• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone 5

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't think they'll lose a lot, tbh. I'd rather start a petition to tell Apple to stop dumping your money.

Please explain.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well one of the reasons I bought the iPhone was for the GPS / handheld mapping for when I get lost on foot.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unfamiliar cities, like LA or SF. Parts where I have not yet explored.

I'm sure the GPS / Google map app or just the internet will be fine. Making a big deal out of nothing really.

The time shows 'we' have become too dependent on technology.

I wonder if a hipster will freak out when their phone says turn left but here is a wall there. Nah, they'll probably try climbing over.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Keep in mind the Atlantic article is basically a PR piece for Google. That does not mean there is not a lot of truth to it, but I don't believe they are telling the whole story. The link I posted earlier had an interesting counter argument. That is the large amount of usage data Google is going to lose in this transition.

Former colleagues and friends work on Maps for Google, and the Atlantic article has public info that can be shared. Apple's Maps is really behind what Google's doing, and that's just where they're starting from. The infrastructure Google has for developing Maps is very impressive and huge. I wish Apple the best of luck and admire their pluck in trying to do this themselves, but it will be a very long, very steep uphill climb for them.

Anyway, this may be moot soon as the rumor mill says the Google Maps app has been submitted, awaiting approval from Apple. http://9to5mac.com/2012/09/20/googl...-approval-it-is-solely-up-to-apple-to-approve

Loading slowly and other similar issues aren't indicative of the quality of the Maps, only that perhaps you had a bad data connection or reception. The compass waving thing is necessary to calibrate the compass in the iPhone. It's a hardware thing, not a property of Maps.

The issue with Maps is the quality of the data, and how good the search is for stuff in the Maps. Here's a good illustration of how much more information Google has:

http://9to5mac.com/2012/09/20/as-apples-new-maps-get-ridiculed-its-partners-feel-the-burn-lash-out

8006546029_ae1e535132_o.jpeg

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That may be, but constantly using Google Maps in the browser would be clumsy experience compared to an app. You would also not have any type of GPS which is a selling point. Now it's possible that Google will release a map app with GPS, but this is speculation for now. It's something I hope we see.

People could always use other 3rd party GPS solutions, but that would still be a negative for Google in usage data even if it hurts Apple at the same time.

The main thing to keep in mind is that historically people stick with the built in apps. Until Apple opens up the OS to allow 3rd party apps to be set as the default, I don't see this changing.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wait, what was that mapping and seeing all those 3-D buildings about? Is that based on Apple's OS or another GPS provider/app?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Updated to io6. Really hoping for a Google Maps app soon.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Former colleagues and friends work on Maps for Google, and the Atlantic article has public info that can be shared. Apple's Maps is really behind what Google's doing, and that's just where they're starting from. The infrastructure Google has for developing Maps is very impressive and huge. I wish Apple the best of luck and admire their pluck in trying to do this themselves, but it will be a very long, very steep uphill climb for them.

Anyway, this may be moot soon as the rumor mill says the Google Maps app has been submitted, awaiting approval from Apple. http://9to5mac.com/2012/09/20/googl...-approval-it-is-solely-up-to-apple-to-approve

Loading slowly and other similar issues aren't indicative of the quality of the Maps, only that perhaps you had a bad data connection or reception. The compass waving thing is necessary to calibrate the compass in the iPhone. It's a hardware thing, not a property of Maps.

The issue with Maps is the quality of the data, and how good the search is for stuff in the Maps. Here's a good illustration of how much more information Google has:
http://9to5mac.com/2012/09/20/as-apples-new-maps-get-ridiculed-its-partners-feel-the-burn-lash-out
8006546029_ae1e535132_o.jpeg

Agree with your statement here. I do believe that Apple's Map solution is behind Google's right now. That's a fact that is not being disputed. My point focused on the key area that will allow Apple to improve it's app over time and will remove a large portion of the dataset that Google's been using to improve theirs. Is this something you disagree with?

It's going to be a long, challenging process for Apple. Will generate a lot of negative PR and word of mouth as we are already seeing.

I wish they had not made this move, but I do not believe it will be a deal breaker for me.

Last edited:

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My point focused on the key area that will allow Apple to improve it's app over time and will remove a large portion of the dataset that Google's been using to improve theirs. Is this something you disagree with?

Perhaps. Without internal knowledge, it's hard to say how much iPhone usage improves their maps compared to the many other mechanisms (Android phones, Mapmaker, camera cars and planes, desktop users, internal development work, etc.) they have for doing so.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Former colleagues and friends work on Maps for Google, and the Atlantic article has public info that can be shared. Apple's Maps is really behind what Google's doing, and that's just where they're starting from. The infrastructure Google has for developing Maps is very impressive and huge.

I play a very small role in this, and yes the whole infrastructure is pretty mind boggling.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I LOLed:

tumblr_mao2esyGUG1rc802yo1_1280.jpg

Reference: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/24/w...oration-of-ecce-****-fresco-shocks-spain.html

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those wanting GoogleMaps back, a work-around:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Agree with your statement here. I do believe that Apple's Map solution is behind Google's right now. That's a fact that is not being disputed. My point focused on the key area that will allow Apple to improve it's app over time and will remove a large portion of the dataset that Google's been using to improve theirs. Is this something you disagree with?
It's going to be a long, challenging process for Apple. Will generate a lot of negative PR and word of mouth as we are already seeing.
I wish they had not made this move, but I do not believe it will be a deal breaker for me.

The issue is not purely that apple maps is worse.

The issue is that if I currently own a phone with google maps installed and upgrade to ios6, all of my other apps stick around but Apple forcibly removes google maps (since its not a user-installed app) and puts in their far inferior replacement.

I'm sorry, but I find that absolutely unacceptable.

Why not keep google maps and install Apple maps and hope that users are wooed over by some stupid 3d ****...or more likely, by the fact that they can now get turn by turn nav. It could essentially make inroads as Apple Nav instead of Apple Maps (on android, the navigation app is separate from maps...and that doesn't stop people from using nav).

Disabling features doesn't make people happy...especially people in new york or chicago who use their phone all of the time to get directions--only they want public transit directions which apple won't give.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics