• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Soles on nice shoes: to protect or not to protect?

extempore

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dshell
Which makers?
I'd be interested to know as well... so that I can avoid these makers, or petition them. It's ridiculous, and reeks of anti-competition to me - 'if they Topy their shoes, then we'll lose out on resoling!'

If I can virtually destroy a pair of shoes through heavy use, or pick up an absolutely battered pair of shoes from a thrift, and then send them off to the original maker for a resole/restoration, I don't see why adding a Topy will suddenly make my shoes unresoleable.

billiebob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
Definitely my gait bears on how much time I get out of a topy, I seem to barely wear soles or heels at all for some reason. Still though, when I compare the wear on a topy'd pair of EG's I've had for seven years and another pair of EG's without a topy that I've had for 5 years a clear difference emerges. Both are basics (black and tan captoes) that see frequent wear. The black shoes have at least 1/2 their wear left in the topy while the tan shoes are close to needing a resole.

For me, here are is the + / - breakdown. Plus:

1) Topy's are FAR more secure / less likely to slip in most all conditions

2) Topy's wear far slower than a bare leather sole and are much cheaper to replace by a factor of 3-10. Also you get to preserve the look of the factory welt.

3) Topy's protect your shoes in the wet. In my experience the wear a leather soled shoe sustains in one wearing on wet concrete equals at least 10 wearings on dry concrete or asphalt, especially if you encounter any loose aggregate. And leather soles repeatedly worn in the wet tend to lose their shape and 'round' easily.
Negatives:
1) Slight loss of transpiration which is harder on the lining.
2) Some makers will not resole a shoe after it has been topy'd.
I think you guys are crazy to avoid them for aesthetic reasons btw. If the proper thickness is used and they are properly chamfered you will only see them when the sole is off the ground. And worn leather soles are ugly, at least as ugly as a topy.

This post is the truth. I have 30+ pairs of leather shoes and those I have topy'd are perfect and some I have bought in 2005 almost need a resole. I don't walk evenly and the soles are rounded and start to delaminate after the sole stitching is ripped (which is pretty soon if you walk in the rain as I do). And these are on soles that have at minimum Kiwi plastic heel and toe taps.

Sadly I topied shoes that I knew I was going to wear the **** out of, like the Polo darltons in brown cordovan and some polo boots. The EGs all have unprotected soles and are suffering for it despite their superior durability. I'm not going to pay $300 to have EG resole them, that's for sure. I think I'll sand them square and topy them myself when the time comes.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have them put on all shoes when new. I had an embarrassing event happen in the hospital I work at once about a year ago; I had to run into a patients room during a code, and slipped 5 feet ( without falling) because the patients IV had gotten ripped out and a bit of saline was on the floor. The shoes I was wearing that night had no scuff protector or "topy", and I slid very easily. They went on all my subsequent shoes promptly after that. In defense of the leather sole though, they were practically new, with very smooth bottoms.

I'd rather replace those than have to pay for a resole.

I have heel taps in all my regular rotation shoes as well. But then again, I weighed a bit over 360 lbs two months ago, and did a good job grinding down the material. I'm down to 315 yesterday, and do notice that my feet feel a hell of a lot better. At 6' 4" I hope to get back to 220 by spring. But thats getting off topic.

I have no qualms what so ever about putting sole protectors on my shoes.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree that they don't do anything bad to the shoe and have some real benefits, but I like the sound and feel of leather soles.

Groover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dshell
Which makers?

All of the manufacturers I've spoken to about this issue when I've come to get my shoes repaired have said, "they reserve the right to reject a shoe for a factory repair if it's be altered from it's original specification". Now whether they choose to enforce that standpoint is something that can only be decided/discussed at the time.

Those manufacturers I've had the conversation with are:

Crockett & Jones
Cheaney
Church's
Loake
Barkers
Grenson

That said, some years ago I had a pair of Cheaney boots which I returned to Jones Bootmaker for a factory repair. The store sent them to a local cobbler and the job wasn't very good, I explained that I had requested a factory repair and not a local repair. They sent them off to Cheaney and they rebuilt them, new insoles, welts, full soles and heels, and to top it off the factory rebuild was only £10 more than the local job.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
Definitely my gait bears on how much time I get out of a topy, I seem to barely wear soles or heels at all for some reason. Still though, when I compare the wear on a topy'd pair of EG's I've had for seven years and another pair of EG's without a topy that I've had for 5 years a clear difference emerges. Both are basics (black and tan captoes) that see frequent wear. The black shoes have at least 1/2 their wear left in the topy while the tan shoes are close to needing a resole.

For me, here are is the + / - breakdown. Plus:

1) Topy's are FAR more secure / less likely to slip in most all conditions

2) Topy's wear far slower than a bare leather sole and are much cheaper to replace by a factor of 3-10. Also you get to preserve the look of the factory welt.

3) Topy's protect your shoes in the wet. In my experience the wear a leather soled shoe sustains in one wearing on wet concrete equals at least 10 wearings on dry concrete or asphalt, especially if you encounter any loose aggregate. And leather soles repeatedly worn in the wet tend to lose their shape and 'round' easily.

Negatives:

1) Slight loss of transpiration which is harder on the lining.

2) Some makers will not resole a shoe after it has been topy'd.

I think you guys are crazy to avoid them for aesthetic reasons btw. If the proper thickness is used and they are properly chamfered you will only see them when the sole is off the ground. And worn leather soles are ugly, at least as ugly as a topy.

You are my arch nemesis A Harris.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is what you must do, which is what I am planning to do, once I secure the funds...
Buy a few pairs with danite sole specifically for those rainy days...
Wear leather on the non rainy days

DONE!

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
google yield no results, so, what's topy? any pictures/websites?
A topy is a rubber stick-on sole to protect the leather sole of a shoe. Try the search function on this forum, it rteturn about 30 threads about topy-ing.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, it is not possible. But it's already a rubber sole...

StylingUK

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade

thanks for clearing that up. Thought it would be good to have another rubber layer underneath to make it last longer.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade

How about glueing a layer of leather to the Dainite, and then putting a Topy on top of the leather, like some sort of super shoe sandwich?

Best of all worlds?

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics