• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket length for long torso, short arms?

Glenfibbich

Reaction score
Gents,

I’ve taken my first foray into made to measure suits recently and noticed that I have a bit of an anatomical foible as per above. The end result is that MTM suit/sport jackets I’ve had made look too long in the front if they cover the right amount of bum—going way down my fingers rather than to the midway point. I feel like this makes me look shorter than I am and is pretty unflattering.

What would be a good compromise? Just generally decreasing jacket length and showing more bum a few inches? Having the jackets be shorter in the front and longer in the back? Could use your advice!

Thanks

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your jacket needs to cover your seat, full stop. If your arms are shorter than normal then that rule of thumb can be ignored.

Stylewords

Reaction score
If your legs are also short (compared to torso) then you can allow yourself a little bit of margin and have the length a touch shorter.

AWV

Reaction score
Gents,

I’ve taken my first foray into made to measure suits recently and noticed that I have a bit of an anatomical foible as per above. The end result is that MTM suit/sport jackets I’ve had made look too long in the front if they cover the right amount of bum—going way down my fingers rather than to the midway point. I feel like this makes me look shorter than I am and is pretty unflattering.

What would be a good compromise? Just generally decreasing jacket length and showing more bum a few inches? Having the jackets be shorter in the front and longer in the back? Could use your advice!

Thanks

I would advise against a longer length in the back. Visually, that would make your upper body appear ill-proportioned. Besides, it is not uncommon in MTM and even bespoke tailoring for the front of the jacket to be slightly longer than the back. In fact, it can be more flattering on your figure.

Also, your jacket length should be proportionate to your height. By that I mean, the length from the neck down should be equal to the length from the bottom of the jacket down to the bottom of your pants.

Glenfibbich

Reaction score
Thanks for the perspectives gents. I think with my next jacket I will try shaving an inch off all around and see how that goes as a bit of compromise. My feeling is I’d rather make a better impression from the front than the back. Will see how that goes and then evaluate whether it’s worth the trade off for the suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads