1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mussel, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

I thought this fact was well known around these parts? :puzzled:

2. Jr Mouse

I think that's a strong point. Actually mentioned the same thing to that friend of mine who was complaining about it.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I have never hid the state of my ineptitude.

Btw, there's a point where "simplicity" becomes "unwieldy." This lack of a slicker way to handle dozens of apps is unwieldy. I like the folders as you can aggregate like apps. I still think the meta screen would also help.

4. Jr Mouse

Like I said, they do need to come up with a better solution then folders... There has been rumors of a UI redesign coming down the pipe, but I will believe it when I see it.

Have you tried using Spotlight? It's not my thing, but I know some people use that to quickly find apps.

I actually do like the fact you can have one extra row of apps on your home screen now. I have a handful of apps that I use all the time and this will allow me to keep them all visible and within quick reach.

5. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

I think that the folers is a great way to store a lot of similar apps - I have a folder for NYC stuff, one for utilities, one for food and wine apps, etc.

Unfortunately, the folder also means I forget about some of the apps I have.

6. Jr Mouse

It's the forgetting of certain apps that I take issue with. Happens to me all the time with folders.

7. Piobaire

I like folders and keeping my icons to two rows up top and my four in the bottom dock. I have a "News" icon that will open several news apps, a "Utilities" icon that opens everything from Settings to my calculator. I like to see my homescreen picture and to keep it uncluttered. I'll post a screen cap when I get home as my work firewall blocks photobucket.

Speaking of the bottom dock, they should make is scrollable like my old Android front end. :)

8. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

I do this, and it works fine for me. 1 click to get to the 1st app page, and another click or swipe to go to Spotlight. I've tried to organize things in pages and folders, but with a lot of apps, it gets pretty unwieldy and hard to remember. Now I make pages dedicated to some functions, especially if I'm going to be staying on that page a lot. For example, I have a photo page that has all of my photo apps, so I can switch between various photo editors and other apps in my photo workflow quickly.

I do wish they'd let people place apps in arbitrary grid spots on the screen instead of automatically putting everything next to each other. This way, you can easily remember something based on position instead of trying to parse the sometimes inscrutable icon pictures to find your app. On my full pages, I do place things in certain positions so I can find them faster.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  9. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

i find turning off spotlight actually saves on battery life.

10. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

I love the folders. Their biggest drawback is I can't put that f*cking newsstand in one.

11. Piobaire

Can't "nest" folders.

Speaking of Newstand, any good free subscriptions?

12. Jr Mouse

THE DAILY is ok. I hardly use Newstand.

13. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Newsstand is definitely annoying. I have all my apps on one screen - a few of the most used apps at the top, and the rest in various folders. I like being, at most, one click away from any app. Would much rather replace Newsstand with something I use, though.

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Interesting. I don't think I have ever used spotlight. Turning it off.

15. Jumbie

Jumbie Well-Known Member

Ha, I'm totally gonna get shit on for this but I can't help it.

Friend of mine finally got his new iPhone 5. He previously had the 4s and paid a bit more than the $200 the upgrade usually costs cause he did an early upgrade. He walks into morning report and is talking about how much he loves his new iPhone and how it's "so much better".

So, wondering what he'll come up with, I simply ask "Why?" and he gets a startled look on his face for a split second and the best answer he can come up with is "it's so much lighter!"

I waited for more. There wasn't any...

I could understand him being so amazed by how much better it was if he came from a 3GS or maybe even a 4 but to hear him prattle on about how much better his new phone was than his 4S was hilarious. I guess that's the iHype.

Full disclaimer - I'm an Android fanbois and I'm rocking my 3 year old Evo 4G for which I've been eligible for an upgrade since Dec 2011. It's getting a little long in the tooth but still does more than enough.

16. patrickBOOTH

For me it is the clearer screen, and speed that does it for me. It is actually useable for internet surfing between the processor and 4G.

17. Jr Mouse

It's thinner, lighter, has a bigger screen with better color reproduction, improved camera & Wi-Fi, LTE and a faster processor with more RAM. I wouldn't upgrade over a 4S myself, but it's laughable to pretend it's not a nice improvement. It's not iHype.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  18. Jumbie

Jumbie Well-Known Member

Sure, if he had said any of those things I could understand.

But he didn't. For someone who was enthusiastically proclaiming how much better his new phone was the only reason he gave was "it's lighter".

Really?!

I'm pretty sure that the reason he upgraded his phone is that 5 is a bigger number than 4.

19. Piobaire

For the record, I thought it was the same camera...just an upgraded lens. Cover.

20. patrickBOOTH

I honestly see no difference in performance of the camera from the iPhone 4