• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow, never would have guessed this thread to go where it has!
Did Any of you see or hear about sabbath when they were still called Earth in '69?

Not really.The big thing was ,the changing of the Name and the first Album.Nothing had been done before like it-or shall I say,as deep as that.I had seen "Earth"advertised on Posters(stuck up) that gave dates of up and coming Concerts-at the Civic Hall(mind you some of them were old).I used to stand at a Bus Stop and there was an old Poster for the "Ricky Tick"Club,promoting a Rolling Stones visit.The Club had shut down around `66,this was 3 years later.Wish I could have got that Poster-but someone had done his job properly and pasted it to wood.It was too big(the old door I mean)to get it on the Bus!!!!:)

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmmmm...
I was out on the lash one night with a mate - skinny Den (RIP) - and we got into a ruck with some 'paddies'.
As a result me and him, versus four, big, Irish fellas... I was launched through the fruit & veg shop window.
Now, I was 'tired and emotional' and, upon waking up - thank fuq I was wearing a long, leather coat - circa 1972 - I was only concussed and had a few stitches in the head... I survived without lacerations.
But, I was taken to the Manchester Royal Infirmary (MRI), where I experienced some of the craziest 'hallucinations' you wouldn't want to have had.
I was put in a side ward, having been unconscious for a while - remember, this was 40 years ago - I 'awoke' to find a nun, looking on me and telling me I'd be fine... I just about shat masel'!
As a Scottish 'Prod', nuns were like garlic to a vampire and I went 'radio-rental'... and legged it... tubes and all.
In later years, I checked if the MRI, had been an 'alms-house' or whether the land had been home to a convent or some such place.... it hadn't.
But, I did meet a locum, doctor, who reckoned that staff had encountered people, wearing 'obscure clothes' appearing in corridors that were, essentially, 'cul-de-sacs' who had just 'vanished'.
To this day, all those years ago, I know what I saw and, honest, I'm no more of a nutter, than you lot. (Draw your own conclusions on the last bit.) :nodding:

I had a Ghost visit me when I was running a Bar,in Cyprus.It was mid morning,so a bit early for the Brandy,I had just changed Barrels ready for the evening Trade.I came from the back and saw a young Woman(dressed in Black) standing at the Bar.I said "I won`t keep you a minute".When I came back-after putting the empty Keg away,She was not there.I thought the Lady may have gone to the Toilet so I carried on working.After a while,I asked the two Men in the Bar had they seen where the Lady had gone.Both looked at me as if I was mad.Both said,nobody had been in!!!
The Brandy came out then!!!!

Soundsandpressure,there were no Goths in the 60s but I do believe "Sabbath" had something to do with starting that Fashion up.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

International Times (IT) 1969
http://cwblacks.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/13.jpg
If your eyes are anything like mine (may God help you :embar:) you'll need to use the 'zoom' on your pc/mac

Ed, I think it was this item in IT which made me walk into their offices and talk to them about setting up 'Yell'. I saw this as an indication that if we were given somewhere to talk about ourselves we would. As you know, it didn't quite work out like that.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ed, I hear what you say about the organ instrumentals. I don't think we liked things that were packaged for us - reggae tracks with 'Skinhead' jammed into the title, Slade, and (I'm sorry to admit) Yell, and so on.

I can remember two of the first blokes in the Lewisham area to leave the skinhead thing behind. I remember them saying, "Reggae's all the same, the same heavy one-drop on the third beat." And I was saying something to them like: "If a reggae track is good it's good, and anyway you liked it yesterday so how come you're so much 'wiser' today?" I thought they were adopting a superior attitude, and I still do think that. But to be honest I didn't like all the smooth, UK-produced stuff that was coming out. Desmond Dekker's stuff in patois had been so good that records like 'You Can Get It If You Really Want It' with its string section backing just sounded wrong.

There was still good stuff around, like Tommy McCook's 'Last Flight to Reggae City', but reggae did seem to be in the doldrums in the early 70s until all the Jah Lion inna Zion stuff came along.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
Ed, I hear what you say about the organ instrumentals. I don't think we liked things that were packaged for us - reggae tracks with 'Skinhead' jammed into the title, Slade, and (I'm sorry to admit) Yell, and so on.

T'was not me - Browniecj, is your man. :happy:

This lot works for me, mind:

http://www.accuradio.com/#!/search/reggae/

(Particularly 'Reggae Wonderland'.) :D

Some of it is truly dire, but you can, if you try, just visualise a group of guys in Bridgetown hastlly scribbling lyrics and chords down on the back of a beermat, saying: 'This'll do - the boneheads (sic) will love this...! :embar:)

Last edited:

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
Might stir a few memories: http://www.squidoo.com/discomusic

(Use the links.)

If you can be arsed: look at the punters in the Tremeloes vid... not skins, but just ordinary folk, of the day - fascinating. (Well, I think it is.) :nodding:

Where did my 'yoof' go? (Don't say 'he's' working in Debenhams!!!) :)

Last edited:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Might stir a few memories: http://www.squidoo.com/discomusic
(Use the links.)
If you can be arsed: look at the punters in the Tremeloes vid... not skins, but just ordinary folk, of the day - fascinating. (Well, I think it is.) :nodding:
Where did my 'yoof' go? (Don't say 'he's' working in Debenhams!!!) :)

I thought it was funny when they bunched Radio Luxembourg with the Pirate Stations.Then I read how the B.B.C. was at war with the Station.In my Youth,it was the nearest we could get to American Radio(Commercials).In the middle 60s you could get a series of Albums,on Chess,that highlighted different American Stations-during the 50s and early 60s.I was lucky enough to go and visit Radio Luxembourg(in Luxembourg) and get shown around by Tony Prince(this would have been about `62/`63.I was in the Scouts).Who could forget Horace Batchelor and his wonder Pools System,from Keynsham in Bristol.My Dad tried it and got F.A. :)

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

I thought it was funny when they bunched Radio Luxembourg with the Pirate Stations.Then I read how the B.B.C. was at war with the Station.In my Youth,it was the nearest we could get to American Radio(Commercials).In the middle 60s you could get a series of Albums,on Chess,that highlighted different American Stations-during the 50s and early 60s.I was lucky enough to go and visit Radio Luxembourg(in Luxembourg) and get shown around by Tony Prince(this would have been about `62/`63.I was in the Scouts).Who could forget Horace Batchelor and his wonder Pools System,from Keynsham in Bristol.My Dad tried it and got F.A. :)
I must be slightly younger than you... 'cos I didn't know about K-e-y-n-s-h-a-m, Bristol until some of the old hacks where I worked, went on about it - circa '71-72.

Here in NW England, Luxembourg never had a huge audience, due to the limitations of a.m. broadcasting. (Fading in-and-out...)

I know this now - as a licensed radio amateur (ham) - but never understood it back then.

I remember Stuart Henry - former Radio 1 - broadcasting and people thinking he was pissed... the boy had MS. :brick:

Cop a load of this:

Basset

Reaction score
I thought it was funny when they bunched Radio Luxembourg with the Pirate Stations.Then I read how the B.B.C. was at war with the Station.In my Youth,it was the nearest we could get to American Radio(Commercials).In the middle 60s you could get a series of Albums,on Chess,that highlighted different American Stations-during the 50s and early 60s.I was lucky enough to go and visit Radio Luxembourg(in Luxembourg) and get shown around by Tony Prince(this would have been about `62/`63.I was in the Scouts).Who could forget Horace Batchelor and his wonder Pools System,from Keynsham in Bristol.My Dad tried it and got F.A.
smile.gif

Used to love doing the pools, if i remember rightly the bloke would come round sometime midweek to pick the money up/give you next weeks coupon, ive been plastering nearly thirty years now, alas like your dad i was rubbish at it
smile.gif

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I must be slightly younger than you... 'cos I didn't know about K-e-y-n-s-h-a-m, Bristol until some of the old hacks where I worked, went on about it - circa '71-72.
Here in NW England, Luxembourg never had a huge audience, due to the limitations of a.m. broadcasting. (Fading in-and-out...)
I know this now - as a licensed radio amateur (ham) - but never understood it back then.
I remember Stuart Henry - former Radio 1 - broadcasting and people thinking he was pissed... the boy had MS. :brick:
Cop a load of this:

It faded in and out,and when you were listening under the Sheets,you were short of options.I liked Stuart Henry.He was not a big Name "jock" like Noel Edmonds,Dave Lee Travis,or David Hamilton etc.,but that is why I liked him-the rest were "wrist-jobs".

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Used to love doing the pools, if i remember rightly the bloke would come round sometime midweek to pick the money up/give you next weeks coupon, ive been plastering nearly thirty years now, alas like your dad i was rubbish at it :)

Thats right,remember them and the Man from "Prudential".You also had the Man who would come around and give you "Tick",if something special was coming up.I can remember my Mum standing at the door,or when borrowing money(without my Dad knowing,he was dead against these People)just inside the door.Neighbours,you see.But everybody was at it .If only he knew!!!!
I did the Pools once and won £40.That was the end of my "Pools Winners"Luck!!

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can remember two of the first blokes in the Lewisham area to leave the skinhead thing behind. I remember them saying, "Reggae's all the same, the same heavy one-drop on the third beat." And I was saying something to them like: "If a reggae track is good it's good, and anyway you liked it yesterday so how come you're so much 'wiser' today?" I thought they were adopting a superior attitude, and I still do think that. But to be honest I didn't like all the smooth, UK-produced stuff that was coming out. Desmond Dekker's stuff in patois had been so good that records like 'You Can Get It If You Really Want It' with its string section backing just sounded wrong.
There was still good stuff around, like Tommy McCook's 'Last Flight to Reggae City', but reggae did seem to be in the doldrums in the early 70s until all the Jah Lion inna Zion stuff came along.

I had been seriously into Rocksteady and Early Reggae,so when I heard the "Skinhead"Records etc.,I thought Pop.Desmond Dekker was a good case in point.Saw him "Live" 3 times.The first,brilliant.The second so,so and the third "I`m a Star" crap.He had forgotten who had put him there.This also happened in the 70s with Marley.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Used to love doing the pools, if i remember rightly the bloke would come round sometime midweek to pick the money up/give you next weeks coupon, ive been plastering nearly thirty years now, alas like your dad i was rubbish at it :)
... I've never met a poor plasterer - you're just greedy. :happy:

And don't get me on plumbers... :satisfied:

Basset

Reaction score
... I've never met a poor plasterer - you're just greedy.
happy.gif

And don't get me on plumbers...
satisfied.gif

Good honest graft should equal good honest money, not these days, i cant afford to insure the Bentley these days
smile.gif
, plumbing is the devils work

Basset

Reaction score
Thats right,remember them and the Man from "Prudential".You also had the Man who would come around and give you "Tick",if something special was coming up.I can remember my Mum standing at the door,or when borrowing money(without my Dad knowing,he was dead against these People)just inside the door.Neighbours,you see.But everybody was at it .If only he knew!!!!
I did the Pools once and won £40.That was the end of my "Pools Winners"Luck!!

smile.gif
i remember in the 70's getting excited when the alpine man was due, then being gutted when we were last on the round and all they had left was dandelion and burdock, yuk!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads