• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is The End of Selvedge Near?

red120

Reaction score
Companies jump on and off trends.. but for things that aren't just fads, the underlying base beneath the trend will still endure. GAP, Old Navy, A&F have all done selvedge before to try and cash in on the luxury denim trend.. I don't think it really affects the market. Most people buying it don't know what is selvedge, I'd bet.

Still, if someone posted the first pic without the tags in a "1 1/2 years wear" thread or something, it would get a lot of love. It's really not bad.

Pablo-T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by red120
Companies jump on and off trends.. but for things that aren't just fads, the underlying base beneath the trend will still endure. GAP,...have all done selvedge before to try and cash in on the luxury denim trend..
Gap were producing selvage quite possibly years before your favourite brand. Adriano Goldschmied, who designed for them, was one of the founders of Diesel, and a backer of Evis.

Selvage, in its revived form, has been around for 20 years now. It's hardly the 'latest thing' that a bunch of big brands are attempting to exploit.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i got a pair of those ag mii jawns for like $25 off ebay last year, kind of on a whim... theyre pretty decent, denim doesnt seem to be dyed all that well but has a nice texture and construction and details are really good

jawns prob need a taper and i need to lose some weight but one of my best ebay impulse buys

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
also i know im not helping things but this thread ******* sucks

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Threads announcing the end of a certain trend are inevitably started by the least fashionable people. See the one where the jock dude bemoans the end of 'work wear'.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
done

thx for replacing super hot with ugly as sin

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi

Abercrombie just needs to get back to its roots.

+1. Vintage A&F items are fantastic.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
thx for replacing super hot with ugly as sin

BlueWord

Reaction score
Frankly, I'm sort of glad to see selvedge denim become more widely available. Selvedge never equaled quality, anyway, but at least this says that people up top are paying attention.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can hear the cackle in my head everytime i look at that image now, nooooooooooo

holyhotdamn

Reaction score
While I hardly ever post, I check this forum every day. I find this particular thread interesting because people on this forum are pretty constantly bashing abercrombie. I don't wear the stuff, but to be honest, abercrombie has been on the workwear thing from day one. Sure, that may not have always been what they were famous for, and I'm sure they do a lot more business in the t-shirt department, but the case still remains that they have been making some decent fitting and decently constructed plaid shirts and the same kind of military parka sorts of things for years. I feel if it weren't for the stigma attached to abercrombie, it would probably be far more popular on this forum.

rustyshack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holyhotdamn
While I hardly ever post, I check this forum every day. I find this particular thread interesting because people on this forum are pretty constantly bashing abercrombie. I don't wear the stuff, but to be honest, abercrombie has been on the workwear thing from day one. Sure, that may not have always been what they were famous for, and I'm sure they do a lot more business in the t-shirt department, but the case still remains that they have been making some decent fitting and decently constructed plaid shirts and the same kind of military parka sorts of things for years. I feel if it weren't for the stigma attached to abercrombie, it would probably be far more popular on this forum.
I feel the same way. I know I'll get hated on but when abercrombie stuff goes on clearance its a pretty good deal. You can shop anywhere and maintain your style, its just the negative image of bros that only shop at abercrombie that turn most people off to it. edit: also their ceo is like a creepier, more fucked up version of gary busey

scribbles

Reaction score

That creeps me the f$%& out.

I can't believe this thread is still at the top of the first page. I know I started it, but I figured the whole "the J. Crew red chambray killed workwear" thing would be a heads up that this poking fun at the "workwear is dead" thread" I gave it 15 posts max before it ended up in dumb threads. Some of you take things wayyyyy too seriously.

Can someone with more power around here than myself (moderator) either lock or move this thread so that we can open up a spot on the front page for a topic more deserving?

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Who the **** cares if the denim is selvedge or not? It's inane how so many here care about it-- adds nothing to your style and is no indication of fabric quality.
Please
treat denim as a subcat that you only have a passing knowledge of and don't mock us denimhead freaks.
Originally Posted by BB1
A tribute to the wonders of plastic surgery.....
mikejeffries_ericstoltz.jpg

He looks like a kind man. Like the footballer jock I went to HS with who's now the poor soul with three kids and a minivan. However, I would certainly listen to what wisdom he had to offer if I was sitting next to him at a dinner party. I'm no fool.
Aafc2.jpg
[/img] Abercrombie just needs to get back to its roots.

Nice one Listi!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads