• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

War Beast

Reaction score
I got my new DM MiE Vintage 1460's today and I'm very impressed. Even more impressed with the price and service, 84.99 UKP delivered! If anyone's interested, I got them from surfandskatewear.com in Kings Lynn, UK.

That is a pretty good price for those on that site. I've seen other sites with the same pair for much more expensive. Good find.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Caption says 1971. Is this suit more a fair example of the time?
Sorry, had to bung these in!
Made by Skyjump
The shapes and colour of those Budgie jackets remind me of the decor in 'A Clockwork Orange' !:)
I remember family parties and it seemed that everyone was wearing them!

Nice photo Paul and a smart bloke must say, except the shoes, obviously not connected to the Skinhead scene, Budgie Jackets i had a couple sorry to admit, When you think the Skinheads in the 60s was so smart, then the same people, me included wore some of the worse clothing of all time, :D

Just to add thats Interesting, the Budgie jacket made by Skyjump, The same makers that made the Harringtons we wore back in the 60s.

Last edited:

harrysgame

Reaction score

As it happens Alan I was gonna say something about his shoes but i did not know what they was, We did not wear shoes like that around our way, Was it a Northern thing ??
Just to add the suit the lad is wearing, The jacket length is a bit short for a skinhead suit or maybe the lad has grown out of it,:D

My brother and some of his mates had Norwegians, but we were in Northampton at the time. Not sure if it was a northern shoe. I like them, have a pair myself. Wouldn't nessasarily be classed as skinhead shoes, more suedehead smoothie look id say.

As for the suit, yes it looks a bit short in the jacket to me.

soundsnpressure

Reaction score
My brother and some of his mates had Norwegians, but we were in Northampton at the time. Not sure if it was a northern shoe. I like them, have a pair myself. Wouldn't nessasarily be classed as skinhead shoes, more suedehead smoothie look id say.
As for the suit, yes it looks a bit short in the jacket to me.

A superb shoe.
And great in the way that they have never been reproduced to my knowledge.
Only realy seen them at Northern Soul do's. Always liked them.
The only ones (vintage of course) I've ever found on e-bay have never been in my size.

I once found some DM ones on e-bay (age and era unknown) in a size larger than I take, but I was still going to try and win them.
Until on closer inspection the seller had modified the shoes, he had added tassles to the shoes.!
Such a shame. The red and black basket weave to the front was superb.

Bunty - Best photo's I've seen in years. Faultless IMHO.

Last edited:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice photo Paul and a smart bloke must say, except the shoes, obviously not connected to the Skinhead scene, Budgie Jackets i had a couple sorry to admit, When you think the Skinheads in the 60s was so smart, then the same people, me included wore some of the worse clothing of all time, :D
Just to add thats Interesting, the Budgie jacket made by Skyjump, The same makers that made the Harringtons we wore back in the 60s.

The Suit would be a bit out-of-date in `71.By then the broader Lapels were coming in,on Suits.I know Roy has a Photo of mine taken late `70 where I am wearing the two button,wider Lapel style style Jacket.The Tailors told me this was the "Style".It was 3 Ply Tonik though.

I had the Maroon Suede "Budgie" Jacket!

Edmonton-to an East Londoner is North,Bunty :)

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Suit would be a bit out-of-date in `71.By then the broader Lapels were coming in,on Suits.I know Roy has a Photo of mine taken late `70 where I am wearing the two button,wider Lapel style style Jacket.The Tailors told me this was the "Style".It was 3 Ply Tonik though.
I had the Maroon Suede "Budgie" Jacket!
Edmonton-to an East Londoner is North,Bunty :)

Thought i would put the Two pics of Brownie, With Skinhead suit 60s70... and as Colin says late 70s suit,

IMG_0946.jpg

IMG_0947.jpg

Sipreano

Reaction score

The Levi Sta-Prests(back in `69)were worn either Hemmed or with a 1/2" Turn-up.Both looked smart with Boots.

Great, so the 69 skinhead style staprest was in a dress pant style made out of sturdy but soft cotton/poly material with center crease worn either hemmed or with 1/2" turn-ups.
Was it straight leg or tapered?

Would these be accurate representations of that style?:

guys in the middle:

guy on the right:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great, so the 69 skinhead style staprest was in a dress pant style made out of sturdy but soft cotton/poly material with center crease worn either hemmed or with 1/2" turn-ups.
Was it straight leg or tapered?
Would these be accurate representations of that style?:

guys in the middle:

guy on the right:

The Levi Staprest was fairly parallel,

The last pic is of some of the Willesden Mob, outside The White Hart,

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Roy, forgot to ask you this earlier when you posted the pic.....re: corduroys you wore in 60s

did you wear them hemmed short with boots, or did you hem them just at the ankle to wear with shoes? interesting bit about cords being a part of the style, since I dont think i've ever seen an original photo with cords being worn

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Roy, forgot to ask you this earlier when you posted the pic.....re: corduroys you wore in 60s
did you wear them hemmed short with boots, or did you hem them just at the ankle to wear with shoes? interesting bit about cords being a part of the style, since I dont think i've ever seen an original photo with cords being worn

Jason we never really turned cords up simply because the inside of the Cord is plain, so the colour looked different. Just hemmed mate, Cords was a big thing for us, Samurai brought out 3 colours a couple of years ago to exact Levi specs, Beige, Stone Grey and Dark Blue. :)

bunty

Reaction score
Here's some photo of chords Jason that I posted before. I didn't believe it when I heard that Skinheads wore them in the 60s ........ 'Like wot teachers wear? Give over..'

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again Bunty great pics mate.

Yep we all had Cords, Its funny as a 80s Skinhead said to me the other week why am i wearing Cords, He also did not know we wore them, Lost in the mist of time, :)

What you have to remember the cords was Big E Levi's in Jeans style.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads