1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Kilgore's Sunglasses

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Joffrey, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Was watching Apocalypse Now Redux the other night and was attracted to the sunglasses worn by Lt. Kilgore played by Robert Duvall. I am in the market for a new pair of shades and was wondering which brands make similar pairs as worn by Kilgore. Here is a link: http://images1.moviemarket.co.uk/lib...249/249263.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

That looks like a pair of Ray-ban, although I'm not sure which model. Otherwise, it might be a pair of American Optical, who also makes sunglasses for the military. http://www.uswings.com/sunglasses.asp

3. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

"Charlie don't surf!" Those just look like aviators. I have a pair from Zeiss but I'm sure you can find models from every manufacturer. [​IMG]

4. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Well-Known Member

Yes, those are Randolph/American Optical "Flight Goggle 58".

5. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Well those look exactly like what Kilgore was wearing and they seem to be 1/5 of the price I was actually willing to spend (which is always good). Anybody have any insight on the quality of the brand? I suppose if the US military uses it, they must be pretty good but what about anybody else? Also they seem to come in different sizes anywhere I can try them on in person?

6. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

I don't have personal experience with AO, but I've heard recommendations from elsewhere as well as here. There's a seller on eBay with good prices on them as well. I was thinking about buying a pair, but I've just bought a pair of Ray-ban aviators. Maybe next time.

7. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Well-Known Member

That looks like a pair of Ray-ban, although I'm not sure which model. Otherwise, it might be a pair of American Optical, who also makes sunglasses for the military.

http://www.uswings.com/sunglasses.asp

My godfather has a pair of these with 18k gold rim from back when he was in the Ethiopian Air Force. They look mean (i.e. cool).