• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In praise of Oxxford customer service

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In August I received a MTM, 2-button navy blazer from Oxxford and proceeded to wear it for two days at a professional conference. An issue developed with one of the buttons and I also noticed that the lapels appeared to roll to a point where a third button might be located. I returned the blazer to the menswear store where I had purchased it and as luck would have it, I was able to return the blazer on the very day Oxxford was having a trunk show. I explained to the store salesman that I would like to have (1) the button fixed, (2) the lapel roll modified so it is appropriate for a normal 2-button jacket. I had apparently mis-communicated my desires to the salesman and I would like to have it fixed, (3) pick stitching added (since I knew they would need to re-cut and re-stitch the canvas anyway), and (4) the sleeves lengthened by ¼". As I was browsing the Oxxford fabrics, I heard the salesman communicate my wishes to the Oxxford representative and say "so the lapels will need to be pressed so they roll to the top button". As I stood up to intervene, I heard the Oxxford rep reply "No, the canvas will need to be re-cut and re-sewn. We'll take care of it". So I smiled, sat down, and resumed my browsing.

Well, my blazer was recently shipped to me and Oxxford took care of everything, *at no charge to me*. So even though the initial lapel roll was a result of mis-communication between me and the salesman, Oxxford essentially re-constructed the chest of my blazer and accommodated my request for pick stitching for free. This is an example of wonderful customer service (too rarely seen today) and makes me an even greater fan of Oxxford. They not only make a great garment, but they are also a great company!

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Congrats. It's always nice to hear that such class and customer service still exist.

mrchapel

Reaction score
Glad to hear you've received good service from such an esteemed company. Looks like they now have a customer for life.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
So even though the initial lapel roll was a result of mis-communication between me and the salesman
This is why it's best to be measured by and order through the flagship, the factory or at the trunk shows.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am less than pleased. They've always been nice and accomodating, but if they had gotten everything right the first time, they wouldn't have to be. I had fit issues, which is fine. However, they've been working on the same shoulder problem through about 4 fittings. Worst of all, every time I go for each fitting, I point out that one of the pairs of trousers is missing its inner closure button. Each time I have come back and there is still no button. That's sloppy, not to mention the fact that it should have been there in the first place.

In the end, I'm going to have a really high-quality suit with great construction that fits pretty well. But at $3K+, I expect better. I'm going to be happy with the suit and wear it, assuming this phantom ripple in the shoulder is finally taken care of. But, IMHO, spend the extra grand and go bespoke.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
spend the extra grand and go bespoke.
And bespoke is problem free?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
No, of course not. But I think there would be fewer of the kind of balance problems I have experienced with RTW and MTM.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thinman
I returned the blazer to the menswear store where I had purchased it and as luck would have it, I was able to return the blazer on the very day Oxxford was having a trunk show. I explained to the store salesman that I would like to have (1) the button fixed, (2) the lapel roll modified so it is appropriate for a normal 2-button jacket. I had apparently mis-communicated my desires to the salesman and I would like to have it fixed, (3) pick stitching added (since I knew they would need to re-cut and re-stitch the canvas anyway), and (4) the sleeves lengthened by ¼". As I was browsing the Oxxford fabrics, I heard the salesman communicate my wishes to the Oxxford representative and say "so the lapels will need to be pressed so they roll to the top button". As I stood up to intervene, I heard the Oxxford rep reply "No, the canvas will need to be re-cut and re-sewn. We'll take care of it". So I smiled, sat down, and resumed my browsing.

Thinman, you are a lucky fellow in some ways to have the Oxxford people nearby for the corrections. If I had been of the same fortune many years ago with my MTM Oxxford garments, I might have never gone to bespoke.

Nevertheless, for academic purposes, I hope you won't mind my mention of your recent and first bespoke experience with Mr. Romeo Singca. Would you care to compare and contrast the two experiences regarding (at least) customer service? How do you feel about the difficulties of establishing a working language with a bespoke tailor as opposed to your relatively unique fortune of having the Oxxford representative on hand to hear your plea? Your opinion (if you wish to offer it) may be of interest fellow forum members.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am less than pleased. They've always been nice and accomodating, but if they had gotten everything right the first time, they wouldn't have to be. I had fit issues, which is fine. However, they've been working on the same shoulder problem through about 4 fittings. Worst of all, every time I go for each fitting, I point out that one of the pairs of trousers is missing its inner closure button. Each time I have come back and there is still no button. That's sloppy, not to mention the fact that it should have been there in the first place.

In the end, I'm going to have a really high-quality suit with great construction that fits pretty well. But at $3K+, I expect better. I'm going to be happy with the suit and wear it, assuming this phantom ripple in the shoulder is finally taken care of. But, IMHO, spend the extra grand and go bespoke.

If you are really on the "about" fourth fitting (and I do not doubt your word) at this time, the entire mess should go into the trash and you should have your measurements properly taken once again. The MTM pattern modifications are far from close to accuracy.

I love each of the MTM Oxxford garments that I've purchased over the years. Sadly, the vagaries of the Oxxford MTM never allowed for me to be in-store for final adjustments while one of the trunk shows was in progress. Fit was always problematic for me. Thinman was quite lucky to have the Oxxford representative nearby.

What Tomasso refers to is paramount. More than one fitting is almost always necessary whether or not the job is MTM or bespoke.

No garment in my memory has ever been a perfect fit the first time around. Try communicating the nuance of a fit challenge to anyone other than the person that is directing and/or performing the alteration. The retailer's associate was evidently without a clue about the proper way to carryout Thinman's wishes. Thinman was extremely fortunate to have the Oxxford representative present.

As I've mentioned in previous threads, I went to bespoke several years ago primarily because of communication frustrations. When I am at the basted or forward fittings with my bespoke tailor, I can be exacting in my wishes and know that they will be incorporated in the final product. No sales associate stands the way of communication.

Going bespoke takes great commitment on the part of the client as well as the tailor. It takes some period of time to establish a working vocabulary and effective language. What Thinman received was a blessing from an otherwise unknowing Oxxford because of a calendar coincidence.

At great risk to his time, energy, and wallet Thinman recently submitted to the bespoke process with my tailor, Mr. Romeo Singca, in La Jolla. In my immediately prior post, I suggested that Thinman comment on his initial bespoke process with Mr. Singca. It took time and a few garments for me to create an honest and effective working language with Romeo. Perhaps Thinman will have the desire and the time to remark on his initial foray into bespoke. I cannot speak for the results or Thinman's opinion because I have not inserted my nose into the process. I can only hope that Thinman's experiment was a positive beginning event with a great copyist.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Zach, you get major credit for persistence. Maybe you should get some bespoke done in Italy (you seem like the kind of guy who gets to Maranello frequently
wink.gif
).

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"About" is an understatement. It's been 5.

Yikes! You are certainly more patient than I am! That thing is now the sow's ear and must be beyond salvage at this point! Call those fellows onto the carpet and demand a refund or a new beginning with expedited delivery.

Once you find a bespoke tailor or two that you trust, it is unlikely that you will always need even a third fitting after your relationship is established.

It would sure be nice to walk into a local retailer and find clothes with a perfect fit, thorough selection of styles and colors, and fantastic supporting tailors at RTW prices.

We can always dream!
smile.gif

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
Yikes! You are certainly more patient than I am! That thing is now the sow's ear and must be beyond salvage at this point! Call those fellows onto the carpet and demand a refund or a new beginning with expedited delivery. Once you find a bespoke tailor or two that you trust, it is unlikely that you will always need even a third fitting after your relationship is established. It would sure be nice to walk into a local retailer and find clothes with a perfect fit, thorough selection of styles and colors, and fantastic supporting tailors at RTW prices. We can always dream!
smile.gif

It's really nice. It just has this bubble on the shoulder seem near the neck - like a ripple under the fabric that won't go away. They have taken the fabric in along that seam in an effort to get rid of what they perceive is extra fabric, but now the tailor dude with the goatee (nice guy) feels it and is like "yeah, it's like there's something underneath the fabric..." Which I don't think is true, because I get it with a lot of RTW jackets due to a right shoulder lower than the left. I think they just got my shoulder angle/slant wrong. I think they are sick of me too. Last time I went in, they suggested that now they mail me the finished garment! haha - they don't want me to come in and try it on again - they want to mail it to me and be done with it. Ah well. I'm sure it will be lovely. It's got a great blue paisley lining
blush.gif
I'm sure it will be here soon and will post pics. Who knows, it may be perfect!

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Assuming you've chosen a good tailor and know exactly what you want, there should be no problems. I'm kind of sick of all this bias against bespoke when you get a garment MADE FOR YOUR BODY for the same price as Oxxford, Brioni, or whatnot. I do not deny that these companies put in an excellent amount of handwork, details, and great materials and construction. However, at this price point I'd go all the way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads