• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mid-century Despots from LIFE Magazine

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
^^ It sounds like you were there.

Do you think Chiang also started the whole fountain pen in your jacket breast pocket thing?

Despotism is such a gold mine of ideas.

- B

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc4
Hurley: "That's an interesting jacket you guys are wearing."

Mao: "It's a 'Mao Jacket'."

Chaing: "No, it's a 'Chaing Jacket'."

Mao: "No, it's a 'Mao Jacket'."

Mao: "No, it's a 'Mao Jacket'.

"Chaing: "No, it's a 'Chaing Jacket'."

... four years of civil war ensued. It's a Mao Jacket.

crackup[1].gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
^^ It sounds like you were there.

Do you think Chiang also started the whole fountain pen in your jacket breast pocket thing?

Despotism is such a gold mine of ideas.

- B

Chiang Kai-Shek used to wear a bullet-proof cloak.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular

fixed this for you
bigstar[1].gif

Chow Chow

Reaction score
Tiny Rowland, who owned A&S (his family still does), was CEO of Lonrho, whose business was largely in Africa. Rowland offered complementary A&S services to curry favor with African rulers.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, nothing from LIFE, but we should not neglect Jean-Bedel Bokassa, again in some very WAYWRN-friendly looks:

bokassa3-9151.jpg

bokassa5.jpg

bokassa9.jpg

A steady diet of Imperial Margarine:

arts-graphics-2008_1129369a.jpg

A man of many hats:

car-bokassa-2.jpg

- B

WTF? From the Sun Ra school of tailoring?
eh.gif

Now Papa Doc, on the other hand -- he knew the score ...
600.gif

Azure

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Who was that leftist, quite the serial killer? The 50K religious people thing have been debunked, the numbers are far inferior to that, which doesn't make it a hoot but still. The Nationalists killed far more people than the republicans during repressions (say when they occupied new territories and were summarily executing people). So if you want to look at it that way (as a number game), please don't bring your bullshit into the forum.

The numbers (most were killed during the summer of 36, not before):

13 bishops
4184 priests
2365 members of various orders
283 women members of religious orders
Most if not all of these deaths were not centrally planned by the government but the results of angry mobs.
Franco had a few religious people executed in the Basque territory.

Note that the highly tendentious act of accusation made by Nationalists after the war alluded to one case of **** of a religious woman and didn't bring any sort of proof or pursue the matter further. I don't doubt the war lead to rapes, notable among them the ones the African legion (Franco's most celebrated troops) perpetrated on various secular women before summarily executing them.

During the war Nationalists propaganda would use the number 20K (for religious people) and after 7937. The 50K (after war) is the total number of people killed by republicans down to 500K. Both numbers are false...

Realistic numbers (only the repressions and massacres, not the actual fighting):
Republicans: 38K
Nationalists: 200K

Taking your nasty words , I won´t comment your " bullshit" communist subversive post.And please don≠t read fake history books as the ones by Paul Preston. Use them for w.c paper replace.

Period

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What...not tortoise shell?

Not even horn?

- B

Tortoise shell was too pricey. Horn is too short-living. The Meyrowitz director recommended against horn, saying that it's just a bad compromise for someone who really wants tortoise shell.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Tortoise shell was too pricey. Horn is too short-living. The Meyrowitz director recommended against horn, saying that it's just a bad compromise for someone who really wants tortoise shell.
How much do they charge for l'ecaille? The blonde shell is the priciest.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
How much do they charge for l'ecaille? The blonde shell is the priciest.

I believe they wanted around 3000 euros for tortoise. Know anything about Meyrowitz Paris?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EricMcM