• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levis 501 new fit

Ge Fuzz

Reaction score
ok I soaked my 29s...I think this is as slim as these 501s will get. I pretty much downsized by 2. Crappy fit pics, my camera is dying I apologize:
levis29301.jpg

levis50129302.jpg

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackdarkeye
might be a bit extreme, imo apc stretches more than levis. I would get a size 30.

for the records you were right. Size 30 would be the right size for me.

Originally Posted by Ge Fuzz
yup 1 less button...Ive got a pair of 29s presoaked here's what they measure BiG style:

w=30
thigh=11.5
knee=8.5
hem=8
Front rise=11.25
back rise=14

and a pair of 30s hot soaked once, worn for 4 months and today I machine washed hot then machine dried hot for 1 hour and they measure:

w=31
thigh=11.5
knee=9
hem=8
front rise=11
back rise=15

the 29s presoak are slimmer than the 30s after most, if not all shrinkage is gone...This is a pretty big difference for 1 size. Granted, the 30s are made in Haiti and the 29s Mexico.

Im almost afraid to soak the 29s. They fit almost perfect now, but of course after much wear they'll stretch out. Im a true 30 waist and downsizing 1 fits me better. the 30s are a tad baggy looking.

thanks for all this info.

jcrewsmcknight

Reaction score
So is it accurate to say that the preshrunk version of the 501s are tighter than the same size in the STF version?

I tried on some regular preshrunk 501's and they seem to fit pretty tight in the thigh : /

mglev1n

Reaction score
Quick question about soaking/washing/fading:
I hot soaked in the tub and then wore the jeans to dry, but they didn't shrink enough. I then washed them in the washing machine on hot with no detergent and then put them in the dryer to shrink them further. They didn't really lose much indigo in the washer/dryer, but they are much less "stiff" then they were after the initial hot soak (they no longer hold their shape). Is the "stiffness" of the jeans what allows whiskering and honeycombs to form, or is it simply the loss of indigo, or a combination of the two?

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i read that people who wanted to shrink them alot would wash hot, dry on really hot, then hot soak again and let it drip-dry and they're supposed to stiffen back up.

also, quick question for anyone who knows, i like how my 501's are stiff, but after a month or so of wear, they're starting to soften up, and after i wash them i'm sure they'll soften up more, (my raw 514's are pretty soft after like 3 or so washes), if i wash them and then spray them with spray starch while drying will they stiffen up again like they were when they were new? or would i have to press them?

so1id

Reaction score
I just bought my first pair of "raw denims", a 29x30 501 STF Levi's this morning so I thought I'd contribute my experience so far.

I took some measurements pre-soak - post-soak (1 hr in a hot tub while wearing it and then 20 mins in a medium heat dryer)
Waist - 30" - 28"
Front Rise - 11" - 11"
Thighs - 11" - 9"
Knee - 8.5" - 8"
Leg opening - 7.5" - 7.5
Inseam - 29" - 27"

The fit was fine before soaking but it was a little long (I'm 5'6") and after the fit was perfect. I can't wait to wear these everyday now
smile.gif
. I'd like to thank you guys for sharing your tips on how to shrink them beforehand, without you I wouldn't know what to do with my first pair of raw denims.

sayocean

Reaction score
Sup fellas, forgive me for all the pictures. Started these almost exactly 1 year ago (January 1, 2009), started off with a hot soak and hang dry. First wash at the end of May (hot wash, hot dry), rain drenched mid June, second wash in August (hot wash, hot dry) and here we are today. These were for the mynudies.com 501 contest and if you guys like what you see, please vote for me thanks!
4231858828_bacbbf4e32.jpg
4231073311_1898cb2610.jpg
4231072211_234625ccbb_o.jpg
4231841232_c1bb233d35.jpg
4231072509_69d3344904.jpg
4231072603_9c7dba7ee6.jpg
4231841668_a76a55572e_o.jpg
4231109907_cefe088590.jpg
4231110001_2ef0ae1189.jpg

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Bought a pair of STF 501s at Sears today b/c they were on sale. I made a mistake with the pair I bought about a year ago--got them my usual waist size and 4 inches long in the inseam (so 34x38). After hot soaks, they became a 33x36--way too tight (camel toe!) and too long.

So I'm hoping to do it right this time. Got 35x36. Intend to do extended wearing before any soak. Will try to post fit pix later.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyx215
Can someone post the waist and thigh measurements for size 32 and/or 31?

i have a grey pair in 32 and a black pair in 31, and here are the measurements using BiG style:

grey 32's
Waist: 16.75"
Upper thigh: 12"

black 31's
Waist: 16.25"
Upper thigh: 12"

these are post-soak and the grey ones have about 2 months of wear on, and the black ones have maybe a week's worth of wear on them. black ones maybe stretched out a quarter inch, and i dont remember how much the 32's stretched out. they shrank a bit when i soaked them, but both stretched back out to the pre-soak size after wearing a day.

i have 22" thighs and a 31" true waist, but i wear my jeans on my hips which measure 34", i think the 31's fit perfect where the 32's are a bit loose. i tried some 30's but i ended up returning them because i couldn't get the damn things buttoned, even when i pulled them up to my waist.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've noticed some postings here about trying to get a slim fit out of the 501s. I can't claim to be much of a denim head, but to me 501s aren't about slim. Even when I bought them routinely in the 70s, I expected a full cut. I think they tend to look odd if you try to force too slim a profile out of them.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sayocean
Sup fellas, forgive me for all the pictures. Started these almost exactly 1 year ago (January 1, 2009), started off with a hot soak and hang dry. First wash at the end of May (hot wash, hot dry), rain drenched mid June, second wash in August (hot wash, hot dry) and here we are today. These were for the mynudies.com 501 contest and if you guys like what you see, please vote for me thanks!

Sayocean, I hope to emulate your success. I picked up a pair of 501STFs today, so I'll follow your example and see what I end up with next year this time. Did you wear yours much before the initial hot soak, or did you do a hot soak before wearing?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KingCaru