• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't understand your question. Aero is essentially going to give you a cleaner, slightly brighter cup than FP. Why do you want to move away from the FP to begin with?

a. boredom
b. maybe a cleaner cup?

Like I said, I'm not looking to stop using FP completely, but rather add another method, and now that I think about it, maybe one that will produce different results for variety's sake.

Last edited:

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess since we are on the subject, is there another cheap grinder that will give me more ability to play with coarser grinds?

Like I said, now that I think about it, I think this is more about variety for me. So I'm probably looking to add more versatility to both grinding and brewing that I currently do. I'm not fundamentally unhappy with FP or anything.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to get rid of the sediment, aside from skimming the foam before plunging, you might want to get an Espro Press.

If you want a different method that is not prone to extreme variation, get an AeroPress or CCD. Try both out somewhere. Or just get the AeroPress now and the CCD in half a year when you're ready to try something else.

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can make a stronger brew and dilute it with water. I suppose this comes with a few compromises but it seems to be the norm for preparing larger batches with an AP--I've never tried it. It usually makes 8 oz or so?

Last edited:

WiredandTired

Reaction score
Chemex is pour over and optimally uses a goose neck kettle to optimize flow of water to saturate grounds. Aero press is fill, steep, plunge. It produces a coffee concentrate to dilute to taste.

AP does require physical effort to plunge and some do find that to be inconvenient.

Both use paper filters which will filter grounds and some amount of the coffee oils for a "cleaner cup".

I stick with the CCD for daily use, though this talk of an espro press has me interested.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Skerton is made to grind very fine for espresso use, which it is good at. It is not designed to do grinds associated with immersion brewing.

I am 95% sure this is not true. Skertons are really bad for espresso because it's inconsistent at both extremes of particle size.

It's not great for french press either but you can mod so it's much more stable and produce less fines

It's meant to be used along with the Hario v60 pour overs which is a finer grind but not as fine as espresso. Sometimes they're sold in sets from what I understand although I've never seen these so called sets

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It definitely needs a stepless mod to somewhat qualify as an espresso grinder. How well it works with the mod I can't say. So if its main purpose were espresso-fine grounds, they would've sticked to a stepless design.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I am 95% sure this is not true. Skertons are really bad for espresso because it's inconsistent at both extremes of particle size.

It's not great for french press either but you can mod so it's much more stable and produce less fines

It's meant to be used along with the Hario v60 pour overs which is a finer grind but not as fine as espresso. Sometimes they're sold in sets from what I understand although I've never seen these so called sets
Well, you're 100% wrong.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyway, semi-recent news: Starbucks now offers wine and beer (at selected stores).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads