• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

looking for some jeans

raley

Reaction score
I've gone through and read pretty much every thread on the denim choices that most everyone is into now, and have decided that I want to try out a pair of the APC Standard of a pair of the Nudies that everyone is getting (I think RR Dry or something like this).

My question is though more about size. I read through the sizing thread with results from actual measuring, but am still a bit unsure about which sizes to get.

I'm 6'1" and about 155-160 lbs, which leaves me with a 31" waist and 33" hips. My two current "nice" pairs of jeans are Levi Premium which are 32/32 (32" actual waist) and Diesel (forget the cut, straight leg) that are 31/34 with a 32" measured waist as well. These both fit fine, a bit tight since I wear them on my hips area where it is more like 33", but it is ok, a little bit bigger would be ok but not very much smaller would work.

My inseam is about 33" ideal - the 32" are a tad too short, but look fine, the 34" are a tad too big.

The APCs come small as I've seen, so I was thinking about 29 or 30, but am worried about shrinkage once I actually wash them - would they get too small then?

Same with the nudies - The ones measured in the measurement thread seemed ok with a 16.25" waist but after wash shrunk to 15".

Basically I am just looking for sizing suggestions and how to deal with the issue of length/big in waist while waiting to wash them for the first time - is hemming an option if the inseam is a bit long, or is it best just to deal with it and expect the shrinkage?

Brian SD

Reaction score
Raley, both APCs and Nudie RR Dry Selvages are sanforized, so the denim will shrink only minimally. I soaked my Nudies in warm water purposefully, as I wanted them to shrink, especially on the length. Soaking in cold water should keep them basically the same size. They will, over time, naturally shrink down on the width and length, and this is completely unavoidable, in any pair of jeans. If you normally wear a 31, go for a 30, in either of them (APC or Nudie RR). The Nudies will eventually shrink down to about 31" on the waist. APC has been having major quality control issues with sizing recently - if you order 30s, you may get a pair that measures 31" - 34". Like I said though, I would get the 30s, if they don't fit, send em back. I have a pair of the APC New Standards, and the waist is SLIGHTLY large for a 30. I would have gotten a 29 if I had the option now to get a new pair, but the 30s are still fine for me.

benchan

Reaction score
Don't know about the nudie, but for APC the inseam is about 36 inches unwash, so I doubt it will shrink to 33 inches, you ideal length. However, I find wearing the jeans with a small turnup showing the slevage denim is tasteful.

Nudie jeans should come in two different length, 32 and 34 inches, but dont' know if they are availabe in your area.

The waist of APC and Nuduie should not shrink too much, approximately 1 inch only, and they will stretch out a tad again after you wear them. So just wear a belt if you find the waist a bit loose.

And one last thing, I suggest you get one dark raw denim at a time if you don't own and wear any b-4. To be frank, not all people like the denim feel at first. And since summer is coming up, it may not be the ideal time to wear and break them in, esp without washing them.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
indeed, my nudie dry was quite itchy and stiff at the beginning. I'm wearing it every evening when I come back to work and during the w.e.

Mine was not selvedge though, I didn't try a RR but the straight sven which is supposedly close, fit me like a potato sack eventhough the waist size was correct.

My point is, you should try them on in stores : except for the ubiquitous 501, waist size alone won't tell you how you will look in these jeans or how well they will "fit".

Emmanuel

raley

Reaction score
Don't know about the nudie, but for APC the inseam is about 36 inches unwash, so I doubt it will shrink to 33 inches, you ideal length. However, I find wearing the jeans with a small turnup showing the slevage denim is tasteful.
So even on a 30 waist the inseam comes 36? Would it be a good idea if you don't like the idea to cuffs to get them hemmed to around 34 inches and then start wearing them and allow them to naturally shrink about .5-1 "?

benchan

Reaction score
Even sanforized, lengthwise, better leave a 1.5 inch allowance. You can always wash your jeans in cold water to minimize the shrinkage, but then you may tempt to wash it in warmer water later when you learn about how washing temp can affect the look of the jeans.

Brian SD

Reaction score
jinx, check www.apc.fr, they have a list of stores where they carry the jeans. Luc, in another two weeks they should feel softer than paper denims.

sam

Reaction score
Okay, you guys have confused me. I got a pair of Nudie RRs Dry Selvedge in my regular size. They fit great, even better than my PDCs, but not as good as my Sevens (j/k Brian). I was gonna hem the length since they are sanforized and I don't, you know, hunt for clams. Is this a bad idea? Should I soak them in warm water and then get them hemmed? Will I end up with clown pants in the future?

raley

Reaction score
Hmm.. thanks a lot for the help, I think I will choose just one pair to start with and go with it from there. I think I will try on a pair first though and see which ones I like. LA Guy - do you know any shops in LA that I can do to and see which ones fit me best and have pretty good prices (I think I read somewhere nudies can be found for 100-140 and I know APC are 120 online).

I will be going there in mid May and staying at my friend's place in Bel Air if that means anything for location or what not and should be there 4-5 days.

Brian SD

Reaction score
(raley @ April 28 2005,14:35) I think I read somewhere nudies can be found for 100-140
damn, sure that's not in Euros cuz mine were twice that. but if i can get another pair for $100 i'm on that ****.
Yea, Nudies are 150+, the Dry Selvage is $190 at Fred Segal. Over $200 at Steven Alan, and was over $200 at Famous Friends but I posted on SuperFuture about Fred Segal's prices and a guy from Famous Friends replied saying that they decreased the price to match Fred Segal. Whoops
smile.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
raley,

Try both Fred Segal (HTC section, as well as "Fun?") in Santa Monica and on Melrose, and American Rag on La Brea, and you will have covered pretty much all the bases.  Fred Segal HTC generally has the more cult brands, and a lot more imports, while the other Fred Segal boutiques carry more mainstream stuff - Seven, Paper Denim, Kasil, etc...  American Rag CIE has more mainstream stuff (including pretty much and Diesel and Levi's worth buying.) There are brands not carried at either of these stores, but if you can't find a pair you like between them, you may as well develop your own line.  

Of the "mainstream" brands I like, Paper Denim (the old washes and cuts) tops my list, but Da'mage and Earnest Sewn are decent as well, and a lot of the washes are better thanthe current Paper Denim washes.  Of the "cult" brands, my favorite is Corpus (yes, I know that Brian disagrees) followed by Rag and Bone and APC.  Of course, there are plenty of other good brands I would recommend - Saltworks (cheapest), Kasil (nice dark wash), 5EP (great denim), Acne (if you are super skinny), and Red Ear (for the Brit in us all) come to mind immediately.

Nudies are 90-140 Euros, in Europe.  Double that, and that's how much they cost in the States.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Of the "cult" brands, my favorite is Corpus (yes, I know that Brian disagrees)

hhahaha. Just cause they aren't my favorite doesn't mean I dislike them - you know I wouldnt respond until you put that plug in there about me. They don't top my list but they are certainly cool.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics