• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Boot / Shoe Appreciation Thread (White Cloud, Rolling Dub Trio, John Lofgren, Clinch, etc.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, I've seen some White Kloud price quotes in the $3000s, definitely not just "a little more". Though I suppose if you got something really basic it would be in the upper $1000s.

Boots like that would definitely be bespoke and hand welted. From memory, Goto-San charges around 1k or so more for bespoke/custom last. Which while a lot, is a more than fair price for bespoke.

He did raise his prices for options December of 2018 I know. I met up with last fall 2019 when I was in Japan just to have lunch, but not sure if he’s raise his prices again. I still think for what he does is pretty amazing for the price but you have to like his style of boots for sure as it’s unique.

Markfisher702

Reaction score
Man, I've seen some White Kloud price quotes in the $3000s, definitely not just "a little more". Though I suppose if you got something really basic it would be in the upper $1000s.

Yikes. I remember when $700 for Vibergs seemed astronomical. Now I'm somewhat desensitized and don't choke on boutique stuff in the $800 - 1300 range but I don't think I'm capable of processing more just yet.

Docxm

Reaction score
Boots like that would definitely be bespoke and hand welted. From memory, Goto-San charges around 1k or so more for bespoke/custom last. Which while a lot, is a more than fair price for bespoke.

He did raise his prices for options December of 2018 I know. I met up with last fall 2019 when I was in Japan just to have lunch, but not sure if he’s raise his prices again. I still think for what he does is pretty amazing for the price but you have to like his style of boots for sure as it’s unique.

No, you're definitely right. They're very much worth it, he's one of the best craftsman for his style of boots in the world. Just a crazy amount to me, but I'd still probably buy a pair.

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clinch adds a 20% MTO fee for a custom order. Six to Eight month wait time. They let you choose the leather, sole, thread color, eyelet color, midsole color. Theres no adjustments to lasts like a MTM type situation. Depending on the leather you choose, you can easily get a boot to $1400ish or so which is a bit. Its much better just to get a boot from a stockist if you like a particular build. The difficult part with them is the sizing though since you can't really try them on. For the money though, I'd rather pay a little more and get another White Kloud boot regardless of the wait time as the finishing is vastly better.

What part of the finishing do you like better? To my eye they both look super clean

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, you're definitely right. They're very much worth it, he's one of the best craftsman for his style of boots in the world. Just a crazy amount to me, but I'd still probably buy a pair.

Yeah the only reason I can justify it was the 18 month lead time. At that point, doing a 50% deposit and waiting makes it much more feasible to purchase. I’ve bought and sold too many boots over the years now that I’m being super selective so I’m happy to pay more for something I’ll truly want to keep and enjoy.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What part of the finishing do you like better? To my eye they both look super clean

They’re both good for certain, but I would say the welt and sole edge finishing are done to a higher standard. I‘d almost hate to even compare them since White Kloud is a one man shop and Clinch is a very small workshop.

skyfall

Reaction score
Old pics of my 2 pairs of zerrows engineers
image2.jpeg
20170510_fcbe17307453b14ce158t9pwaZkaMAGK.jpg

Markfisher702

Reaction score
Brannock 12B. Viberg 2030 and 1035 10.5 quite snug with thin socks 11 good with thick socks. Alden Indy 10.5, 1000 Mile 10.5. Tomorrow, I'll know if combats in 11 are right on. The combats in 10.5 are just a hair narrow and short like I could keep making it work with thin socks but I know I need 11s. Time to take my medicine and size up.

So....to follow up on Lofgren sizing. I got a new pair of combats in sz 11 today. I was surprised to feel almost no difference from my least broken in 10.5 combats which have maybe 10 hours of wear time. Any increase in width and length is almost imperceptible. I measured the inside length as 11.25" on the 10.5 and 11.37" on the 11. The outside widths, diagonally across the sole at the ball is 4.5" on the 10.5 and 4.67" on the 11.

For comparison, the difference in feel between a Viberg 2030 10.5 and an 11 is readily apparent and +1/4" or a little more in both measurements.

I'm stumped. Furthermore....I am not sure that the Lofgren combats in 11 are big enough. Online shopping boutique brands is fun but there certainly are challenges. I guess the upside is that when you nail it....it's really worth something because you had to work to get it.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zerrows stuff looks fantastic. Would love to visit their shop in Japan at some point as they do some unique stuff just like RDT does.

Valfunde

Reaction score
Love Moto - wish they had more precise sizing, though. Only come in three sizes, some of them fit pretty narrow too. I had to sell an awesome pair of cordovan loafers because they were too long and narrow

Chromexcel slip-ons - perfect for the summer rainy season
96RHOGl.jpg

Damn these look great. Anyone else doing this type of loafer with CXL? Could gamble with Moto's sizing but there's no way I can deal with a flip flopping loafer if I missize.

Komuga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of a similar boot to the short shaft lofgren engineers? Doesn’t seem like they’re going to come back.
447CA14A-7730-47A2-8AB5-600C61F92938.png

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So....to follow up on Lofgren sizing. I got a new pair of combats in sz 11 today. I was surprised to feel almost no difference from my least broken in 10.5 combats which have maybe 10 hours of wear time. Any increase in width and length is almost imperceptible. I measured the inside length as 11.25" on the 10.5 and 11.37" on the 11. The outside widths, diagonally across the sole at the ball is 4.5" on the 10.5 and 4.67" on the 11.

For comparison, the difference in feel between a Viberg 2030 10.5 and an 11 is readily apparent and +1/4" or a little more in both measurements.

I'm stumped. Furthermore....I am not sure that the Lofgren combats in 11 are big enough. Online shopping boutique brands is fun but there certainly are challenges. I guess the upside is that when you nail it....it's really worth something because you had to work to get it.

That is part of the fun, isn't it? It is almost like the price of entry.

Do you know how many $300 pairs of Japanese jeans I had to give away after buying and laundering them and they just didn't work. I actually have a pair of Strike Gold that I'm on the fence about.

The combat boots I have coming in are 11 but from your review, I think they may not work for me. We will see on Monday.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This boutique in Norway offers a boot that is strikingly similar to Lofgren boots ...

Lofgren has kept the details of his subcontractor close to his chest. Miyagi Kogyo may be it or makes a product very similar, at a discount.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads