• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
While toe taps are welcome to someone like me who wears out the tips of the soles really quickly, I don't think it will receive universal acceptance, because it does make the shoes more slippery in my experience. Metal on floor generates little friction.

Allowing the option to include it for free is absolutely welcome though :-D

funny you say that as I have toe taps on all of my shoes and when it is wet I don't experience what you say. On the contrary, it helps to grip the concrete better whereas the leather, when soaking wet, makes me slip more. I know that some people won't want it but I feel that this is out of lack of knowledge and fear of misconceptions like that they scratch everything and make noise. Both false, unless of course, they are not affixed properly.

LAluck5

Reaction score
I actually sometimes like the noise of the toe taps when I step down on a stair or hit the concrete wrong. Makes me feel like I'm playing baseball again and there are not many better sounds than metal cleats on concrete.

I now get toe taps on all my shoes after reading Justin's blog and seeing my older shoes without them.

Butterfeet

Reaction score
funny you say that as I have toe taps on all of my shoes and when it is wet I don't experience what you say. On the contrary, it helps to grip the concrete better whereas the leather, when soaking wet, makes me slip more. I know that some people won't want it but I feel that this is out of lack of knowledge and fear of misconceptions like that they scratch everything and make noise. Both false, unless of course, they are not affixed properly.
It feels more slippery when the floor is NOT wet though. Maybe it's just me.

I agree they don't make noise though.

MikeLMP

Reaction score
Hi Justin!

I recently picked up a pair of your Wedgwood boots after seeing a post on Reddit, and I should say first off that they're incredible. The fit is spot on, the design is elegant, the stitching is immaculate, really every aspect of them impresses me. Due to my own apparent inability to read, however, I had thought that getting them with toe taps would make them un-returnable. I realize now that I was mistaken, and I'm regretting not having done so. I've worn them briefly out on some concrete and am noticing a bit of separation between the sole and what I assume to be the flap used in the closed channel construction. It's not bad, but I'd like to keep it from getting worse. Being a fellow Seattleite, I'm hoping you might be able to recommend a Seattle area cobbler who can install the flush toe taps I should have just had you guys put on. I've spoken to a few who can nail on those plastic boomerang style ones you're not a fan of, but have yet to find one who can do what you offer. Any suggestions? Regardless, the boots are spectacular and I'll absolutely be a customer again, as soon as my bank account can tolerate. Thanks!

-Mike

CDRiis

Reaction score
I own a pair of brogue boots (that I love) on the TMG last and I'm considering an oxford (Magnolia) on same last.
Does anyone have experience with how lasts fit across models/construction types?

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own a pair of brogue boots (that I love) on the TMG last and I'm considering an oxford (Magnolia) on same last.
Does anyone have experience with how lasts fit across models/construction types?

I have the Wedgewood Boots on the TMG, the Wallingford II on the MGF, the Rainier on the JFK, and the Whittier on the LBP, all are size UK 9E, all fit excellent.

That said I would rank the TMG standard normal fit, I would say my MGF/LPB has just a little more give in the vamp, where the JFK has the smaller toe box but for me is not an issue.

I can say that I can wear all 3 last all day with no issue, the differences are very minor for my foot.

So I feel that the fit of models and lasts is maintained across the line so you should have no problem.

Last edited:

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Justin!

I recently picked up a pair of your Wedgwood boots after seeing a post on Reddit, and I should say first off that they're incredible. The fit is spot on, the design is elegant, the stitching is immaculate, really every aspect of them impresses me. Due to my own apparent inability to read, however, I had thought that getting them with toe taps would make them un-returnable. I realize now that I was mistaken, and I'm regretting not having done so. I've worn them briefly out on some concrete and am noticing a bit of separation between the sole and what I assume to be the flap used in the closed channel construction. It's not bad, but I'd like to keep it from getting worse. Being a fellow Seattleite, I'm hoping you might be able to recommend a Seattle area cobbler who can install the flush toe taps I should have just had you guys put on. I've spoken to a few who can nail on those plastic boomerang style ones you're not a fan of, but have yet to find one who can do what you offer. Any suggestions? Regardless, the boots are spectacular and I'll absolutely be a customer again, as soon as my bank account can tolerate. Thanks!

-Mike

Mike, thanks for your kind words and support in our brand, I really do appreciate it.

To be honest, I have not been home in 5 years and have heard that the SEA has drastically changed so I don't know anything anymore. I used to know a shoe repair just off of the SE corner of 6th and Stewart but they could be gone for all I know and not sure if they did them anyway. Wish I could help more.

B.Nelson in NYC will do it for a relatively cheap option by shipping to him and back. Think he only charges like $7 or $10 to ship back to you.

best of luck!

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

the only difference between the Holman and the Magnolia is that one is a derby and one an oxford. Size will be the same between the two as would fit. Only thing is that the boot would be better for someone with a super high instep due to the derby construction.

Hope that this helps

CDRiis

Reaction score
Thanks Justin
While I do have a high instep (Holman was tight out of the box) it's not extremely high.
Maybe I should just go ahead and order and forget about toe taps for now in case they're way off.

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Justin
While I do have a high instep (Holman was tight out of the box) it's not extremely high.
Maybe I should just go ahead and order and forget about toe taps for now in case they're way off.

I see, okay well for an oxford the instep is high. I presume that there might be some break in period but nothing too serious. It might also be challenging at first to get into but once in, you should be fine. You can return with toe taps on them, you just won't get the money for the taps back. But I think that you should be fine in the same size

CDRiis

Reaction score
I see, okay well for an oxford the instep is high. I presume that there might be some break in period but nothing too serious. It might also be challenging at first to get into but once in, you should be fine. You can return with toe taps on them, you just won't get the money for the taps back. But I think that you should be fine in the same size

You're probably one of the most helpful shops around. Thank you.
I don't mind a break-in, but my understanding (based on your blog among others) was that an oxford won't stretch across the instep because of the construction.

One more issue. 9,5 is sold out. :-/
Expecting new stock anytime soon?

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
You're probably one of the most helpful shops around. Thank you.
I don't mind a break-in, but my understanding (based on your blog among others) was that an oxford won't stretch across the instep because of the construction.

One more issue. 9,5 is sold out. :-/
Expecting new stock anytime soon?

I appreciate the kind words.

Everything gives over time, but yes the instep stretches the least. But with welted shoes that have cork in the midsole, what happens instead of the instep stretching is that when you wear the shoes over time you sink into the foot bed thus giving you more room in the instep.

Yes, probably end of this month or early next we will get a restock in our core products

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Justin,

I was looking at the Snoqualmie GMTO and it says the boot uses the NJF last but I don't see that listed on your site. Can you tell me how this last fits compared to your others.

The real question is will it fit me well.

Thanks

shoelearner

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen,

I just got my Ballard III - Snuff Suede
https://www.jfitzpatrickfootwear.com/products/ballard-lll-snuff-suede

Prompt delivery by Justin, I must say they look better in person, I thought they were not going to be as sleek looking but when I put them on they sure look sleek and stylish.

This is the boot I was missing for summer to wear with my chinos.

Thanks and regards !

This pic below doesn't do them justice due to my crappy cellphone camera.

IMG-20170505-WA0026[1].jpeg

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Justin,

I was looking at the Snoqualmie GMTO and it says the boot uses the NJF last but I don't see that listed on your site. Can you tell me how this last fits compared to your others.

The real question is will it fit me well.

Thanks

It's hard to describe the NJF as it is a very different fit in terms of style as it is mean for boots. If I was to compare it to what you have, it would be closest to the TMG last (i.e. your Wedgwood). The heel area is roomier than most due to the wholecut nature of the snoqualmie and the last paired. But I take 6.5 in them as well as my TMG boots and both fit me comparably. However, if you wanted to wear heavy socks with them, I might suggest going up to 9.5, at which point they would fit closer to your Whittier (which I have in Uk6.5 but probably could wear 6).

Hope that this helps

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads