• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levis 501 new fit

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
dang, I'm thinking of buying a pair off Kohls right now to work in.
I wear a 28 APC NS and I want a fit thats a tad bit looser in the crotch, what size should I go with? For reference I'm usually a 30 in most jeans.

edit: I might get a pair for my pops for Fathers day, I'm trying to think if he would want to break them in though.

Composer_1777

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coldsnap
I wear a 28 APC NS and I want a fit thats a tad bit looser in the crotch, what size should I go with? For reference I'm usually a 30 in most jeans.

edit: I might get a pair for my pops for Fathers day, I'm trying to think if he would want to break them in though.

I'm a 34" waist and i sized up to a 35"

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHunter
Who else sells them for $35? I went to my local department store that sells levis... nothing. Nearest Kohls... nothin. Nearest Macys... nothing.

Where else can I look? I need a 31x34.

Macys *should* have them. Mine does, and their website should (which would imply they can order them for you).

That said, sears is supposed to be a good source

BOF

Reaction score
The Sears that I've been in typically has a wide selection of sizes for the regular STF.

As for sizing, you can go anywhere from down one to up two (for shrinkage). The rise is rather long, so you'll have more room in the crotch than on APCs even if you go true to size. I would recommend that you bring a tape-measure to the store though, as they can be about 1" smaller to 2" bigger than the tagged size in the waist.

sfpasssf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coldsnap

If you want a fit similar to the NS, I'd try sizing down one to a 29. The STF stretch like nobody's business. I usually wear 29 in other jeans and a 27 in the NS. My sized down one 28 STF have now stretched out to a measured 29.5. Fitwise, it's definitely more relaxed in the top block but it tapers similarly to the NS. For $30 they are awesome beater jeans (if you can deal with the weird blue color).

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
true, they look good after fading though from what I can see on the previous page.

edit: I cannot find Indigo Shrink to fit on sears site

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just shrunk mine.

Before the big soak, they fit snugly in the waist and hips. I never sized up based on reading how they could stretch back out to the original unsoaked size in time. I was still worried about a long period of too tight, so I decided to wear them wet.

I boiled a large pot of water, put the 501s in when it was at a simmer, and soaked them for 1.5 hrs. The water was a deep blue, but they surprisingly lost very little color after they dried. I layed two towels on the ground, put the wet jeans on top, then burrito rolled to get the most excessive of the water out, then immediately put them on and went out the door to run errands.

The errands took longer than expected, so at the end of the day, they were completely dry on me and still fit well. After I took them off and hung them up they looked like a plaster cast of my body, and felt very rough.

They feel perfect for my hips and waist, but I did not account for vertical shrinkage, which was about 1.75 inches. I usually wear them with engineer boots now, and dont really mind it since it shows off the first buckle. The only other issue is that the knees are a little baggy, but overall they look good and I am happy I made the purchase and shrunk them the way I did.

noneshallpass

Reaction score
hey guys so I have a question about the Levi 501 STF's. My situation is that I cold soaked (inside-out) it and wore it for a couple days, decided I wanted a tigher fit, so I warm soaked (inside-out) it and love the way it fits me now.

The problem is since it shrunk a little bit more, there are 1 or 2 honey comb lines that were forming while I wore it after the cold soak and before the warm soak period that are like way below the back of my knee is.

I was wondering will they just disappear over time or am I screwed? I don't want to wash it sometime down the road and i have a faded line behind the middle of my leg.

I hope you guys can picture what I'm talking about because I don't have a camera handy.

Thanks

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They should disappear over time. After a hot soak they will soften up over the next week. If you want to play it safe, lightly steam the area with a steamer.

noneshallpass

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
They should disappear over time. After a hot soak they will soften up over the next week. If you want to play it safe, lightly steam the area with a steamer.
thanks man, that really makes me like them even more now! by steamer, do you mean iron?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads