• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shame about Micky Greenaway-always remember hearing the Zigger Zagger,coming from the Shed.

Skinheads never wore Cravats(that was earlier Mod)but we did wear the Scarves tied like Cravats inside our Coats.

Sounds like Bob the Badger you were at a few Games I was at-especially being with West Ham,within the Shed.Never went North.West Ham would regularly turn on themselves-I have seen it happen on a few occasions.:)

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Horrorshow platties there brothers :D

Shocked at how dated the 80s casuals look. Not a timeless fashion was it?

Bloody hell they were lairy ol' times weren't they?

Much prefer looking at Pictures of Women,walking along Carnaby Street.:)

Watermelon man

Reaction score
Something about Sambas being Mod wear.

I'll leave that to your superior age and knowledge. I lived through the mid-60s but wasn't aware of all Mod fashions then, being little more than a toddler
smile.gif
But by the '70s all of us skins who could afford them round our neck of the woods had Sambas. Not a 'Green flash' or 'black flash'
satisfied.gif
in sight, though
rotflmao.gif

Last edited:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll leave that to your superior age and knowledge. I lived through the mid-60s but wasn't aware of all Mod fashions then, being little more than a toddler :)  But by the '70s all of us skins who could afford them round our neck of the woods had Sambas. Not a 'Green flash' or 'black flash' :satisfied:  in sight, though :rotflmao:

I thought I looked bloody smart,in `68 :slayer: :D

Spoken to a few 70s Skinheads and they were worn the 2nd time around.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shame about Micky Greenaway-always remember hearing the Zigger Zagger,coming from the Shed.

Skinheads never wore Cravats(that was earlier Mod)but we did wear the Scarves tied like Cravats inside our Coats.

Sounds like Bob the Badger you were at a few Games I was at-especially being with West Ham,within the Shed.Never went North.West Ham would regularly turn on themselves-I have seen it happen on a few occasions.:)

I remember being persuaded to take the West Ham End..:D About 60 of us young naive Skinheads got into their end early.. hardly any West Ham was there, as the End filled up a mob of older blokes came into the end wearing Chelsea scarfs chanting Chelsea...some of the lads with us did not suss and started to chant Chelsea back to them, next min out came the West Hame scarfs ..all hell broke loose, we ended running on the pitch to get away, Boys fighting Men,Happy days :D

yankmod

Reaction score
Since the thread is called Mod To Suedehead now.I'm wondering about the transition from Mod to Skinhead to Suedehead.A few hundred pages back someone(browniecj maybea)said it was so gradual it was hardly noticeable.I know browniecj was a mod and then skin and M.O.M was as well (great photos from M.O.M.show the transistion.)Any recollections would be appreciated and may help newcomers to understand the new title.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He does look old in the pic i must admit, l remember walking down Kings Rd in 76 with my future wife. All these Punks running around . I felt old. I was 22 at the time lol.

I remember feeling 'old' at 22 too. It seemed like a whole different world in the mid 70s.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When the book is ready I suggest a parade with Original skins and thier many young admirer's causeing traffic jams and general dismay.I can see the headlines."Original Skinhead Mobs return to reignite old rivalries"  Happy Martin Luther King Day.

The way things are going we'll all be on bloody zimmer frames by the time that happens! :(

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Since the thread is called Mod To Suedehead now.I'm wondering about the transition from Mod to Skinhead to Suedehead.A few hundred pages back someone(browniecj maybea)said it was so gradual it was hardly noticeable.I know browniecj was a mod and then skin and M.O.M was as well (great photos from M.O.M.show the transistion.)Any recollections would be appreciated and may help newcomers to understand the new title.

I think I've said all this before, but in '68 in S E London the term 'skinhead' was a term of abuse. It's what the greasers used to call us. If you called someone 'skinhead' you were asking for a frown at best and a knuckle sandwich at worst. 'Up North' the term 'mod' was still in use, but when I got to S E London I got weird looks from people when I used that word. I asked "What do you call yourselves, then?" and got the reply "Nothing really. 'Totters' maybe." (I first had this conversation in the Wimpy Bar in Bromley, N Kent). I also remember one bloke in a pub singing the words "I'm a lonely little Totter in a Greaser pub..." (to the tune of 'I'm a lonely little petunia in an onion patch') but I think he made it up on the spot.

Yes, the transition was hardly noticeable. It wasn't like we woke up one morning and said, "Let's all change our shirts for Ben Shermans, our monkey jackets for Harringtons, and our shoes for brogues from the Squire Shop, and start calling ourselves Skinheads." Items of clothing simply started coming into fashion and were worn with what we already had. I bought Bens because I liked button-down shirts; I bought a Harrington because it looked smart, and so on.

I think one of the things I enjoyed most about that era was going into the West Indian record shop in Deptford on Saturdays, where the black manager used to spin records for us and I'd maybe buy a couple.

yankmod

Reaction score
The way things are going we'll all be on bloody zimmer frames by the time that happens!
frown.gif
Don't get to down M.O.M.It's a monumental task.Wish there was some way we all could help you carry the load.Little Queenie is no doubt capable but maybe it will take a crew.Good stuff above regarding the transition from Mod to Suedehead.

Sirryacus

Reaction score
Sambas I meant.
smile.gif
You mean the Adidas Samba right? I've read at numerous sources people started wearing those to avoid police attention as they were still looking for Dr. Martens boots and ignored people wearing such trainers at the time until those later became established, many also talk about some wearing Reebok Classics but that is quite a while later those are a personal favorite of mine as are the Club Classic C, I picked up some Adidas SL 72 recently very similar to the Samba.

Last edited:

flyfronted

Reaction score
Horrorshow platties there brothers
biggrin.gif

Shocked at how dated the 80s casuals look. Not a timeless fashion was it?

Bloody hell they were lairy ol' times weren't they?
The 80s Casual look is still the predominant look amongst lads / kids nearly 30 years after it started . Trainers , Straight jeans , Hooded designer jackets , lacoste / Ralph Lauren Polo's .. add the fact everyone seems to wear chunky Brogues and button down collar shirts and Harrington's again .. its like Back to the Future out there .

Mods morph to Skins . Skins to Suedeheads . Suedeheads to Soul Boys . Soul Boys to Casuals ( alongside the Skinhead revivalists who also jumped on the casual bandwagon later ) .. its now a mix n match London Look. Stuarts in the Bush is a prime example of a shop that sells Skin and Casual classics http://www.stuartslondon.com/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads