1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. buttons

buttons Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hopefully that's more visible.

2. Brideshead

Brideshead Well-Known Member

We often struggle to assess just how well dressed people were back in the day. My memories of immaculately turned out boys and girls is often challenged by some of the poor quality images that all too often seem to be all that remain (no disrespect to those above, which I had not seen when I started this!!)

I was deliighted therefore to be reminded of this pic originally posted by Bunty and with the caption 'Butlins Filey 1968'. Perhaps because it was taken by a professional photographer it has stood up well and shows some great detail. It does indeed reveal how well dressed many were.

[​IMG]

The other thing for me is that because it was taken just at that moment in time when the harder-edged look was still emerging it reveals a mature, understated but still very cool look. The guy with the braces and the one he has his left arm around seem to be anticipating the look that was to become so commonplace 12 months later but the others seem to me to retain the understated chic that ruled from 1965 or so until then. In fact almost a timeless look.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  3. Brideshead

Brideshead Well-Known Member

BRUT has been referenced recently. I wore it from 1968 for a year or two and have returned to it recently (sitting rather awkwardly alongside Creed, Floris and Trumper on my shelf today!) What other fragrances did you originals wear in the late 60s? I recall Dior's Eau Sauvage and Moustache de Rochas being popular with my lot.

4. Lasttye

Lasttye Well-Known Member

Thats right John Polo, as in polo neck Shetland wool jumper... or rolled neck, i have mentioned on here before i had a few colours bought out of the Squire shop.
    What people call polo shirts, like Fred Perry as been mentioned are Tennis Shirts, The original was the iconic Lacoste.
    The Tennis/Polo is one of the most Iconic bit of clothing of the 20th Century.
    I started to wear Fred Perry's around 70 had all the colours, One colour that was popular was Orange a very 70s colour.
    These days i have around Forty of this type of shirt, Fred Perry, Ralph Lauren, and Lacoste.

5. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Well-Known Member

I seem to recall that you once told you had problems getting back into belts, when they got back in fashion? Or am I mixing you up with someone else?

6. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Well-Known Member

This one is new to me. Nice find. Any background info other then being from '69 (area for example)?

@Bunty
    Was trying to save a picture from your bro from de-coloring, so I fixed the colors::

This is how it was originally:
    [​IMG]

"fixed" version:
    [​IMG]

Hope you enjoy it.

7. Gramps

Gramps Well-Known Member

I can see where you get the Rude from in your username Rudeboy.

Im from Hartlepool, not from Timbuktu, Fred perry actually made his name as a Table Tennis (or Ping Pong) Player before turning his hand to Tennis. However he will always be best known to the world for the Fashion Brand.

Also played a massive hand in the worlds first Sweatbands (not for Skinheads ;)

Is the lad at the front on the Terrence Spencer picture wearing a Tennis Shirt and Braces?

Rudeboy, and pics of your Ruperts from 72? Where you still a Skinhead, or had you progressed to Suedehead,Smoothie etc?

8. browniecj

browniecj Well-Known Member

I only wore Braces for a short time,during the Skinhead Era-but wore them again in `71/`72 under the Butchers` White Coat(rolled up Trousers were used as well).Seemed funny now how we reverted back to Skinhead "Look",but with Shoulder Length Hair.:)

9. bunty

bunty Well-Known Member

Loempiavreter -Thank you for doing that, it looks fantastic, I'm going to print it off and send it to him....as for the colour of the suit, dark brown or black? I'm colour blind as buggery so it's probably green though! :D

John - Funny that you should pick up on the fella with the braces in the photo, apparently he was locally the very first Mod, Skinhead (with a grade 1 too) and the first lad to grow his hair long and 'turn' smooth. When I mentioned ages ago that a few lads never/rarely wore jeans or Levis jackets - that applied to him . To top that, girls would fall over themselves to chat him up and he was a hard little sod as well. Makes you sick doesn't it?:D I'd love it if he came across this forum.

Braces - And this'll make some of you cringe, were worn 'hanging down' for a while, sorry, horrible I know but it's what I've been told.

10. Lasttye

I think you will find Rudeboy started this Thread 11/2008, aged 47, so he will be 50 now? So that would make him 11 in 72 He would have been to young to have been a Skinhead in 69 or Suedehead in 72. don't think i remember Rudeboy saying he was a original ??

11. Gramps

Gramps Well-Known Member

Must have missunderstood, when he mentioned having Ruperts and POW double breasted Suit in 72/72,

I thought the same as you initially Roy.

12. browniecj

browniecj Well-Known Member

Looks like a Dark Green Suit.Funny I had a Dark Green as well-looked very smart.We go on about Toniks but a lot of Plain Colour Mohair Suits were worn as well.I had a Dark Brown one,as well as a Beige one,Light Blue and a Dark Grey one.

13. Lasttye

In 69 70% of Skinheads was 15/16, the other 30% would have been 14/ then 17/18 year olds, anyone younger cannot claim to be a skinhead, 13 well maybe,:D But not anyone younger, I was 10 in 64 can i claim to be a Mod then, :D

14. Gramps

Gramps Well-Known Member

Well I was Born a Skinhead, obviously I cant remember that long ago, but Ive seen the Pictures, Bald as a coot ;)

15. Darksideoftheforce

Darksideoftheforce Well-Known Member

In the 90s I often saw braces hanging down when wearing tennis shirts (polos)

But I must say I've never seen "emo" hair on a skinhead before.

:facepalm:

[​IMG]

16. Gramps

Gramps Well-Known Member

I think that would be better described as Bad Skinhead Clothes on an EMO.

17. buttons

No detail on the picture I'm afraid. There's another goes with it that I can't find just now but the lad taking the picture is wearing a check Brutus, so its late 69 I'd say. If it wasn't for the check shirt, I'd have said earlier that year, based on what they're all wearing - very back end of mod, including the bird. Bovver boots but no crop yet, plain button down, Smedley etc

18. Lasttye

Please remove that awful pic off this thread, its lowering the standards , :D

2 people like this.
  19. buttons

Ferkin terrible! And nowt to do with what we're talking about.
    Got plenty of bad pictures of 80s boneheads with braces dangling (which I'm not posting) but this is much worse.

Speaking of the dangley braces though, I had heard of it from original times but never seen a picture and never spoke to anyone who mentioned it with fond memories. I'm assuming a fashion statement that came and went fast. Very far flung from the understated cool that was mentioned earlier. Anyone remember a time when it was a good thing? Either way, I can't say I approve, but I'm always interested to hear how it was.

20. Lasttye

I have said this before and Colin said it again today, Braces was worn for a very short time. Although i wore them , i only remember once physically putting a pair on when i put a suit on, It was one of those items that was worn without thinking if that makes sense.
    Wearing braces dangling down, do not get that, whats the point?