• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it Normal for a 15 year old to wear a sweater,Shirt,and tie everyday ?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I did, at that age, Mon thru Sat. However, it was my school uniform, so I figure I get a bye.

Doing it in your spare time is kind of odd for a 15yr old, esp. in this day & age. However, far be it from me to label others as odd, considering I post on Styleforum anyway. Bottom line, you WILL stand out. This may or may not be a good thing, depending on your social standing, attitude, personality, circle of friends, level of concern, etc, etc. Examine your own circumstances, and choose wisely...

So too was my school uniform but that was many, many years ago and not 2013. Even back then, as a teenager, one did not wear a tie etc. in leisure time. I would certainly be very concerned about the social problems caused if any teen of mine was so dressed today outside school.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
We had to wear the tie when at school (obviously we could take it off when just lounging around the House, but outside, it had to be worn) However, like all teens, we found ways of "customising" our uniform in other ways. Like pushing the limits of the kind of shirt we were allowed. Technically, only predominantly white or pale blue was allowed, but we wore bolder & bolder stripes in an attempt to skirt the line of remaining predominantly white. Shoes were meant to be black & laced IIRC, but I always wore black loafers.

Anyway, enough reminiscing; I do agree with your fundamental point, but would still leave it up to the OP to make his own (potentially bad) decisions rather than be too firm about it. Best way to learn! :)

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, but if you're getting the type of attention/reaction that you want, then stick with it. If it's making you into an outcast, then maybe you should cut it down to a few times per month.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Teenagers are some of the most viciously mean people you can meet. You'll have to use some common sense and determine what kind of attention you're going to get for your particular situation. If you know much of it will be negative and are willing to accept and deal with that, more power to you. Just a word to the wise. Dressing well means also knowing how to dress properly for all occasions and circumstances. Wear a sport coat and trousers to the beach and you're going to look like an idiot because you ARE an idiot. It is not wrong to stand out in a positive way but if you have to work this hard to differentiate yourself, I suggest working on your social skills instead.

Last edited:

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score

Teenagers are some of the most viciously mean people you can meet.

Tell me about it. But that is true about many (but far from all) people under 20. I would go so far as to call such under 20 year of age people terrorists (which, to me, is a synonym for bully).

But then again, I was bullied like crazy in school (to the point of being put in extreme danger, actually). Therefore, it is ultra easy for me to think of the word terrorist as a synonym for the word bully .

Godot

Reaction score
Life doesn't occur in a vacuum. Look around and see what other people are wearing and ask "is a sweater and tie appropriate?". There are some schools where you'd be under dressed and others where you'd be inviting a shiv. Try and find a balance.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Using the word "classy" automatically exempts you from being so.

This is a life lesson that extends beyond a forum about men getting dressed.

Per the OP, know you'll always get **** for wearing a tie if it's not absolutely necessary. This goes as a rule for both professional and social settings in the real world. It doesn't get better. We live in a world where people wear polos and chinos to weddings. So if you want to "rise above" or "make a statement," power to you. However, just know you're going against the grain and need to accept whatever comes. Hopefully either you're small in stature or your high school lockers are large in scale. God speed.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Styleforum Gentleman15.
I wouldn't say 'normal'. Normal is conforming to a social standard. If that is your thing right now, then enjoy it. It is your dynamic personality that will determine if it works or fails. You could do retro 1980's with a shirt (top button open), skinny tie (knotted but loosened), jeans & odd waistcoat & a slim jacket. Shoes can be anything from sneakers to boots. No guarantees but there is no harm in experimenting. If people already accept you, then they will probably accept your idiosyncrasies. Share photos of your experiments! We love action photos here.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads