• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Soles on nice shoes: to protect or not to protect?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Salsalocust
Leave well alone!!

If you want rubber soled..... buy rubber soled
teacha.gif

Regards,

Graham

Spoken like a shoesalesman, Graham!
sly.gif

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Not my experience but YMMV. But i do only get 2 years out of heels so there may be a gait issue involved here. I've had recraftings done by the maker and had resolings done locally and they're both pretty similar ( but i do have a good local cobbler) There's no way I'd get as much mileage out of a topy as you say.

Is 2 years considered a short life-span?

I tend to wear out the heels (up to the rubber, not the leather) in a few months and the rest of the sole in a year and had to get them topy'd.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viktri
Is 2 years considered a short life-span?

I tend to wear out the heels (up to the rubber, not the leather) in a few months and the rest of the sole in a year and had to get them topy'd.

For shoes worn a couple of times a month, yep 2 years is pretty short. If I wore a pair every other day I'd blow heels in probably a month or two as well. I get a few years out of soles at my rate of wear these days.

dsmolken

Reaction score
I bike to work so I got rubber on the soles of most of my boots. Leather soles + modern bicycle pedals is not a good combination even in dry weather.

AgentQ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsmolken
I bike to work so I got rubber on the soles of most of my boots. Leather soles + modern bicycle pedals is not a good combination even in dry weather.

+1 I've really slashed some leather soles making this mistake (and realizing a week later).

RatherAnOddball

Reaction score
The last time I had rubber put on my soles was when I was in highschool. Not only was it too thick, but it also had less traction than the leather did. I might get it done again in the future, but I don't want to have the same issues. So can you recommend any specific instructions to give my cobbler? Brand names, "styles," number of mm's of thickness?

Thanks.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just starting to get into nice shoes here, but I love the look of a leather sole and could not imagine doing that. Kind of like putting slipcovers on to protect the furniture.
eek.gif

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Not my experience but YMMV. But i do only get 2 years out of heels so there may be a gait issue involved here. I've had recraftings done by the maker and had resolings done locally and they're both pretty similar ( but i do have a good local cobbler) There's no way I'd get as much mileage out of a topy as you say.

Definitely my gait bears on how much time I get out of a topy, I seem to barely wear soles or heels at all for some reason. Still though, when I compare the wear on a topy'd pair of EG's I've had for seven years and another pair of EG's without a topy that I've had for 5 years a clear difference emerges. Both are basics (black and tan captoes) that see frequent wear. The black shoes have at least 1/2 their wear left in the topy while the tan shoes are close to needing a resole.

For me, here are is the + / - breakdown. Plus:

1) Topy's are FAR more secure / less likely to slip in most all conditions

2) Topy's wear far slower than a bare leather sole and are much cheaper to replace by a factor of 3-10. Also you get to preserve the look of the factory welt.

3) Topy's protect your shoes in the wet. In my experience the wear a leather soled shoe sustains in one wearing on wet concrete equals at least 10 wearings on dry concrete or asphalt, especially if you encounter any loose aggregate. And leather soles repeatedly worn in the wet tend to lose their shape and 'round' easily.

Negatives:

1) Slight loss of transpiration which is harder on the lining.

2) Some makers will not resole a shoe after it has been topy'd.

I think you guys are crazy to avoid them for aesthetic reasons btw. If the proper thickness is used and they are properly chamfered you will only see them when the sole is off the ground. And worn leather soles are ugly, at least as ugly as a topy.

penguin vic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
How bout some taps.
Advantages: you can join any spontaneous river dance that may happen in your neck of the woods.

Thinking of adding taps to my next pair of shoes (hopefully arriving in a week from Herrings). Pros (aside from riverdancing) and cons?

extempore

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
Just starting to get into nice shoes here, but I love the look of a leather sole and could not imagine doing that. Kind of like putting slipcovers on to protect the furniture.
eek.gif

As though leather soles look fantastic after they've been walked on.
rolleyes.gif
And the better analogy would be putting felt pads on the bottom of your furniture feet to protect them (and your floor). Virtually unnoticeable unless you look for them, and they prolong the life of your investment, It seems to me that many members here are repulsed by the idea of rubber/plastic on their precious leather shoes and are thus reacting emotionally, rather than actually having a serious sit-down and think about the proposition. Topys... 1. Extend the life of your leather sole - why spend all that $$$ on a resole when you can have another topy put on? Conspicuous consumption and impracticality rolled up in one IMO - resoles take weeks, and cost lots of $$$. 2. Are virtually unnoticeable, unless you are sitting cross-legged or have one leg up all the time 3. Are cheap 4. Are safe for you - greater traction can only be a good thing. And if you accidentally step on a sharp stone or glass, your Topy will help protect you. And your leather sole.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rubber sole protectors are great on R.M. Williams boots. I also keep them on a set of dress shoes that I draw from when the ground is wet.

Jase_29

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris

1) Topy's are FAR more secure / less likely to slip in most all conditions

2) Topy's wear far slower than a bare leather sole and are much cheaper to replace by a factor of 3-10. Also you get to preserve the look of the factory welt.

3) Topy's protect your shoes in the wet. In my experience the wear a leather soled shoe sustains in one wearing on wet concrete equals at least 10 wearings on dry concrete or asphalt, especially if you encounter any loose aggregate. And leather soles repeatedly worn in the wet tend to lose their shape and 'round' easily.

Negatives:

1) Slight loss of transpiration which is harder on the lining.

2) Some makers will not resole a shoe after it has been topy'd.

I think you guys are crazy to avoid them for aesthetic reasons btw. If the proper thickness is used and they are properly chamfered you will only see them when the sole is off the ground. And worn leather soles are ugly, at least as ugly as a topy.

I agree absolutely. Though my only advice is to wear your shoes in before you get them Topy'd, rather than get them on brand new shoes. The rubber won't mould to your foot and gait like leather unless your shoes already have the correct shape before the rubber is adhered.

Some makers discourage using rubber soles on the grounds that they can upset the contruction and cause your shoes to fall apart - I've never had this happen on either glued or Goodyear welted soles, and I give them some pretty hard wear. In fact, the stitches are often the first things to wear on my soles if they are showing, which can cause part of the sole to come loose and flap about, even if there is still leather between foot and pavement - hence Topy's actually help retain your shoes' structural integrity.

The only major downside is the loss of breathability through the sole, but short of paying top dollar for factory re-soles, the only alternative is a potentially ugly re-sewing of the sole by your local cobbler (unless he is very good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads