• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You weren't asking me but personally, I don't like whole cuts at all plus they crease a lot more than cap toes do. And yes, wholecuts are considered slightly more formal due to their plain design.

Here's a picture of my Elton Black Cap Toe Oxford on their maiden voyage.

What size did you take on these and what is your size in EB and Carmina?

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What size did you take on these and what is your size in EB and Carmina?
I took 7 UK, same as Carmina Rain and EB 946. I've only worn them once so far but they're the tightest out of the other 2 brands at the same stage. They weren't easy to put on and even harder to take off but comfortable when they're on.

hindvik

Reaction score
So, instead of just buying my best guess for a size I think I'm going to get a 9.5 and 10, and then keep one and ditch the other. That way I at least know I'm getting a shoe that fits. The thing is, I'd much rather sell it over here (the US) then send it back and pay shipping. So, my question is, do people think there's a decent chance of me selling the shoes over here? My plan would be to just sell it for $175 (cost of the shoes) plus whatever shipping is to the buyer.

Bruges

Reaction score
Yes you can easily sell your extra shoes in the US. But expecting the same price as you paid for is quite unrealistic.

hindvik

Reaction score
Yes you can easily sell your extra shoes in the US. But expecting the same price as you paid for is quite unrealistic.
Hmmm, even if they're brand new, in box, and exclude the $35 shipping fee? I guess it's just your opinion (which I asked for), but it seems like "quite unrealistic" is a bit strong.

wklq76a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmmm, even if they're brand new, in box, and exclude the $35 shipping fee? I guess it's just your opinion (which I asked for), but it seems like "quite unrealistic" is a bit strong.

He's right. You are not going to get your money back, even if you exclude shipping. Meermin is simply not in high demand. If you want substantiation just check old classified ads or completed eBay listings.

hindvik

Reaction score
He's right. You are not going to get your money back, even if you exclude shipping. Meermin is simply not in high demand. If you want substantiation just check old classified ads or completed eBay listings.

Fair, so new question: are Meermins worth a $245 price tag (cost of shoes including shipping plus the cost of returning the pair that does not fit)? I'm just not willing to take the risk of ordering a single pair and then being out $70 in shipping if they don't fit.

wklq76a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fair, so new question: are Meermins worth a $245 price tag (cost of shoes including shipping plus the cost of returning the pair that does not fit)? I'm just not willing to take the risk of ordering a single pair and then being out $70 in shipping if they don't fit.

Whether something is worth it is entirely up to you. It's not worth it to me, but that shouldn't mean much to you.

josef1

Reaction score
So, instead of just buying my best guess for a size I think I'm going to get a 9.5 and 10, and then keep one and ditch the other. That way I at least know I'm getting a shoe that fits. The thing is, I'd much rather sell it over here (the US) then send it back and pay shipping. So, my question is, do people think there's a decent chance of me selling the shoes over here? My plan would be to just sell it for $175 (cost of the shoes) plus whatever shipping is to the buyer.
I suggest getting the 9.5 in a wider last such as the RUI. Then a narrower last such as hiro on the 10 then just remedy it with a tongue pad or something. That way you dont have to ditch a shoe at all and get to have 2 shoes in different styles/last. Gives you a good reference also on what to order next.

For reference, I usually wear a 7uk, ordered the 7.5 on HIRO, fit well on the front half but with high instep and heel slip, got to remedy with a tongue pad and break in and now it fits quite well. Then got the RUI in 7uk, good fit all around with slight heel slip thats starting to go away (only wore it twice, Meermin tends to have quite stiff leather out of the box). -- both these sizings came from hours of studying this forum haha hope this helps!

tbrock

Reaction score
I'm a 5.5 on the hiro last and a 6 with the narrower Elton. Anyone know what size would be best for the Rui?

Can't find an answer, sorry.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone knows how Meermins fit in comparison to Crockett & Jones?
More specifically looking at the 101341 (double monk in black calf) and wondering if it fits the same as the C&J Lowndes, or if I should go up/down?
Also wondering about diffferences between 101341 and the "contemporary" 101541? Looks like the 541 has a slightly more square toe, but can't see much of a difference besides that

I searched a bit but couldn't seem to find an answer to my questions, apologies if this has been answered before

Last edited:

insy

Reaction score
How do you guys feel wearing Meermins when you have EB, Carmina and CJ next to them? There must be clearly quality difference between them and I usually tend to get rid of the worse ones whenever I find better models. Or at least I don't bother buying them anymore.

kjohnson

Reaction score
2weeks ago i returned a pair from the uk that were two small it was well worth 20 euro to return them for the right size , see my other posts regards there sizing

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads