• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone 5

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Spent some more time with iOS 6 last night and have some thoughts.

Passbook is largely useless at the moment. You open the app and all it does is link you to the App Store. Problem is, I can't seem to find any content for it. It's very unlike Apple to release a product like this, with no actual use when released. If they were unable to get any partners ready for the app's launch then they should have included some kind of formal tutorial show off it's potential. I can see a lot of people open the app up, get discouraged and never want to touch it again. This could hurt it's potential before it even has a chance to take off. Not sure how they managed to fumble the ball like this.

I love the pull to refresh in Mail, but wish they had not made the action take as long of a movement as it does. Currently, the drag motion is slightly annoying in this way. I have hope they will shorten it in a future patch.

Love the new App store look. Much cleaner.

"Do Not Disturb" is a great addition, but please don't make me enter in settings every time I want to change it. They need to add this to the Notification Panel or in the multitasking pane for quick access.

Tried Siri on my iPad 3. The lag between a spoken command and a response is still annoying. It's clear Apple has yet to fix the server issues they have had with it since the iPhone 4S launched. I want to use it and adapt the function into my daily routine, but the lag might end up being what prevents me from doing so.

Still have yet to find any major bugs or UI lag. Props to Apple for getting the update out this clean.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i don't do much browsing at all anymore on the phone. Most websites that I'd frequent (cnn, cnbc, weather channel, google, wikipedia) have apps that makes the whole thing much more seamless anyways.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Can you at least stick some Sbux app in there? :confused:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It makes me wonder how much Steve Jobs was involved in the development of the iPhone 5. I just can't envision Jobs allowing them to release a maps app that is clearly inferior to a competitor's version from more than 2 years ago.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It makes me wonder how much Steve Jobs was involved in the development of the iPhone 5. I just can't envision Jobs allowing them to release a maps app that is clearly inferior to a competitor's version from more than 2 years ago.

Jobs was certainly the key figure in the decision to slowly move the company away from being so tied to Google's products. It's well known how he felt about the company and (in his words) Android being a "stolen product." I'd do a little research on this division if you are honestly curious about why all this has been put into motion.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just mad at myself for listening to fanbois. :(

I swapped from a 4s to Galaxy S3 and I love it. Just hold out on whatever android you have now and get the Galaxy s4 in February, like you were saying.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The new release of every phone has issues. The 4 the biggest was the antenna issue and Jobs was involved with that. **** happens and it gets fixed, just the way it works.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The new release of every phone has issues. The 4 the biggest was the antenna issue and Jobs was involved with that. **** happens and it gets fixed, just the way it works.

It would be great is people kept this in mind.

Passbook Apps:

http://www.mactrast.com/2012/09/passbook-enabled-apps-start-arriving-on-app-store/

Not sure what the complaining is about with the map. Seems to work fine for me.

All the complaining is based off of reviews and some random blog posts. Hardly anyone has actually TRIED the app to form their own opinion. I have no doubt that it's not the strongest map app solution on the market, but am willing to bet it's not as bad as some seem to be implying. Plus as I have been saying, it will get better.

Last edited:

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last night I Upgraded my phone to iOS six with no problems. My iPad on the other hand has problems. Siri is not working, probably a server problem. And I had to skip iCloud set up because it wouldn't logon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads