• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi, i reckon if you were a mod who turned into a skin you were probably more into the fashion...

That's about the size of it. Where I was at the time (S E London) there wasn't a sudden change. I moved down from the North in '68 and the only big differences in what was being worn was jungle green strides and cherry red boots. Then something might come in - say, jodhpur boots (riders) - and I'd think "Okay I'll get a pair". Or Ben Sherman shirts, and I'd think, "They look smart, and it's not like I haven't worn button-down shirts before", and I'd buy one. And so it went on. I didn't even have to change my hairstyle, I kept the same V-neck sweaters, the same Levis.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pic looks early/mid 70's but this is exactly how I've always imagined the
skinhead friendly youth clubs to be.(could be a boozer tho, with the ciggie machine)

In S E London those skirts with tartan going crosswise came into fashion for girls in early 1970, as far as I remember. But the guys' hair would seem to make it a bit later than that.

buttons

Reaction score

first wave mod - Jazz, second wave - RnB, 3rd wave - the who/small faces. if things were only that simple.

Here's one for 'Buttons', is this your good self on the far left on this CD cover ?  ;)

It is indeed S&P.
Wide parallel Wranglers, Black 8 hole Martens, Penny Collared shirt and braces.
King Ludd pub, IOW about 10-11 years ago.

I've got some oxford bags nearly as wide as you Ed, but they're for special occasions only!

harrysgame

Reaction score

I forgot the original reason I came back on here lol. Although I'm not strictly a skinhead anymore I did just pick up a sheepskin off evilbay. Would like a little gentle criticism... I did a couple of years of a tailors apprenticeship when I were a lad and my mum is a gun dressmaker so some alterations aren't entirely out of the question...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330710035091?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

The sheepskin is a ladies coat. The buttons do up the ladies side. Apart from that looks like a nice coat.

soundsnpressure

Reaction score
The sheepskin is a ladies coat. The buttons do up the ladies side. Apart from that looks like a nice coat.
True.
But to be fair, i've walked into foreign sheepskin establishments e.g. Spain,Cyprus,Malta etc. And there are large sheepskin coats, obviously men sizes that are in the mens section, with the button eyelets on the womens side. I doubt all foreign manufacturers of sheepskins are aware of this detail (that's if this coat is foreign in origin?) But I'm probably wrong. Maybe they are trying to off-load over-sized womens coats in the mens. Anyway, nothing wrong with a bit of ***********ing
rotflmao.gif

Last edited:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

True.
But to be fair, i've walked into foreign sheepskin establishments e.g. Spain,Cyprus,Malta etc. And there are large sheepskin coats, obviously men sizes that are in the mens section, with the button eyelets on the womens side. I doubt all foreign manufacturers of sheepskins are aware of this detail (that's if this coat is foreign in origin?) But I'm probably wrong. Maybe they are trying to off-load over-sized womens coats in the mens. Anyway, nothing wrong with a bit of ***********ing :rotflmao:

At the weekends,my nama is Margaret!!!!:)

Sidney Scott

Reaction score
I do agree with this POV – up to a point. It does depend on the time period we are talking about, which will vary slightly across the country. Royals – brogues, plains and gibsons - were de rigueur for my lot from some time in 1969 to around the late summer of 1970.
Before then, a much greater variety of styles was ‘allowed’ which included British brogues and Italian styles of footwear (Solatios especially). After that date things began to diversify again, of course.
I certainly agree that during that short ‘purist’ phase any minor deviation from the approved path was met with derision!
As to continuing with such a strict code today – I don’t. Surely, one of the few advantages of living now is that we can sample styles from a much wider spectrum but still remain on the right side of the fence.
Having said that, I agree that Royals had a huge significance – partly due to the high quality and price but also the great style, which was quite unlike anything we had seen before.
I'll go along with that. The Royals are the business but there are good brogues around that are of a different style and if a guy walked up the street wearing a pair of maroon Loakes, Levi jeans, Harrington jacket with a Ben Sherman shirt on and close cropped hair, it would be quite obvious what his style and culture is all about. I don't think there is any need to get the tape measure out these days and take things down to an exact specification. One skinhead lass asked me about brogues and money was an issue for her so I told her to head for Clarks. I mean, are Solovair boots the right boots or do they have to be Dr. Martens? Either would do although the former are the real British deal and I have a pair of oxbloods and they are superb to say the least but for someone who's money is a bit tight, the Dr. Marten comes around £30.00 cheaper.

Raff72

Reaction score
Fark I didn't notice that detail... I'll see what the cut is like when it gets here and take it from there. If I don't like it I'll give it to a girl I've known since the late 80s who is still a dyed in the wool skinhead. I'm sure she'll be happy with it... I might even do a little bit of DIY and swap the buttons over to the other side if it's at all possible.

buttons

Reaction score
With most sheepies, the button holes are an intergral part of the front panel, so apart from needing to be quite handy with your suede tailoring, they'll also not cover up well on the other side.
My recommendation is give it up, admit the error and buy a bloke's sheepskin - they're not that uncommon!
(I know my) Buttons.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

With most sheepies, the button holes are an intergral part of the front panel, so apart from needing to be quite handy with your suede tailoring, they'll also not cover up well on the other side.
My recommendation is give it up, admit the error and buy a bloke's sheepskin - they're not that uncommon!
(I know my) Buttons.

:D:D

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members