• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I made macarons!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
foomacarons.jpg

For our fourth wedding anniversary, I promised my wife I'd make her something. On our honeymoon in Paris, we ate nothing but macarons, so I thought I'd give them a go. I was a bit frightened by their notoriety for fickleness, but once I bought up all the ingredients, I was locked in.

I used this YouTube video as my main guide:

No good reason. The chick's voice was just too hot to pass up. Also, she has some very helpful troubleshooting tips. But seriously, watch the video in private and enjoy.

The first few batches were disaster. The biggest problem was that I kept over-mixing the batter. The macaron lady says 50 folds. But I kept finding that my batter would go from dry and crunchy to watery and soupy within 10 or 12 folds. The batter needs to be right in the middle: smooth and oozy, but more viscous and less liquid. I realized that I must not be beating the egg whites stiff enough to begin with. She says 10 minutes of beating, but in our KitchenAid at max speed, it really needs more like 15-16 minutes. After I tried beating the egg whites longer, I found that the folding-in of the almond meal and sugar went much more gradual and I could control the pace better.

After that, it's all easy as pie. You just pipe the batter onto parchment paper and bake for 20 minutes at 300 degrees. Once the folding of the batter was nailed, I could pump out batch after batch with near perfect consistency. No pancake macarons. No cracked macarons. No stuck macarons. They all looked perfect, like they would in a decent patisserie, including the "feet" (the rough bottom edge of each macaron top).

However, there was a further hang-up. For flavors, I picked red bean and black sesame. To do the red bean, I chose to flavor the filling (a butter cream). For the black sesame, I chose to flavor the macaroon tops themselves (to be combined with vanilla butter cream filling). The latter did not come out as consistently. By adding ground black sesame seeds to the batter, I must have sufficiently messed up the mix such that it didn't bake right. Inexplicably, half the black sesame macarons came out fine, while the others looked good but were crunchy inside instead of pillowy. I will need to experiment with this. Maybe the solution is to reduce the amount of almond meal to compensate for the added black sesame.

For the butter cream, I used this recipe: http://www.yumsugar.com/Basic-French-Macaron-Recipe-21651110

No good reason again. Just looked simple.

Anyway, I'm fairly happy with my efforts and think the next time around will go much smoother now that I know what to look out for. I want to try both flavors again, but am considering others. Suggestions?

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
damn, those look awesome. I envy your commitment to make them, but I'd probably just go to Laduree. They might have good flavor examples for you to follow.

that remidns me, my father loves macarons, so for Christmas last year I bought him a giant box from Laduree with two macarons of each flavor. That's a lot of cookies, and he was ecstatic.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

damn, those look awesome. I envy your commitment to make them, but I'd probably just go to Laduree. They might have good flavor examples for you to follow.
that remidns me, my father loves macarons, so for Christmas last year I bought him a giant box from Laduree with two macarons of each flavor. That's a lot of cookies, and he was ecstatic.

The Laduree ones are awesome. We headed over to the UES as soon as they opened up a shop there. We rationalized that the walk across the park burned off at least one or two macarons worth of calories.

My favorite flavors there are the rose blossom, the caramel, and the plain vanilla. My favorite of all time though are the ones we had at Sudaharu Aoki in Paris. As the name implies, many of the flavors are Asian. They had five or six different tea-flavored macarons, for example. They also had cherry blossom macarons, which may be my absolute favorite of all.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

The Laduree ones are awesome. We headed over to the UES as soon as they opened up a shop there. We rationalized that the walk across the park burned off at least one or two macarons worth of calories.
My favorite flavors there are the rose blossom, the caramel, and the plain vanilla.

I'm addicted to the lemon ones. Other favorites are blackcurrant violet, pistacio, and vanilla.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm addicted to the lemon ones. Other favorites are blackcurrant violet, pistacio, and vanilla.

Oh man, I saw the blackcurrant ones last time, but my wife vetoed them. Will try.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
By the way, has anyone watched that video yet? Am I right?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

Oh man, I saw the blackcurrant ones last time, but my wife vetoed them. Will try.

I am disappoint. They're awesome because they have a wonderful floral touch, but the firmer texture and depth of flavor from the berry. Very different from the rose which, if I remember correctly, is quite light and sweet.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe the next batch will be taro. Or green tea.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go for Matcha because it works well with the hype. Nah but seriously, tasted great when I had it at Mariage Frères.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads