• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just picked up my new MTM suits... critique if you like

youngScholar

Reaction score
Very well done.

Insight

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Try pushing the lower front pocket flaps into the pocket. That makes them besom pockets and I think would make your look more elegant.

I see Depos has beaten me to the comment I was going to make. I think a jetted or besom pocket would be a better look, since it would go with the overall tightness/trimness of the suit.

I would also suggest something around the neck, to take the place of a men's neck tie. Maybe an ascot or scarf?

Insight

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rada
The shop is in Dongducheon RIGHT outside of Camp Casey...

Ahh...so how is life in the 2nd ID? Ironically enough, when I was 25, I was stationed with the 2 ID and had some suits made in one of the shops - "Boston Custom Tailoring" - outside Casey. Had a dress mess jacket made, too.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip about the pockets... I will try that. I don't think I'm going to get a waistband for the tux though. I don't want the chest to have more shape because that would be too feminine to me. I called her up and asked for a BIT more room in the chest and sleeves for the next suits. I have my first fitting this saturday and I'll see if this helps.

Both DBs are pinstripe... very subtle pinstripe, not cheesy mafia pinstripe!
laugh.gif

You might be confusing waistband for cummerbund. My suggestion is to make the waistband of the tux trouser from the silk used on the tux lapels rather than a waistband from the same cloth.
The additional shaping in the chest would translate to a better fit rather than a more feminine silhouette. It would keep the lapels from opening up and standing away from your body. Lowering the top button would help too.

Rada

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Insight
Ahh...so how is life in the 2nd ID? Ironically enough, when I was 25, I was stationed with the 2 ID and had some suits made in one of the shops - "Boston Custom Tailoring" - outside Casey. Had a dress mess jacket made, too.
Life in 2ID has changed a little... still unorganized and chaotic, but not as fun as I hear it used to be
facepalm.gif
DEROS is coming up shortly so I don't mind
smile.gif
Originally Posted by Despos
You might be confusing waistband for cummerbund. My suggestion is to make the waistband of the tux trouser from the silk used on the tux lapels rather than a waistband from the same cloth. The additional shaping in the chest would translate to a better fit rather than a more feminine silhouette. It would keep the lapels from opening up and standing away from your body. Lowering the top button would help too.
I was confusing the two... the tux is more like Tom Ford's tux here and here and here. I wanted a tux that wouldn't look too silly without a bow tie or have one untied... you know, for when I'm drunk enough to do my Diana Krall-meets-Sinatra impersonation on the piano
blush.gif
I'm open to another style suggestion, I'll probably get another made since the S/O is a bit of an up and comer in the curating world.... ie, I'll have to keep a tux/super nice suit in my glove box
facepalm.gif
I hear what you're saying about the shaping to the chest, I will talk to her about this on my first fitting this saturday... you've been so helpful, I really do thank you for all your input
worship.gif

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looks pretty good I think. I'm always sort of scared of those small shops nearby army bases since more than a few seem to put out a lot of junk. Hope you're enjoying Korea and the cooler summer weather we're getting lately, because if it gets back to how it was last year there's not a chance of wearing much in the way of suits
frown.gif

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know whether or not to consider this a compliment
bigstar[1].gif

Just curious though: why are you posting here? As far as I know, this is pretty much an all-male forum and I would have assumed you would not be getting very helpful sartorial comments (with a few exceptions such as Mr Despos) here. Is there no female equivalent?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lonneker
Just curious though: why are you posting here? As far as I know, this is pretty much an all-male forum and I would have assumed you would not be getting very helpful sartorial comments (with a few exceptions such as Mr Despos) here. Is there no female equivalent?

Did you read the part where she explained that she likes to wear men's suits?

Rada

Reaction score

hmmmm, on the contrary... I've received plenty of helpful advice here. I post here because I want to and enjoy what's said/shown in these threads.

And, no, there is no female equivalent that I've run across.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Did you read the part where she explained that she likes to wear men's suits?

I saw that, but her suits still look like lady's suits to me (but I am no expert). That said, I would not have expected to get very helpful comments on issues such as balance (in all its SF meanings) here.

hmmmm, on the contrary... I've received plenty of helpful advice here. I post here because I want to and enjoy what's said/shown in these threads.

And, no, there is no female equivalent that I've run across.

Fair enough. But I guess then you realize that back-of-the-pants requests are fair game.

derv

Reaction score
In my opinion, I think we could use more active female participants to assist in critiquing our fits. She is more than welcome in my book.

bmf895

Reaction score
I'm really digging this look. Good for you for going against the trend. Women's "pant suits" are usually atrocious (think cartoonish colors, shrunken jackets & bell-bottom monstrosities). But these suits have the right blend of masculinity while still highlighting your feminine figure. That said, the armscyes could stand to be higher. This along with a lower button stance would probably help the lapel lay more flat against your chest. I am definitely looking forward to seeing more of your suits.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw that, but her suits still look like lady's suits to me (but I am no expert). That said, I would not have expected to get very helpful comments on issues such as balance (in all its SF meanings) here.

The suit is definitely male styled suit. The only reason it looks feminine is because it is sized for, and worn by, a woman.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice colors and nice fits! I particularly like the grey one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads