• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for US made denim jacket...have some questions

star656

Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing an American made denim jacket in a dark wash (or lack thereof?). I have no prior experience with raw denim and I understand some of the drawbacks from my googling. I typically wear Outlier pants (mostly Schoeller synthetic fabrics) or dress pants so have not worn jeans in some time. I do have an old Schaefer ranchwear denim jacket in a lighter denim that I picked up on ebay that I like but would prefer a slimmer cut in the sleeves and don't quite feel like dyeing it...

1. If I buy a raw denim jacket, how much bleed can I expect onto say a white oxford shirt? Does this come off easily or will I have to resort to bleach? How long before bleeding from the cuffs/collar/inside pockets stops?

2. I am looking at Brave Star Selvage. Does anyone have experience with that brand? I like a short trim fitting jacket and will likely go with either their ironside (normal cut) in XS or steadfast (slim) in S. Despite the pictures looking a bit different, I actually think the XS ironside seems a better fit with a slightly larger chest at the XS with shorter sleeves and the short length. I am comparing these to the schafer jacket I have which has a bit more room in the chest (21") but lengthwise is similar (24" but I can go shorter) as are the sleeves (24.5").

3. Other suggestions or brands? I looked briefly at another brand, Tellason but their jackets at 25" long was too long for me, I would prefer ~24 or less. Are there other USA made options with Cone mills denim that will not bleed (ie. not raw)?

4. Only detail I wish I could find would be a leather collar like the schaefer jackets but I may see if I can purchase some and have a leather goods / shoe shop knock something up for me.
Thanks in advance, I apologize for the basic questions and ignorance.

Forum Troll

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2017-11-26 at 12.54.08 PM.png North Menswear had a batch of jackets made in L.A. earlier this summer. Rinsed cone mills denim. They were cut a little shorter from what I remember. I don't see them on his site anymore but he may have a couple left if you call or email.

DoubleDouble

Reaction score
@jeep364 my 2¢:
  1. My experience is that you'll get little to no bleed and it can be easily washed away (on fabrics, suede is different beast for example). Can't say when the bleeding will stop because it depends on the jacket, the indigo, your usage, and mostly how often you will wash the jacket.
  2. I have no experience with Brave Star.
  3. If you want to narrow down your search, rather than focusing on raw vs washed (which will still leave you with too many options) it might be better to decide what style you are going for first. This article might help you. You could look for something "heritage" or go towards contemporary brands like Tellason—or Rogue Territory, 3sixteen, etc—that make reinterpretations of classic designs (but these jackets tend to be longer because the rise on pants keeps shrinking and something has to cover your belly and pubes). It's going to be hard to find some Cone Mills because the mill has closed down. It might also be worth asking yourself why you want to buy Made in USA denim. Is it to support workers of your country? Is it ok if the fabric is Japanese but the jacket was made in the USA? Is it because you like the classic American style? (if it's the latter you should know that Japanese brands often do a better job at reproducing classic American jackets than American brands).
  4. I have no experience with this.

star656

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I am willing to look at Japanese mills and products, not ruling them out.

Right now I am leaning towards trying out the Taylor Stitch denim version of their long haul jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads