• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone 5

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Spent some more time with the 5 this weekend. I'm going to be blunt. I don't care for the screen for the very reasons I have questioned the decision in the past. Going widescreen, instead of keeping the aspect ratio, was a mistake. It's awkward feeling and looking. You don't get enough benefit from the additional screen real-estate other then videos and gaming. They should have just increased the size, with the old aspect ratio, and dealt with any fragmentation it might have caused in their app ecosystem. It's a rare case of bad design from Apple.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't understand your reasoning at all for not going widescreen. While I don't do gaming, or watch many movies on my phone I wouldn't like an overall larger screen. I personally am really happy with mine.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The problem is when held in portrait you don't really get much benefit. If they had increased the screen on all sides, you could have increased the size of the on screen keyboard as an example. Making for a better typing experience. Webpages and e-books would be able to show larger fonts. See what I am getting at?

I'm happy with the size they picked, just not how they implemented it. It's not a deal breaker for me, but I think they should have gone in a different direction.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok, I see what you are saying. I still prefer a compact phone compared to those gains in preserving the aspect ratio.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Ok, I see what you are saying. I still prefer a compact phone compared to those gains in preserving the aspect ratio.

Agreed here. Keeping it compact was smart. I really dislike some of these larger Android phones floating around.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I remember a long time ago people were saying the iphone 5 was going to have a slightly curved back. I wonder what happened with that?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Rumors. Perhaps based on an early prototype that never got made, but who can say for sure. They go through a lot of design ideas before one is chosen.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I probably would have gone for a Samsung S3 or Note because I love bigger screens but the move away from the Apple environment, music, apps, iCloud, etc. has had just the sticky effect that no doubt they have been going for. Too much of a PITA to change my whole life. I've got other investments in this platform now.

Anyways, I gather my 5 may be in by now but who knows.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm the same way. Feel locked into Apple's ecosystem. For better or worse, I can't picture myself switching anytime soon.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Fanbois.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
:lol: can't tell if serious.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I cancelled my order today. Hearing you criticize the screen was the last straw. :(

Think I'll wait until Feb. for the next Samsung or maybe the new Lumia.

You bailed just before the fanboi secret handshake reveal.

This thread separates the Fanbois from the boys

Please start a Samsung/Lumia thread.

If you wait that long to kop a phone, wait a little longer for the 5S. It's gotta be better than this disappointment of a phone!

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone on verizon having weird issues with voicemail. I've been getting the same message delivered 6-7 times

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads