• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

SLAB

Reaction score
okay, I've been on the hunt for a peacoat for a couple of years now; I bought a pre WWII vintage peacoat last year but the fit was totally off.
Although I am usually a purist and go for the exact reproductions of military garments, I decided to change course and go for a jacket made by the Japanese Americana company Pherrows. Its their take on the 1913 (13 star button) peacoat. It is a modern fitted coat with most details intact aside from the fact that it is black instead of navy and not 100% wool (shockers!). So far I'm really happy with it; the sleeves are short but I like my jackets like that. The coat is made of a wool blend with polyester and acryl and seems to keep me warm enough for the current winter weather. One other important change compared to the original is the shape of the collar. I didn't like the combination of the huge collar and my small grape head so when I saw this coat, I was delighted to see they made it with a substantially smaller collar.

anyway, enough talk, here are the pictures

SAM_0819 by SLAB13, on Flickr

SAM_0820 by SLAB13, on Flickr

SAM_0821 by SLAB13, on Flickr

SAM_0822 by SLAB13, on Flickr

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had my Sterlingwear Authentic for a month now and love it. However, after just a couple of weeks, the inside button came loose/unraveled. I planned to sew it back on until I noticed that it's not like sewing a shirt button as you don't sew through both layers of material. Fortunately, I pass by the Sterlingwear factory/retail store often enough during the workweek so I had them fix it. They also shored up the middle outside button as it was a bit loose as well. It's the most used buttons that were coming loose.

Now two weeks later, I'm in the same boat. The inside button is again unraveling. Is there a way to do sew jacket buttons so that they stand up a little better to use? I figure the military guys are tougher on buttons that I am.

Aside from the button coming loose, I couldn't be happier with the jacket. I found the navigator's wool felt a bit nicer but much preferred the dark navy color of the authentic and it's a lot warmer with the fleece liner.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

okay, I've been on the hunt for a peacoat for a couple of years now; I bought a pre WWII vintage peacoat last year but the fit was totally off.

Looks pretty good. I'd like to see how it looks with the buttons done like normal and the collar popped a bit.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity: has anyone removed the shoulder pads from their SW Authentic? To what success/effect?

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR] [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR]
I recently tailored the Bayswater peacoat from JCrew and I'm not completely satisfied. As for my body specs, I am 5'5, about 120 lb, 34S in chest, and 28 waist. The first three photos were before they were tailored. I felt there was too much room even with layering, especially in the back. I also feel like the length was a bit too long but shortening it would put the last buttons too close to the end so I wasn't sure if I wanted to do it. The last two photos are after it got tailored. I had the waist brought in and slimmed the arms. Now it looks a bit too slim and looks like it flairs out at the end making it look feminine. What do you guys think about the end result? How was it before the tailoring? After looking back at it now, I think I would have been better off leaving it as it was. I'm thinking of getting either another one of these and possibly leaving it as is or getting minimal alterations (tailor says the wool's too thick to do less than what was already done) or getting a sterlingwear. I'm a bit worried about that since I have quite the small stature and an "American" fit would probably be too large on me. If I do get another one of these, what alterations should I go for?
To be honest, I see very little difference before and after.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now, you are going to have to get the same answer out of the Sterlingwear customer service rep before you can make headway on your return.

Odd that the company would have erroneous information on its website. Could be they changed the material from Melton to Merino, but never updated the site.

If you had described the collar in your first post the way you described it in this more recent post ("collar folds onto itself,") I could have told you it wasn't Melton.

Good luck and let us know how the story plays out.

Can confirm via SW that Navigators and Mariners are made in merino, not "melton." They also won't honor an exchange (custom order) despite my insistence.

So instead I'll figure out a way to stiffen the collar a bit. Putting a "canvas" between the two layers like you suggested ia good idea. I'm also considering covering the back of the collar with a leather (goat, maybe calf; lamb probably too soft) like the TOJ or Bond BR peacoats. Think that would work to give the collar a bit more "pop" and hold?

sdurant12

Reaction score
Hello, I am interested in buying a vintage kersey peacoat from the 70's. My chest measurement is pretty exactly 39 inches (my 3 measurements were 38.75", 39", 39", and I'm wondering if I should wear a size 38L or a size 40L peacoat. I am looking for a slim fit that I can still wear a medium weight sweater under. I have read Peacoat's dating guide, and I'm not sure what size exactly would be best, because he says that the actual sizing fluctuated over the years. Also, I'm not sure if this is relevant, but note that I'm getting the peacoats in long. This shouldn't affect the chest measurements, but I thought I would mention it just in case. I'm 6"4' and weigh 160 pounds, for reference.

What size p2p would be recommended? I'm thinking between 20 and 21 inches, but would like someone more knowledgeable to give their input, because it would be a shame to waste money and time. Thanks in advance!

(also, Peacoat, your guide is incredible, so thanks a lot!)

Last edited:

PontiacPilate

Reaction score
I think you would be fine with either size depending on how you'd want the fit to be. The 38 will fit a little trimmer, and the 40 will be a bit looser. With my late 70s peacoat I sized down for a trim fit with just a shirt under it, and it fits perfect as that.

Peacoat

Reaction score

Hello, I am interested in buying a vintage kersey peacoat from the 70's. My chest measurement is pretty exactly 39 inches (my 3 measurements were 38.75", 39", 39", and I'm wondering if I should wear a size 38L or a size 40L peacoat. I am looking for a slim fit that I can still wear a medium weight sweater under. I have read Peacoat's dating guide, and I'm not sure what size exactly would be best, because he says that the actual sizing fluctuated over the years. Also, I'm not sure if this is relevant, but note that I'm getting the peacoats in long. This shouldn't affect the chest measurements, but I thought I would mention it just in case. I'm 6"4' and weigh 160 pounds, for reference.

What size p2p would be recommended? I'm thinking between 20 and 21 inches, but would like someone more knowledgeable to give their input, because it would be a shame to waste money and time. Thanks in advance!

(also, Peacoat, your guide is incredible, so thanks a lot!)

You are a tweener, which makes it a little more difficult. But I think a 38 would give a fairly decent fit probably as good as you will get. Won't be that trim, though. Might even have room for a sweater. I think a size 40 would be a little large on you, but a sweater would fit.

A size 38 p2p should be about 20.25 to 20.75. For you I would shoot for the smaller p2p; however, trying to find a long is going to be a struggle. Whichever size you can find a long in, get it.

sdurant12

Reaction score
A size 38 p2p should be about 20.25 to 20.75. For you I would shoot for the smaller p2p; however, trying to find a long is going to be a struggle. Whichever size you can find a long in, get it.

So I realized that when measuring I needed the tape to go over my shoulderblades, something that I hadn't paid much attention to the first time, not realizing how much it would change the measurement. My final measurement ended up being closer to 39.75. Based on your advice, which I adapted to my new measurement, I decided to buy a peacoat on ebay that measured a 40L from 1974, I think. (It has silver buttons, and the tag has a 74 so I'm pretty sure that's right).

It should arrive monday, and I'll be sure to post fit pictures and information to help grow the body of knowledge about fit, etc, that is in this thread. Thanks a lot for the advice.

Peacoat

Reaction score

So I realized that when measuring I needed the tape to go over my shoulderblades, something that I hadn't paid much attention to the first time, not realizing how much it would change the measurement. My final measurement ended up being closer to 39.75. Based on your advice, which I adapted to my new measurement, I decided to buy a peacoat on ebay that measured a 40L from 1974, I think. (It has silver buttons, and the tag has a 74 so I'm pretty sure that's right).

It should arrive monday, and I'll be sure to post fit pictures and information to help grow the body of knowledge about fit, etc, that is in this thread. Thanks a lot for the advice.

You were extremely lucky to find a long size in the vintage series. The 40 won't be a trim fit wearing just a shirt, but it will allow room for a sweater or a vest. If you read my guide, and know how to find the date embedded in the code, you ought to have the right year. With the pewter buttons, it sounds as if it were placed in service before the late 70s.

Good luck.

ToTheArk

Reaction score
Any help on finding out what make this coat is would be very much appreciated. The only clue I have is that there is a small brown rectangular label on the coat's right hand side (near his pocketed hand) but my TV isn't HiDef so I can't read what it says.

jonben

Reaction score
Hi guys, glad i found the forum. Lots of good advice.

Any thoughts on this coat? I think it could do with being taken in around the bottom for a slimmer fit?

Its by a Japanese designer named camoshita. It's an Excellent quality but expensive coat, so any tailoring I had done would need to be of good quality.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads