• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clouseau, I have been to Paris several times,but i have never been clothes/shoe shopping there,are there any shops that you would recommend for people on this thread ?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Clouseau, I have been to Paris several times,but i have never been clothes/shoe shopping there,are there any shops that you would recommend for people on this thread ?
The problem is that i mostly like british clothes. So i don't think it would be interesting for you, because they are more expensive in France !
The men's french clothes shops i used to like tend to disappear. There are still very "chic", classy (& very expensive) shops like Charvet and Arnys. Those shops could be interesting during the sales. For years now, like most Parisians, i only buy clothes during the winter or summer sales.
You will find most of the trendy shops in the Halles, Marais and Bastille areas.
About Bexley, i did noticed the calf leather, but it seemed very thin, like the soles that do indeed need a supplementary rubber sole...

corker23

Reaction score
I have just picked up a new Brooks Bros shirt today for £20 from tkmax! Needless to say I am very pleased. Gave me an idea for the book title tho: Smarten up, Button down.

Reaction score
Probably looks good on you,personally I would not be seen dead in them.
smile.gif

Well I do have a certain flare for sure....
mwink[1].gif

Basset

Reaction score
Basset, Thanks for the info,its ok i will hang on and find another tailor. I find it a bit depressing that when i was younger there was a lot of clothes/shoes that i wanted but couldnt afford,then you go through the mortgage/family years (not much spare cash) then when you get to my age and have a bit of disposable income the things that you want are not available.I went into Bristol on saturday the shops were full of rubbish,the only items that i liked were some button down shirts in M and S,and a Jasper Conran "harrington" in Debenhams...they didnt have one in large,not a problem i think ,i will order one online haha all sizes out of stock.So a few hours wasted and i had to pay for car parking!!.I expect some people on here might ask why the Jasper Conran "harrington" theres loads of cheaper ones available,i like it because it has a plain lining not tartan (heresy i know) i liked the navy colour and it seemed well made.

No sweat, M&S do some nice shirts and there not out the way money wise.

Jasper conran, Jasper carrot who cares, if you like it and it fits the look/style, why not, although personaly it has to be a tartan lining for me.

As for the high street shops waste of time in general, overpriced goods, poorly made with a flash label

loempiavreter

Reaction score
So Kevin Rowland (from Dexy's Midnight Runners) replied to me on another discussion portal, there's a possibility we can get him to give some input for the book.

Here's what he replied to me:
Im very London centric about it all. Originally being from wolverhampton- I moved to Harrow when i was 11} and going to football, i was aware of what the northerners were wearing, and although some of it was interesting at the time, and i liked it and the fact that it was countrywide, retrospectively, im much more interested in those that were up the front and really took the risks. Id pretty much forgotten about Jungle Greens {i had a pair, and your right, that came from east London} but not MA- 1 flying jackets {we called them zippers}. Id like to hear more about the book, as i feel its the most misunderstood youth cult of the lot. But i dont think the experince of a 'skinhead' buying say for example, a prince of wales harrington jacket in 70\71 from a market stall in Coventry is relevant to anything. Im really only interested in the pioneers - the cool ones. Im not saying i was one, but i knew what was going on. So if its about that, id be interested, if its general, i wouldnt. Ive already tried. Anyway, i dont want to piss off the OMs, so please pm me. Best

Last edited:

Watermelon man

Reaction score
I hesitate to write this, as a newcomer to this forum and one who seldom contributes, but in my opinion 'Walk proud', 'Walking proud' and similar titles are poor, for the reasons 'Buttons' suggests. They might have resonance with a US readership, or those who know their reggae, but not for the potential purchasers of the book in the UK.

A black-and-white collage is far better than a coloured logo, as it gives someone glancing at the cover an immediate impression of both the contents and the period that the book's about.

But, if published commercially, both cover and title will ultimately be the decision of the publisher, and you may find that neither reflect particularly well on the book's contents, and you don't like 'em -- they are there merely to sell the product.

Here's an excerpt from a brief guide to self-publishing (by Stewart Ferris):

--

How can I choose the right title and subtitle for my book?

Many books that you see in bookshops do not display the original title thought up by the author. Publishers commonly have to think of a better title in order to increase the selling potential of the book. The title and subtitle combination that you choose for your book can mean the difference between success and failure. Those few words printed on the front cover have the power to grab your attention and your wallet.

The title tells a potential reader what the book is about, and the subtitle gives them a reason to buy it. ‘How to Publish Your Own Book’ is the title of this book, but the line ‘Secrets from the Inside’ gently nudges the reader towards a purchasing decision, which will be backed up by the blurb on the back cover.

It’s not just the readers who need to be attracted by your title: bookshop managers are more likely to stock a book that has a clever, distinctive, topical or simply appropriate title. To this end, spend some time studying the titles and subtitles of competing books to see if they use wordplay, idioms, clichés with a twist or a particular vocabulary. Try to match the ‘feel’ that these books evoke when choosing your own title.
--

To Ferris's comments, it would be wise to add, these days, that you also have to think, when considering a title, of the terms a potential purchaser might use when searching on Amazon or other online bookshop, although you could leave those words to the subtitle I guess.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hesitate to write this, as a newcomer to this forum and one who seldom contributes, but in my opinion 'Walk proud', 'Walking proud' and similar titles are poor, for the reasons 'Buttons' suggests. They might have resonance with a US readership, or those who know their reggae, but not for the potential purchasers of the book in the UK.
The association with the reggae tune isn't important. The fact that it is a short-and-sharp title is. The subject matter can be conveyed in the sub-title.
A black-and-white collage is far better than a coloured logo, as it gives someone glancing at the cover an immediate impression of both the contents and the period that the book's about.
That's what I thought. :) Most of the snapshot photography of that time was b/w anyway. I can hand this idea over to a proper graphic artist/designer.
But, if published commercially, both cover and title will ultimately be the decision of the publisher, and you may find that neither reflect particularly well on the book's contents, and you don't like 'em -- they are there merely to sell the product.
That's what I said. Don't forget - I'm a literary agent. :)
Here's an excerpt from a brief guide to self-publishing (by Stewart Ferris): --
How can I choose the right title and subtitle for my book?

Many books that you see in bookshops do not display the original title thought up by the author. Publishers commonly have to think of a better title in order to increase the selling potential of the book. The title and subtitle combination that you choose for your book can mean the difference between success and failure. Those few words printed on the front cover have the power to grab your attention and your wallet.

The title tells a potential reader what the book is about, and the subtitle gives them a reason to buy it. ‘How to Publish Your Own Book’ is the title of this book, but the line ‘Secrets from the Inside’ gently nudges the reader towards a purchasing decision, which will be backed up by the blurb on the back cover.

It’s not just the readers who need to be attracted by your title: bookshop managers are more likely to stock a book that has a clever, distinctive, topical or simply appropriate title. To this end, spend some time studying the titles and subtitles of competing books to see if they use wordplay, idioms, clichés with a twist or a particular vocabulary. Try to match the ‘feel’ that these books evoke when choosing your own title.
--

To Ferris's comments, it would be wise to add, these days, that you also have to think, when considering a title, of the terms a potential purchaser might use when searching on Amazon or other online bookshop, although you could leave those words to the subtitle I guess.

Preaching to the choir, mate! "Skin & Toniks-A Few Good Years Of British Style." - someone suggested; this isn't a bad idea, but it throws the whole emphasis onto the clothes, which isn't what the book is going to do. I'm very grateful for everyone's ideas so far.

Last edited:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watermelon man,it was not the Record itself-I did not have it in `69.It was a Title suggestion and the year was right.Nothing more,nothing less.How about giving some suggestions?
Anything with "Skinhead"in the Title these days would automatically get kept off the Shelves.I would be honest here and say that I do not mind Sales in America.:)

buttons

Reaction score

Agree on that.At least he had the taste of what was about-in the 60s.

Kevin R was a skinhead at the time, so he's probably got something to offer. Think he just needs grilling with the right questions. Have read about him in a couple of places before. He was very much into style and fashion, pushing boundaries and creating something new. Guessing he wasn't a skinhead long for the same reasons.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The problem is that i mostly like british clothes. So i don't think it would be interesting for you, because they are more expensive in France !
The men's french clothes shops i used to like tend to disappear. There are still very "chic", classy (& very expensive) shops like Charvet and Arnys. Those shops could be interesting during the sales. For years now, like most Parisians, i only buy clothes during the winter or summer sales.
You will find most of the trendy shops in the Halles, Marais and Bastille areas. 
About Bexley, i did noticed the calf leather, but it seemed very thin, like the soles that do indeed need a supplementary rubber sole...

Paris is very expensive for Brits these days. I went when my bills were paid by work.

That said, there seem to be a lot of inexpensive shoe shops like Bexley, Finsbury etc. even in more upmarket areas. I bought near Madeleine metro station. Les Halles, Marais was good for cafes.

Old England was an interesting shop...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads