• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

elwood

Reaction score

Welcome Londonspykid

I wore a blazer in 1971 - in our area (Greater Manchester) they were very popular at that time. Most people wore black with silver buttons (3) however I had a navy one. I seem to recall that mine had side vents, though I couldn't swear to that. The wearing of football badges was not seen that often by us but VERY popular was a badge depicting a red rose of Lancashire (in Yorkshire they wore a white rose badge). I would guess that neither of these would have much appeal to you. Badges of the Twisted Wheel Club were sometimes seen (but only if the wearer had actually attended) I never wore a badge on mine. Lapels at this time had become a little wider than those on a sixties Mod suit.

Welcome again, Londonspykid.

I can't add much to what roytonboy said about blazers in the Manchester area (1971): most prevalent were black barathea, 3-button single-breasted, silver buttons, badges as described. My recollection is also of double vents: seemed to make it easier for cool posing with hands in trouser pockets. I think I also may have posted earlier about seeing some extreme variations on sleeve buttons - one lad round my way had them reaching almost to his elbows.

elwood

Reaction score

On the subject of the longevity of style over fashion. There's the above photo of Jack Kennedy... .....and this one of Gerald Ford. It sort of sums up the differences between the 60s and 70s for me. The optimistic, stylish 'Swinging Sixties' didn't happen for everyone, and was positively grim for a lot of people. But in the early-mid 70s, even the leader of the Free World looked depressed and dressed like crap.
Gerald Ford looks like he's wearing Ruperts with matching jacket - a Rupert suit! (Not that I ever saw such a hideous outfit as a Rupert suit ... No doubt someone will now recall one :D )

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked up this suede trucker jacket at a vintage market. I had been looking out for one for quite some time - okay it's not a Levi, but I would have given an eyeball for it when I was 17! It looks good on. There's a story attached to it, though, and as I don't know yet whether it has a happy ending, I'll keep it back for now.

Aces and Eights

Reaction score

There's an ebay seller that's selling a bunch of these Oxford BDs at £13 a pop (including p&p). There's pastel yellow, pink, black, white and blue. I might take a punt on a couple at that price.
Thanks for the link Inks. Bought 2 and for the money they are good

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just picked up this suede trucker jacket at a vintage market. I had been looking out for one for quite some time - okay it's not a Levi, but I would have given an eyeball for it when I was 17! It looks good on. There's a story attached to it, though, and as I don't know yet whether it has a happy ending, I'll keep it back for now.

Now,I am not talking to you........:D

Good looking Jacket M-o-M.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Welcome again, Londonspykid.

I can't add much to what roytonboy said about blazers in the Manchester area (1971): most prevalent were black barathea, 3-button single-breasted, silver buttons, badges as described. My recollection is also of double vents: seemed to make it easier for cool posing with hands in trouser pockets. I think I also may have posted earlier about seeing some extreme variations on sleeve buttons - one lad round my way had them reaching almost to his elbows.

Harry Fenton only sold single vent Blazers.I did not really get into double vents until later.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry I cannot bring it over,but anybody interested in all Leather Brogues(Black) go to the Mod Clothing and see some for £49.00(I kid you not).Look pretty tidy to me-old British Brogue Style,only in a few sizes only.

I am not on commission ......:)

Aces and Eights

Reaction score
I ordered a couple of the white ones the other day. What's their sizing like ? I got the large.

I bought xxl and was pleasantly surprised that they were a generous cut. No rear pleat but I was not looking to replicate a Ben Sherman - these are ok and for £13 they are good value.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads