• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Light grey vs black suit

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
+1

No, if you're after flexibility you'll find grey is the most flexible. Grey is probably the first coloured suiting you should get.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cdumas10
I already own a charcoal suit in a very classic cut. I'm hoping to get a different color as I'd like to expand my suit collection.

Navy, navy and navy! You can never go wrong with one...
worship.gif

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackbowtie
Light grey! Light grey!

A medium or light grey would look good with a dark blue shirt for evening events.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
A medium or light grey would look good with a dark blue shirt for evening events.
I'm not a fan of dark shirts with suits.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I'm not a fan of dark shirts with suits.

A medium blue shirt would work too, as would the right shades of pink, cream, etc.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
One more vote for light grey, particularly if you are going for the madmen look.

Jussi

Reaction score
For me, black is only for funerals and for very serious evening events only. Navy blue would be the most versatile suit that you can own. Dark gray and light gray take a step towards more casual things.

If you only own a couple of suits, my selection would be:

Black, for funerals and most serious events.
Navy blue, for everything except above.
Mid-grey or light grey, for work and occasional relaxed party (use it with a pink shirt and a dashing pocket square and you might even go as a trendsetter).

And, of course, a pile of odd jackets, grey flannel trousers, cords and a nice pair or two of dark blue jeans.

High street stores just don't cut it. The fact that "most men" get their suits there is that it's the easiest place - and their taste isn't really very refined.

And never, ever wear a worsted wool suit jacket as an odd jacket.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
No, if you're after flexibility you'll find grey is the most flexible. Grey is probably the first coloured suiting you should get.

+1, Navy or charcoal/grey, that is your best first options .

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ferguscan
There's only one colour for shirts worn in the evening: white.

I think other (light) colors can be worn as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads