• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

98muted

Reaction score
I received a trial suit from Kent Wang a little while ago, and while I'm waiting for the suggested changes from the folks over there, figured I would post here so the guys here who have experience can help with the necesary changes.

I have some slight lapel bowing, arms need lengthening, buttoning point lowered and rise in trousers raised. I also think the trousers might be a little tight. Also, the back picture is terrible, I guess I was standing oddly.

YzHXgrWl.jpg

2vGeV3Gl.png

eict2Cel.png

BxVE9XKl.png

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sleeve pitch needs some rotating, jacket needs lengthening in front, and you need to adjust for dropped right shoulder

98muted

Reaction score
I received a trial suit from Kent Wang a little while ago, and while I'm waiting for the suggested changes from the folks over there, figured I would post here so the guys here who have experience can help with the necesary changes.

I have some slight lapel bowing, arms need lengthening, buttoning point lowered and rise in trousers raised. I also think the trousers might be a little tight. Also, the back picture is terrible, I guess I was standing oddly.

YzHXgrWl.jpg

2vGeV3Gl.png

eict2Cel.png

BxVE9XKl.png

These were the recommendations
  • Shoulder width looks good. Do they feel small to you?
  • Right shoulder -1 cm
  • You have fairly prominent shoulders, so I suggest the 'soft' shoulder padding option.
  • Buttoning point -1 cm. Please double check. The buttoning point should be at the narrowest part of your waist. Look at the side of the jacket and see where it curves in the most.
  • Sleeve length +3 cm right, +4 cm left. Please double check. With your arms laying naturally at your side, your shirt sleeve should end at the third joint (base joint) of your thumb. The jacket sleeve should end 1.5 cm above that.
  • Bicep -1 cm. This will narrow the sleeve slightly.
  • Cuff width -1 cm, if you feel it is too wide.
  • Sleeve pitch backward 0.5 cm
  • Armhole -1 cm, if the armhole is not currently rubbing against your armpit.
  • Lower collar -XX cm. This will take care of the excess fabric on the back, right below the collar.
  • Back chest (armpit to armpit) -1cm
  • Waist -1.5 cm, will be doubled
  • Jacket length +3 cm. Please double check. It should cover your butt completely.
Trousers

• How does the waist and rise feel? Those are common adjustments. I suggest rear rise -1 cm to draw up rear trouser line. Will you be designing these trousers with belt loops, or will you wear them with suspenders?
  • Seat +0.5 cm
  • Thigh -0.5 cm
  • If you'll measure how long you want the inseam to be, we can hem the trousers for you. It may be more accurate to measure another pair of trousers that fit you well. Or we can deliver them with an unfinished hem.
These all seem in line with what I was thinking, I'm only unsure of the slimming of the thigh in the trousers, as I don't like them too slim. Also, is any of this going to fix slight lapel bowing?

Need suggestions on cuff vs. no cuff...I've never gone in that direction but am thinking about it

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those all sound about right to me. Do you like classic length proportions or the more recent trend toward slightly shorter jackets? Lengthening by 3cm will give you the former, I think; if you're on the fence, you might do 2cm instead.

If you are confident in your inseam, get cuffs, and ask Aaron to direct the factory to add hem guards. It's a free option (as far as I know) but unlisted on the options form, and they do a nice job with them. If you trust your local tailor, unfinished is never a bad idea.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like cuffs, but would probably go unfinished, IF you have someone in the area who can do the job. It's a surprisingly expensive alteration (at least in my area), but it provides a far greater margin for error.

If you go back to the KW well, treat it as a onetime expense that will serve as a rubric for future orders.

Jonny Bax

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen,

I am a long-time lurker and somewhat inexperienced in the MTM world. I have one MTM suit that was made locally, which I like, but has its flaws and I'm a little hesitant to return (also, their price has gone up substantially since my last visit).

So, my plan is to try KW MTM for my first blazer. I was initially going to do it thru the mail, but found cheap tickets to NYC and will have the pleasure of being fitted by Aaron this coming Saturday, June 3rd. I am leaning towards a blue hopsack as this will be my first and only blazer for a while.

But, I would appreciate any advice from those that have gone this route.

I have a couple of questions:

My MTM suit has a lapel width just shy of 4" and I think it is pretty much perfect. KW only offers 3.5" and 4.25". Any advice on which to use? I can post pics of my suit jacket since I feel like that might be most helpful.

Also, for those that have use the spalla camitia shoulders, how did it turn out? I haven't seen any up-close pics and a am a little hesitant to add that detail to the jacket. I would def like it to have that casual feel since I won't be wearing it for anything formal or professional.

Also, with regards to the gorge height, has everyone who has ordered used the standard instead of high? I am just curious since a lot of the pics don't have details about this, and a high gorge used to be the KW standard.

Thanks in advance!

Jon

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen,

I am a long-time lurker and somewhat inexperienced in the MTM world. I have one MTM suit that was made locally, which I like, but has its flaws and I'm a little hesitant to return (also, their price has gone up substantially since my last visit).

So, my plan is to try KW MTM for my first blazer. I was initially going to do it thru the mail, but found cheap tickets to NYC and will have the pleasure of being fitted by Aaron this coming Saturday, June 3rd. I am leaning towards a blue hopsack as this will be my first and only blazer for a while.

My MTM suit has a lapel width just shy of 4" and I think it is pretty much perfect. KW only offers 3.5" and 4.25". Any advice on which to use? I can post pics of my suit jacket since I feel like that might be most helpful.

Also, for those that have use the spalla camitia shoulders, how did it turn out? I haven't seen any up-close pics and a am a little hesitant to add that detail to the jacket. I would def like it to have that casual feel since I won't be wearing it for anything formal or professional.

Also, with regards to the gorge height, has everyone who has ordered used the standard instead of high? I am just curious since a lot of the pics don't have details about this, and a high gorge used to be the KW standard.

Thanks in advance!

Jon
First and foremost, Aaron is a gentleman and knows his stuff. So I definitely recommend seeing him in person if possible. Now to answer your questions, if you think 4" is perfect, I'd say go with 4.25". Visually, there's a bigger difference going from 4" to 3.5" than from 4" to 4.25".

Lastly, I went with a standard gorge on my suit and I'm happy with it. Here's a pic from when I picked it up from the tailor after some minor tweaks. Hope that helps.

Kent Wang 12.JPG

Jonny Bax

Reaction score
Thank you vriche! Your jacket looks great!

And Aaron has been fantastic thus far. I am looking forward to meeting and working with him.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen,

Thanks in advance!

Jon

The new MTM system has 3.5 inch and 4 inch lapels (and others I cannot recall as I sit here typing). The 3.5 and 4.25 inch choice is for the old system. As a new customer, I would go with the new choices.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen,

Thanks in advance!

Jon
I would not recommend the spalla camicia shoulders as it probably differs from what you imagine it to be. Here's a recent example.

IMG_6854.JPG
IMG_6856.JPG

Jonny Bax

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies, gentlemen. It is much appreciated and very helpful. I'll keep you up to date on my decisions and post pics when I receive the blazer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads