• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone 5

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A couple people in the comments section are saying that they have read conflicting reports on this. It's possible that the PR spokesperson who reached out to them was misinformed. Hopefully this is the case, because it's not good news for anyone wanting to stick on one of those two carriers.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Oh wow... iPhone 5 won't support simultaneous voice and data over Verizon or Sprint's LTE networks.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/13/3328492/iphone-5-simultaneous-voice-data-verizon-sprint

Hopefully someone will find out why and report on it ASAP. While this was the case on their 3G CDMA phones, LTE devices fixed this issue for these networks. Why the iPhone 5 would be an exception to this, is unknown. Unless this changes, I cannot recommend someone goes with either of these carriers for the new iPhone. AT&T would have a clear advantage here.

Verizon is by far the best carrier in my MSA. Could be another Android based phone in my future.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Oh wow... iPhone 5 won't support simultaneous voice and data over Verizon or Sprint's LTE networks.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/13/3328492/iphone-5-simultaneous-voice-data-verizon-sprint
Hopefully someone will find out why and report on it ASAP. While this was the case on their 3G phones, LTE devices fixed this issue for these networks. Why the iPhone 5 would be an exception to this, is unknown. Unless this changes, I cannot recommend someone goes with either of these carriers for the new iPhone. AT&T would have a clear advantage here.

HOLY ****!

Thank God I'm on AT&T.

what't the big deal with that ? i never find myself wanting to use anything when on the phone (which i could while in wifi area for example)

blairh

Reaction score
If the Verge is misreporting here they will look like idiots. And that Verizon rep will be fired.

My guess is that The Verge is reporting the truth, and that's a shame for Verizon customers looking to get an iPhone 5.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok, I can confirm we are getting conflicting reports here. This is from Verizon's own Twitter account and it says that voice and data IS supported at the same time. http://twitter.com/VZWSupport/status/246015585434095617

I guess we just need to wait for the final word to hit here. Someone's got the info wrong.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

what't the big deal with that ? i never find myself wanting to use anything when on the phone (which i could while in wifi area for example)

It's a useful feature to have and I use it frequently. Talking to a friend and need to look up something like a movie showing? Done. Directions? Done. Business call that requires you to forward a related email? Done.

I couldn't live without being able to talk on my smartphone and use the data features while doing so.

Last edited:

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a useful feature to have and I use it frequently. Talking to a friend and need to look up something like a movie showing? Done. Directions? Done. Business call that requires you to forward a related email? need to update SF while talking to a client? Done. Being able to talk on my smartphone and use the data features while doing so.

FTFY

Last edited:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm trying to work out what's going on here..
iPhone 5 US Apple Store.

iPhone 5 UK Apple Store.

So the iPhone 5 in the US priced from $199, yet in the UK it's 529 GBP, that's a whopping $850 USD!! :puzzled: A case of ripoff Britain? It's heavily carrier subsidised in the US but not in the UK perhaps?
No comments about China pricing, because it's not available here yet. Apple's website still shows the iPhone 4S here.

The 199$ are including a contract, with which you repay the remaing bucks over two years.
In the UK, you get it sans contract and can get whatever you want to.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, but as I pointed out earlier people won't have to use the adapter with their cars. Most cars that sync and can control the output from an iPhone/iPod do this via USB ports in the car. It's not like cars have iPhone docks built into the dash.

I'm not so sure about most cars. Many cars use USB but both of my cars don't and use the analog output signals on the 30-pin connector. I think many audio docks will be affected by this too unless the Lightning adapter has a DAC in it. I was going to preorder tonight but because of this uncertainty, I'll probably wait til October when the adapter ships to see what happens.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

The 199$ are including a contract, with which you repay the remaing bucks over two years.
In the UK, you get it sans contract and can get whatever you want to.

Isn't a contract just an agreement to pay a service charge which you have to pay anyway to use the phone ? How is that any different unless you keep switching carriers to pay same sum divided across diff companies

Last edited:

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a useful feature to have and I use it frequently. Talking to a friend and need to look up something like a movie showing? Done. Directions? Done. Business call that requires you to forward a related email? Done.
I couldn't live without being able to talk on my smartphone and use the data features while doing so.

i'm switching from ATT to Verizon. that will bum me out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads