• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As for quality, I am and will continue to be blown away by the fact that I can get J Fitz at full retail for less than a new pair of Allen Edmonds. That isn't mean to disrespect AE at all, but the beveled waist, sleek lasts, and the bolder design choices are why I keep coming back. I love G&G, but I can't always justify spending $1k+ on one pair, so I tend to buy J Fitz/Carmina and I'm a huge fan of both.

@foto010101, something else worth considering. At the price point, there are a lot of stylistic elements that other brands simply don't have, or aren't willing to explore. I find Justin's leather softer than my Carminas, but that's comparing crust and box calf. But they're no less durable. More comfortable out of the box with less break in time, that's for sure.

And MissingBuckley doesn't have to disrespect AE, but I will :p For the price, they're not even close. Not to mention Justin's QC is far better.

Last edited:

LAluck5

Reaction score
@foto010101 , something else worth considering. At the price point, there are a lot of stylistic elements that other brands simply don't have, or aren't willing to explore. I find Justin's leather softer than my Carminas, but that's comparing crust and box calf. But they're no less durable. More comfortable out of the box with less break in time, that's for sure.

And MissingBuckley doesn't have to disrespect AE, but I will
tongue.gif
For the price, they're not even close. Not to mention Justin's QC is far better.
Yea I don't think I will buy AE again.

Really contemplating getting these two. I don't have a single suede shoe in my arsenal.

ShooIn

Reaction score
Yea I don't think I will buy AE again.

Really contemplating getting these two. I don't have a single suede shoe in my arsenal.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. My Medina in Bitter chocolate suede still look amazing one year in with regular wear, and those two are fantastic versatile choices.

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok @LAluck5 and @laufer-

Here are some side by side pictures, and I'll also talk about the fit of each shoe on my right foot (wider of the two, D and a half width, borderline E). I'm a 9.5UK Rain and 9.5UK everything JFP, F width in GG.

Before my pictures and comments, I'll copy what Justin says about sizing on his website (http://www.jfitzpatrickfootwear.com/pages/size-guide)

J.FitzPatrick shoes have a very standard fit. Our sizes are based on the UK standard where ‘E’ is the “medium” width being equivalent to a US ‘D’ width. If you have always been size 10, then this is what you should expect to be in our footwear as well.

All five of our lasts were created on the same body, only changing the shape of the toe, thus ensuring a standard fit from heel to ball of foot, across all models. However, one must take into account that loafers will fit differently to oxfords and oxfords will fit differently to derbys, so while you may feel good in the fit of an oxford, the same size in a derby might feel loose due to the extra room in the instep created from the open lacing.This has nothing to do with size however, but more so the nature of the different models in footwear. Understanding this will help you choose your size more accurately.

The TMG last is the most classic fitting last fitting very standard. The LPB and MGF due to having to elongate the toe box to create them will be the most generous in the vamp/toe region. The JKF will be the tightest across the toe region. All shoes with 6 eyelets will be more generous in the instep. Any model in full suede will feel more generous to its leather counterpart. The boots have a forgiving instep in order for you to get into them easily. The monkstraps as a model and because they are usually one the LPB last will be the most generous fitting models.

For my part, left to right: Wedgwood (TMG), Carmina 922 (Rain), Wallingford (JKF), Rainier (LPB)

Toe shapes:

Between Carmina's Rain and Justin's last, the biggest difference to me is a higher instep and narrower heel.

Carmina 922 (Rain)
-Normal fit, widest part of foot (ball) is at widest part of shoe
-Heel wider than I'd like, had a lot of heel slip breaking the shoes in
-Laces don't close all the way due to my slightly higher than average instep.
-I have about 1/2inch from big toe to end of shoe and the taper of shoe where the bottom of the "U" shape of the wing is is where my second to last toe is

Wedgwood (TMG)
-Very close to Rain in terms of width across forefoot and overall length
-Slightly narrower through the arch/midfoot so the shoe hugs my foot better, since it's narrower from the midfoot back, is has a subsequently narrower heel than Rain

Rainier (LPB)
-Narrowest, most elongated JFP last IMO
-Fit is same as TMG except toe is narrower, if you need the full room of Rain I'd not go with LPB
-More length in the toe than TMG/Rain but with the taper starting earlier/being more extreme, you get less width across the toe box.
-Instep height is equal to TMG and Rain (laces have a gap of less than a centimeter at the top, but do not close all the way)

Wallingford (JKF)
-Symmetrical taper gives a hair more width in forefoot than LPB, but still more tapered than TMG
-Keeps width longer from the ball back to the heel than my other JFP shoes, not as snug under the arch. But this could be due to the suede in the shoe having more give than leather.
-Highest instep of my JFP shoes (agrees with Justin's description above - 6 eyelets), no lace gap at all. Any higher and I'd want an insole so they wouldn't be too loose.

Hope this is of use. If anything I said doesn't jibe with Justin's sizing info I'm sure he'll jump in to clarify.

Last edited:

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok @LAluck5 and @laufer-

Here are some side by side pictures, and I'll also talk about the fit of each shoe on my right foot (wider of the two, D and a half width, borderline E). I'm a 9.5UK Rain and 9.5UK everything JFP, F width in GG.

Before my pictures and comments, I'll copy what Justin says about sizing on his website (http://www.jfitzpatrickfootwear.com/pages/size-guide)
For my part, left to right: Wedgwood (TMG), Carmina 922 (Rain), Wallingford (JKF), Rainier (LPB)

Toe shapes:

Between Carmina's Rain and Justin's last, the biggest difference to me is a higher instep and narrower heel.

Carmina 922 (Rain)
-I have about 1/2inch from big toe to end of shoe and the taper of shoe where the bottom of the "U" shape of the wing is is where my second to last toe is

Wedgwood (TMG)
-Slightly narrower through the arch/midfoot so the shoe hugs my foot better, since it's narrower from the midfoot back, is has a subsequently narrower heel than Rain

Rainier (LPB)
F-fit is same as TMG except toe is narrower, if you need the full room of Rain I'd not go with LPB
-More length in the toe than TMG/Rain but with the taper starting earlier/being more extreme, you get less width across the toe box.
-Instep height is equal to TMG and Rain (laces have a gap of less than a centimeter at the top, but do not close all the way)

Wallingford (JKF)
-Symmetrical taper gives a hair more width in forefoot than LPB, but still more tapered than TMG
-Keeps width longer from the ball back to the heel than my other JFP shoes, not as snug under the arch. But this could be due to the suede in the shoe having more give than leather.
-Highest instep of my JFP shoes (agrees with Justin's description above - 6 eyelets), no lace gap at all. Any higher and I'd want an insole so they wouldn't be too loose.

Hope this is of use. If anything I said doesn't jibe with Justin's sizing info I'm sure he'll jump in to clarify.

Shawn, this all was incredibly helpful. Thank you so much, if you do not mind a follow up question. How is instep on TMG compared to Rain. The same or higher or lower? How do laces close?

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shawn, this all was incredibly helpful. Thank you so much, if you do not mind a follow up question. How is instep on TMG compared to Rain. The same or higher or lower? How do laces close?

Sorry for the hasty cell phone picture:

The insteps look similar, but by feel TMG has more room. I could crank down on Rain's laces to close the gap more but then it would cut into the top of my foot. I could tighten Justin's boots more and have them be snug but not dig into my foot. The JFP boots also have a Dr Scholl's insole in them that I put in when I bought them to take up a little volume in the forefoot. It's a full length insole though, so if it was removed, I bet the laces would be pretty close to touching, if not touching. If Rain's instep works for you, Justin's will be just as comfortable, probably more so. If Rain's instep is too big, Justin's will be bigger.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the hasty cell phone picture:

The insteps look similar, but by feel TMG has more room. I could crank down on Rain's laces to close the gap more but then it would cut into the top of my foot. I could tighten Justin's boots more and have them be snug but not dig into my foot. The JFP boots also have a Dr Scholl's insole in them that I put in when I bought them to take up a little volume in the forefoot. It's a full length insole though, so if it was removed, I bet the laces would be pretty close to touching, if not touching. If Rain's instep works for you, Justin's will be just as comfortable, probably more so. If Rain's instep is too big, Justin's will be bigger.

Once again, thank you. I have my size now. The same size as Rain last.

shoelearner

Reaction score
***The Aurora comes with a button hook included in the price. Should you already have one and wish for something else, please indicate in the notes section of the order. Your choices are 2 wax/cream/mink oil products (indicate which and color) or one pair of socks (indicate size color) or one pair of travel shoe trees***

Hi Justin, can I choose instead:

1x Saphir Teinture Française Shoe Dye

or even 2 saphir shoe dye ?

Thanks !

LAluck5

Reaction score
Anybody know if this one is new? I haven't seen it before and now I'm kind of interested. Maybe I should just buy the suede Chukka, suede monk, and this and call it a day...

j-fitzpatrick-footwear-collection-16-march-2017-2072_grande.jpg

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

***The Aurora comes with a button hook included in the price. Should you already have one and wish for something else, please indicate in the notes section of the order. Your choices are 2 wax/cream/mink oil products (indicate which and color) or one pair of socks (indicate size color) or one pair of travel shoe trees*** Hi Justin, can I choose instead: 1x Saphir Teinture Française Shoe Dye or even 2 saphir shoe dye ? Thanks !
yes 2 saphir dye is just fine, just leave it in the notes which colors you want

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Ok @LAluck5 and @laufer-

Carmina 922 (Rain)

Wedgwood (TMG)

Rainier (LPB)
F-fit is same as TMG except toe is narrower, if you need the full room of Rain I'd not go with LPB

Wallingford (JKF)

Hey AM, thank you for that. I will have to save this for future reference for others. Not only that, this reminded me that I need to expand on my size guide.

I did find it interesting however that you found the LPB last on the Rainier to be the most snug. I wonder if that is due to the lower vamp pattern as the LPB is generally the largest fitting last we have. I wonder how your boots fit in comparison to the Rainier? One thing some people forget is not only a last will make a difference but also a pattern i.e. wholecut vs full brogue will feel and fit completely different in the same last.

Nevertheless, I appreciate you taking the time to write this and help others.

Thank you

Justin

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey AM, thank you for that. I will have to save this for future reference for others. Not only that, this reminded me that I need to expand on my size guide.

I did find it interesting however that you found the LPB last on the Rainier to be the most snug. I wonder if that is due to the lower vamp pattern as the LPB is generally the largest fitting last we have. I wonder how your boots fit in comparison to the Rainier? One thing some people forget is not only a last will make a difference but also a pattern i.e. wholecut vs full brogue will feel and fit completely different in the same last.

Nevertheless, I appreciate you taking the time to write this and help others.

Thank you

Justin

It could be the lower vamp. Because of the suede I don't find them to be too snug, just a close fitting shoe - in a good way. My boots do have a little more room over the instep and the laces close perfectly. I guess that goes back to more eyelets = more room. I would have thought TMG was the most friendly fitting last with its rounder toe, but I'm not the maker ;)

Glad to help :cheers:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads