1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Well-Known Member

Okay, didn't know that about LM. But glued fabric, is that the only material used for the toe stiffener? Haven't heard about that before, and sounds a bit weird, feels like it needs to be a lot of chemicals involved to make the stiffener hard enough. Yes, the standard heat formed stiffeners is made of thermoplastic.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  2. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

I recently bought some Massimo Dutti tassel loafers from Spoo and I found them very similar to Meermin. Don't know if those are goodyear welted (the Massimo Dutti), they have leather soles. Don't know how makes the shoes of MD.

3. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Well-Known Member

I am certain this Q has been answered multiple times before, but frankly a search doesn’t yield much (and it’s a very long thread to parse through).

If I wear a 10.5UK in EG 888/82, what would be my correct size in the Meermin New Rey? 10UK?

Thanks,
    ET

4. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Well-Known Member

Has anyone bought a belt? How is it?

And how long is the shipping time for belts, is it as long as shoes?

5. Irish

Irish Well-Known Member

^ I ordered the black calf belt when I ordered a pair of boots, so I don't know how fast it would have shipped on its own. Given Meermin's customer service, I will guess... not very.

But I like the belt; it's a good buy at the price. Hard to comment on quality until I live in it a bit, but the leather is soft and supple and the first few wears haven't produced any odd creases. It's slightly wider than your standard dress belt (35mm = 1.38"), which I like.

1 person likes this.
  6. burghler

burghler Well-Known Member

I don't have direct experience with EG so feel free to disregard this, but I think you got it right.

EG82 9.5 is comparable to the Carmina Simpson in 9.0 (this from the Carmina sizing thread). Simpson fits similarly to the New Rey (at least for me), meaning typically a half size down from EGs = 10UK

7. Aieyric

Aieyric Well-Known Member

I ordered a snuff sued belt with my snuff boots, its a pretty nice belt, seen better, but its great for the price.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. steffenbp11

steffenbp11 Well-Known Member

I also own a belt in snuff suede. I actually like it a lot. Plus Meermin is one of the few places where you can buy 80 cm belts...

1 person likes this.
  9. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Well-Known Member

Do they use the same leather for the belts as for the shoes?

10. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, have been looking at getting a black and brown one myself. Going to need to check that size will fit the belt loops on some of my suit trousers though.

11. Aieyric

Aieyric Well-Known Member

Yes, atleast for the snuff.

12. konadog

konadog Well-Known Member

fwiw, i wear a UK 10E on the EG 82 and my colleague just bought a UK 10 on the Meermin Hiro last. they both fit me well - i'd say the Meermin is about a 1/4-size larger between the two. with the new rey being a narrower last, i would recommend the same size for eg 82 and new rey. but i can't compare directly.

13. quuz

quuz Well-Known Member

14. JayH

JayH Well-Known Member

Long waiting times 1 month +

15. wombus

wombus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Thought I'd share a picture of my black shell captoes that have now got a good 10+ wears and a couple of months on them. The cordovan still needs some more wearing in and nourishment, but they're getting there!

16. konda

konda Well-Known Member

^would you say they are worth the bucks?

17. wombus

wombus Well-Known Member

In comparison to what? As far as workmanship goes - they are spot on. As far as cordovan vs calf I much prefer cordovan. But you don't buy cordovan for what it looks like after 3 months, you want to see what it's like in 3 years. It's about the cheapest pair of new cordovan black shoes you'll get your hands on. For sure Alden/Allen edmonds/carmina shell is better quality. But I think as these continue to wear in and get brushed and reno'd these will be as good as those.
    So I think the value is there - though the cordovan isn't as good as other brands

18. konda

konda Well-Known Member

^ this is exactly the answer I was looking for - thanks.

19. p.henrik

p.henrik Well-Known Member

I got a black one and returned it, because I felt it was too wide to wear with suits. Note that the buckle is brushed steel - looked a bit cheap, but maybe that's just me.

20. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

I've got a suede belt from them, it's fine but it seems pretty thin and stretchy, like it needs a double facing of leather or something. Looks good though and not all that expensive.