• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men Season 4

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed the premiere a lot, back to business and less soapy!

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Peggy seems more bubbly. I think the man she was with was that guy from the bar she took home in SE3. I enjoyed Don wearing the red shirt and snapping "Who are you?!" at him. I think the conference room was intentionally ridiculous.

Roger's flogging of the one legged reporter was hilarious, though I wouldn't expect a vet to say those things.

It was uncomfortable to see Don asked to be slapped.
confused.gif

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I definitely enjoyed it. And the ending was great. I have high hopes for the season.
+1

Originally Posted by robbie
can anyone tell me the outro song?
The Nashville Teens - Tobacco Road

streetminimal

Reaction score
Did anyone notice how small Draper's tie knot was compared to the collar?
mad.men.s04e01.hdtv.xvid-fqm.avi_snapshot_01.46_2010.07.26_18.59.51.jpg

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wasn't blown away either. Betsy's character has gone absolutely nowhere. She's just whiney and annoying...I honestly don't see her contributing anything to the show at this point except causing complications for Don, and she doesn't actually need screen time for that. I'm glad to see more focus on the business (for now), but what's gotten into Don? I was ironing during the second half of the show, so maybe I missed something, but was there a purpose to his throwing a tantrum and losing the Jantzen account? I was hoping that with the new business venture he'd be a little less of a prick, but I suppose not.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
don's line to henry was awesome. and anyone in advertising would have fapped to don tossing the swimsuit clients.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fwiffo
Compared to the wooden pre-eminence of the previous office, Sterling's new desk looks like it was lifted from some Ikea catalogue or something. It actually clashes with his 3 piece. You'd think he would get something more dignified. The boardroom is laughable but maybe that was the intention. All throughout I was thinking, "Damn, did Sterling, Cooper and Draper know what they were getting into?" I guess seasons 1-3, I kept envying these men and their 9-5 job. Now, not so much.
Assume that was a Saarinen table, or a lookalike. Thought I caught a Flo Knoll sofa in there too, it's like DWR catalog. Or Foo's apartment.
Originally Posted by Jekyll
That was pretty damn good. I think I like the new office. They're gonna have to do something with Betty soon, she's annoying as ****. That woman (Henry's mom?) had her pegged. She's gotta grow or go. I'd like to see her grow, but I don't think it's very probable. John! Marsha!
+1, in that scene with Francis's mom, I was thinking "Betty's gonna get dumped." Teach, I assumed that was Don making a splash, trying to establish his/the firm's rep as a creative agency, uninterested in staid approaches/clients. Follows with the WSJ interview when he's being brash and forward.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
no reason to go to an agency known for creative if all you want is safe wholesome ****. that was the point.

Originally Posted by Teacher
I wasn't blown away either. Betsy's character has gone absolutely nowhere. She's just whiney and annoying...I honestly don't see her contributing anything to the show at this point except causing complications for Don, and she doesn't actually need screen time for that. I'm glad to see more focus on the business (for now), but what's gotten into Don? I was ironing during the second half of the show, so maybe I missed something, but was there a purpose to his throwing a tantrum and losing the Jantzen account? I was hoping that with the new business venture he'd be a little less of a prick, but I suppose not.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought the conclusion was really good, glad it didnt start off with too much of a bang since that wouldn't be mad men style.

Finally these guys are starting to dress a little more like ad execs and not stock brokers.

Don tossing those guys out was a laugh riot, but I think it has more to do with his personal life then their lack of appreciation for his work.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
but what's gotten into Don? I was ironing during the second half of the show, so maybe I missed something, but was there a purpose to his throwing a tantrum and losing the Jantzen account? I was hoping that with the new business venture he'd be a little less of a prick, but I suppose not.

He's more of a prick (or arrogant) now and Peggy is the only one who will say it to him (we're all here because of you). Jantzen seemed like a retread of the Mark your man pitch, and Draper gets up and says we're done if you don't want to hear our ideas. Except this time, they really didn't want to hear his ideas so his bluff is gone.

I was thumbing this on the iPod on my way to work. Allison looks like she's still Draper's secretary so I guess she got poached. Draper also watches football? I thought with the philandering, the booze, client engagements, that Mad Men never have time for sports.

Him sitting there shining his shoes after work reminds me of me though.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
no reason to go to an agency known for creative if all you want is safe wholesome ****. that was the point.

That and they had impossible demands. "Make us a completely safe ad that breaks no new ground but that will grab everyone's attention and crush our competitors."

Sorry, can't find the square root of a negative number. Buzz off.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a hard time believing the season--for some reason this bugged me. Thanksgiving? It's been around 100 degrees in New York. And as always, if you'll excuse the crappy metaphor, they toss so much in the air that it's less like watching an expert juggler and more like playing 52 card pickup.

Still entertaining though!

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I actually thought it was to expose his own self-loathing. The very thing he was bitching at them for (being in a business, but trying to avoid its seedier side) was what he, himself was doing in the first interview with AdAge. By getting angry with them for their hypocricy, he was recognizing it in himself. That became abundantly clear in the very next scene where he's doing the big sell in the interview with the WSJ reporter. It's as if Draper is saying, "Enough holding back. I'm all in."

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I actually thought it was to expose his own self-loathing. The very thing he was bitching at them for (being in a business, but trying to avoid its seedier side) was what he, himself was doing in the first interview with AdAge. By getting angry with them for their hypocricy, he was recognizing it in himself. That became abundantly clear in the very next scene where he's doing the big sell in the interview with the WSJ reporter. It's as if Draper is saying, "Enough holding back. I'm all in."

That's the most reasonable explanation I've heard yet. I don't know...I liked this show for a while, but maybe it's just not for me any more. All the temper tantrums and whininess just turns me off. Too bad, too, because there are some great characters on this show.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
That became abundantly clear in the very next scene where he's doing the big sell in the interview with the WSJ reporter. It's as if Draper is saying, "Enough holding back. I'm all in."

I expect this will backfire. The story will be "Arrogant a-hole fronts floundering agency."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads