• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

joseph240

Reaction score
I wasn’t aware that you could add transitions (and mirror) on top of the fashion tints. My optometrist said they couldn’t do it. So I just went with a ‘peach’ fashion tint on top of my prescriptions for my silver Marbot.
If you want to have photochromic (e.g. transitions) and fashion tint on the same lenses (+ mirror), your choices as of last year have become very limited. Basically only Zeiss and Hoya will do it. Verilux and Shamir won't anymore.

obecity

Reaction score
If you want to have photochromic (e.g. transitions) and fashion tint on the same lenses (+ mirror), your choices as of last year have become very limited. Basically only Zeiss and Hoya will do it. Verilux and Shamir won't anymore.
What the heck?! Are you sure? Essilor can do it, I’m pretty sure. Perhaps you know more than I. Do you know why it is that they won’t? Is it because of the chemical process? A manufacturing defect? Or do they just don’t want to do it. Honest question.

joseph240

Reaction score
I
What the heck?! Are you sure? Essilor can do it, I’m pretty sure. Perhaps you know more than I. Do you know why it is that they won’t? Is it because of the chemical process? A manufacturing defect? Or do they just don’t want to do it. Honest question.
I'm very sure and no Essilor (aka Verilux) won't do it in the US. It is a business decision and has nothing to do with the chemical processes. The reason is simply a lack of highly skilled personnel and patience involved with assuring that you get right level of tint. Basically when you stack up photochromic and tint together you make it a bit harder to get a right level of tint, which means more rejects. The large labs are just too commercial for this level of service.

joseph240

Reaction score
Ooooh. Yikes. The only photochrimics I know that turn in the car are transition xtractive and zeiss Photofusion xtra grey, but neither get very dark in a car
Hoya Sensity Dark and Sensity Shine are the other options that will get darker in a car. Of course not sufficiently dark on bright days but something is better than nothing if you forgot your sunglasses. :)

obecity

Reaction score
I'm very sure and no Essilor (aka Verilux) won't do it in the US. It is a business decision and has nothing to do with the chemical processes. The reason is simply a lack of highly skilled personnel and patience involved with assuring that you get right level of tint. Basically when you stack up photochromic and tint together you make it a bit harder to get a right level of tint, which means more rejects. The large labs are just too commercial for this level of service.
Haruumph! I believe you, but what a pile of malarkey from those manufacturers! If it is technically possible and I want it, then they should do it!!!! Believe you me, back in my day, we did whatever the customer wanted, and we made ding dang sure to get it perfect the first time. WITH PRIDE TOO!!!! I’m so sick of the “mass production, low quality, high profit, speed-focused, disposable” mentality! It’s bad for the customer. It’s bad for the environment. It’s bad for our country. Where is the artistry?! Where is the craftsmanship?! Where is the pride?! Back in the good ole days, craftsmen CRAFTED pieces that lasted a lifetime and did so at a reasonable price! All you whipper snappers today are too accepting of this flippin flim flam!

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hoping JMM will release more colourways of the Kaine, another great frame a little underrated, in my opinion.

Screenshot (1484).png

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads