• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Midnight Blue Tuxedo -- What Do You Think?

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I personally would have one with matching satin facings, myself. I tend to like smooth things better for semi-formal and for everything to be coordinated. The exception is that DB dinner suit in grey with black facings I saw on The Sartorialist's page (why did he remove the link to here btw?) a while back. It was very eye catching yet had a sort of classic feel to it. I can't explain how.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone think of that old movie with Steve Martin, "Father of the Bride" when reading this thread?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitingStyle
or this oxxford......?

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-900-NWT-Oxxfor...QQcmdZViewItem

Oooh. Me likey. In my size too. Too bad the budget line for "tuxedo" this month is zeroed out.
crazy.gif

mr. magoo

Reaction score
FWIW, I had one made in midnight blue.

On the, maybe, one dozen occasions I have had the chance to wear it, the color is sometimes is noticed but typically not. Usually it's pretty subtle -- i.e., people can tell something's a little "off" about it. If you want to be noticed, get a red or green velvet smoking jacket.

Since I had it made, I had double back vents put in it, which is not "proper", as I'm sure everyone here knows. But I dislike un-vented jackets and thought it would appear more dashing. I'm not so sure the effect came off.

I like the Kiton quite a lot.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about this one?
I am considering seriously to buy it

94_1_b.JPG
38_1.JPG

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Kind of odd, but I like it. If not for the square quarter I'd think it was a converted SB.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
What do you guys think about this one?
The lapels at too narrow for my taste, and let's just say that the button stance is interesting.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks way too light for midnight blue, but then, it's always hard to judge colors accurately in a digital pic.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Both.
Soph, take a couple aspirin and walk it off.

Yeah Soph, be a man!

When and if I have a tuxedo made, it will be midnight navy DB, peak lapels, etc. I'll probably get black facings, since I'm not sure it would be easy to find a bowtie to match midnight blue facings. Of course, I'm 46, so I probably qualify as an "older gentleman".

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Agree with the naysayers: color too light, lapels too narrow. Add to that: don't like the button stance and there appears to be more shoulder than necessary.

To see midnight blue in its true glorious glory, check out the Lesser and Smith formal books. That's what midnight shoud be, in my opinion. Lesser on only has 12 and 14 ounce (seriously impractical for anything but a drafty country house) but Smith goes down to 9.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the lapels, Z.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads