• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Swede66

Reaction score
Guys,

Style advice wanted. Yeah, it is all about personal preferenses, but since I simpy cannot make My mind up...

Going for dark brown suede. Which do you prefer? The double monk or the cap toe oxford?
Both come with full rubber sole and on the Hiro last.

Please advice!

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It all depends on what you wear, but I noticed you were a swede and double monks are quite popular here in the north.

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Style advice wanted. Yeah, it is all about personal preferenses, but since I simpy cannot make My mind up...

Going for dark brown suede. Which do you prefer? The double monk or the cap toe oxford?
Both come with full rubber sole and on the Hiro last.

Please advice!

Oxford. Dub monk will slip in and out of fashion, cap toe's are forever.

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
It's mostly personal preference, of course, but with how quickly the double monk rose up, I'm just sceptical of it's staying power. I can't imagine a situation where the oxford won't be just as good as the monk, but I can see situations where the monks would be suitable. Also, I'd save up for a pair of cap toes in a more staple colour, brown suede, while it has lots of options, isn't acceptable in a lot of situations.

Swede66

Reaction score
Oxford. Dub monk will slip in and out of fashion, cap toe's are forever.
If I were in shortage of better shoes I would definitely go for the oxfors, but I'm not. I have at least 10 oxfords, 3-4 derbys and some boots.
No loafers, no monks. On one hand; it is clear that I have a preferens for oxfords, so why not go the safe route? On the other hand; isn't it time to broaden the scope?

Hell, I don't know...

It all depends on what you wear, but I noticed you were a swede and double monks are quite popular here in the north.
I'm mostly wearing suits for work (no tie), and jeans/chinos with a blazer in weekends.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say double monks, but that's just because I love mine C&J. May I ask how old you are? Dub monks suits younger guys a bit better than older blokes IMHO.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I must seem like the biggest douche. :facepalm: Then I think it all depends on your style and personality; I can't imagine my father - a conservative lawyer which dresses accordingly - in a pair of suede double monks for instance.

Last edited:

Phreakasa

Reaction score

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I loved it even more after seeing those pictures, but I like my shoes a bit rounded.

Stilig

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just found some more pics of the Suede DubMonk (in think on the Hiro Last).
It's crazy the one day I love the last, the other (or when I see top down pics from the oxford) I hate it, because it's not pointy enough...
http://bitsofawesomeness.tumblr.com...-receiving-a-lot-of-questions-regarding#notes
on his blog are more pics of him wearing the dub monks:
http://bitsofawesomeness.tumblr.com/

That's my tumblr, so thanks for spreading the word!

And yes, they are on the Hiro last. I'm usually more fond of a more chiseled shape, but I really like the Hiro.

(by the way, how on earth do I change my sig to include my tumblr url?)

Last edited:

Swede66

Reaction score
No offence taken Chris :)

Well, I'll buy the monks. €150 is so inexpensive that I can live with not usling them, if that should be the case.

Thanx for opinions!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads