• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ideas for what to wear with these slubby brown cotton Gustin pants? I suck at casual pants that are

lalaland

Reaction score
So I'm decent with denim 'cause it's easy to dress it up or down. I do fine with classic menswear. But with casual non-denim pants - especially with unique textures - I fall flat.

I ordered these Gustin pants on a whim, which should arrive next month - but I haven't a clue how to pair them with shoes or with shirts.

https://www.weargustin.com/campaigns/1468

A few questions:

1 - Should textures match or contrast? In other words, these pants seem to have some texture, plus some variability in the saturation of the dye. So when pairing them with a shirt - do I want something very plain and smooth (i.e. white t-shirt)? Or is it more pleasing to the eye to have a rougher textured shirt - such as the denim in the picture. Aside from knowing that white goes with everything, and that blue is the complementary color to brown, I really don't know what to do with these pants.

2 - Shoes. Obviously I want something a bit funky - kicks? Boots?

Sorry for these questions but I really need to break out of the denim shell.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Avoid a brown shirt unless you want to look like poo.

I would wear them like I would a pair of chinos in a similar color and wear contrasting colors that compliment the brown (like the blue shirt the model is wearing)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads