• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

yankmod

Reaction score
I like the Photo Montage.Would help to identify (60's Skins) and Intrigue (original photos instead of an illustration which may not indicate the years) I wonder if it's a waste of time to try and interest an audience that has no knowledge of Original Skins.Might be too wide a net to cast.Choosing and narrowing the choices for Photos will be tough.Getting an Artist with Computer Graphic skills would help.

Gsvs5

Reaction score
f you don't mind my input and knee jerk reaction.....

Skin & Tonics -- A Few Good Years of British Style

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Hi Cerneabbas.

I was in the area this afternoon of a Bexley shop (35 Bd Henri IV, Paris 75004)

Took pictures of their Longwing.
Bexley is a French make. The leather comes from France, but the shoes are made in Italy or in Portugal.
In the "dress shoe" category, like the models in picture, you'll pay 129 euros for one pair, 209 euros for two pairs.
They don't look too bad, but i think they are not as sturdy as Loakes, to stay in more or less the same price category.

Cheers

Gsvs5

Reaction score
I wish i could use photoshop to show what is in my head.....
An idea i had for a cover was something like these ,but using '69 era scooters a having the bulk of the image in colour and the mirror reflection in B&W showing an image from the original period also.

I think it gives the connection with Mod,the sense of reflection on history while being relatively modern in style.
Costs might be a problem though !

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clouseau. Thank you for the pictures and information.I had wondered where the Bexley shoes were made.Two pairs for 209 euros would be £88 each pair,i think that the Loake is £120.I think that the Bexley shoes look very smart and i will get a pair (a not too expensive experiment) they are slightly different to what is easily available locally and i quite enjoy being different.

roytonboy

Reaction score
i've looked at that Paynes site before Ed,but it seems there are a lot more photos now.Obviously they must have had a "No Jeans" policy.The photo taken from above of everyone dancing in front of the Band ( Big ' E' ? ) is a classic.I remember seeing Major Lance back then and was surprised that his band were all white guys.I think they were called 'Tam o Shanter' IIRC? Must have been local session players hired for the gigs.The photos remind me a lot of my local clubs and mates ,where on any given night for a few years you could have photographed a group of 20-30 people and it would be all the same faces but with gradually changing hair styles and collar styles.
I saw Major Lance play in October 1973 - there were only about two dozen people there!

roytonboy

Reaction score
f you don't mind my input and knee jerk reaction.....

Skin & Tonics -- A Few Good Years of British Style

Very clever - probably the sort of word play that would "hit the spot".

How about:

"Short and Sharp"
"To Grade One and Back"
"Rough and Smooth"
"Styling 69"
"Cream of the Crop"

......just off the top of my head........

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brownie, this is precisely why I asked. I clearly recalled that 'Walking Proud' had been suggested.

I think the image you're thinking about was Jason's graphic, which I have been using on the agency web site just to add a splash of colour. It's not necessarily going to be the book's cover.

No it was not Jason`s,I like that and the other Graphics.There was something Posted,quite a few hundred Pages ago where it showed a Skinhead(with possibly a Sledgehammer) that reminded me of the way Media was thinking-we were Right Wing Thugs(or similar portrayal).It had "Walk Proud" over it.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Walking Proud" was a Reggae Tune that was released in `69-right at the height of the Skinhead Fashion.We all walked proud then,and I know many of us still walk that way now.There have been some good sub titles suggested-"Skin and Tonics-A Few Good Years Of British Style" is one,though I would spell Tonics like the Mohair "Tonik".:)

I think the Picture I am on about could be American(don`t know for sure)

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quick snap of Browniecj and Buttons at a reggae do in Nottingham at the weekend.
I even got to meet Mrs Brownie.
Great night.

God Buttons,were we that p*ss*d,that we laid on each other!!!!:D:D Good Photo though.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi Cerneabbas. I was in the area this afternoon of a Bexley shop (35 Bd Henri IV, Paris 75004) Took pictures of their Longwing. Bexley is a French make. The leather comes from France, but the shoes are made in Italy or in Portugal. In the "dress shoe" category, like the models in picture, you'll pay 129 euros for one pair, 209 euros for two pairs. They don't look too bad, but i think they are not as sturdy as Loakes, to stay in more or less the same price category. Cheers
Bexley shoes tend to be calf rather than polished leather like Loake Royals. Normally you pay more for calf because polished is often poorer leather that has been treated to hide imperfections. I have Bexleys - not the longwings - and I am pleased with them. The shop assistants tell you to get rubber soles put on so I think they might wear quickly but I put Woolworth stick-ons on mine and they have been fine.

yankmod

Reaction score
A few things.I agree with browniecj."Walkin Proud" Skin & Toniks-A Few Good Years Of British Style.Nice one Gsvs5.Like the idea of the Scooter rear view mirror effect as well.M.O.M. What happened to using the photo of the skin in front of the Blackboard as the cover photo.Maybe you could marry that with Gsvs5's idea.The pic of the skinhead in the rear view mirror.Found these vintage Brooks Bros.('71 to '81)Like I had.Was remembering the smell of them new in the store and the feel of the fabric.Loved these shirts.Cheap as well on this site.http://www.etsy.com/listing/107877416/essential-vintage-brooks-brothers-makers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads