• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is a camel overcoat too flashy?

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What he said!

You seem to confuse good taste and flashy, good taste are good virtues and standards for everyone. Flashy is being the sore thumb with poor taste.
A camel overcoat is a classic item, most man and women, regardless of their wealth, will agreed on this. I don't believe something not ordinary will inherent a flashy badge.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have a charcoal and a camel hair overcoat. I prefer the camel and find I wear it more often.

Inappropriate in your circumstances and certainly not likely to foster trust.

Stick with charcoal or navy blue.

I think harvey is in a relativly small town and in a position that requires people to trust him, so I would take his position on this as relevant to you, but there is also the element that you make your living off of people trusting you in a relatvily un-sophisticated enviroment, and do you feel comfortable with this "Statement".

as for me - I'd love a camel coat. I have a tabbacco colored cashmere as well as charcoal and dark blue coats, and the next one I get will be alpaca. maybe one day I'll justify a camel.

pendragon

Reaction score
English villains have been wearing camel overcoats since at least the 50s. Nuffink wrong wiv lookin' a little bit Harry Dash, my son. Just make sure you get one with a large enough pocket for your sawn-off..

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could try a darker camel. Either way, a camel coat is a classic, and it stands out no more/less than say, a double breasted suit.

PaisleySnail

Reaction score
This is something I've often wondered as well.

I also have a related question - can you wear a camel overcoat with black shoes? I've always thought brown shoes looked better with a camel overcoat, but this makes it even more flashy.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Insofar as "flash" is concerned, a camel's hair polo coat is certainly an eyeful, due the lightness of color, but is not "flashy" as such. However, such a light-colored garment is prone to needing more dry cleaning, and one of such soft material would not be, with constant use, be as durable as a wool overcoat in a darker color.

For the record, I have a double-breasted camel's hair overcoat, and it is the warmest of all of my overcoats, and for the record, I wear it with either black or brown shoes, depending on the suit that's underneath it.

Last edited:

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are 60+ years old then you can wear camel without raising eyebrows. Why not get Navy or Charcoal. Navy coat looks great in any settings.

myk7000

Reaction score
I'd certainly rock a well-fitted camel coat. I think they look great, and I've been coveting one for a while.

Again, just like everyone else, I'd rather stick with charcoal, navy, or black as a 1st coat though.

woolymammoth

Reaction score

Is a camel overcoat too flashy? NO

I agree, camel polo coat hanging out in Astros Diner in New York City...

camel-astros.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads