• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a huge piece pork shoulder. How do I cook this?

Milpool

Reaction score
Skin it, cut the skin into strips, simmer for a little bit in a weak solution of baking soda. Then, fry the strips until they are crispy and delicious. 1, maybe 2 pieces should be sufficient to give you a massive heart attack.

The rest of the thing. . .

I'd follow the slow cook consensus, just pick the flavors you prefer. Pork with rosemary and thyme is always good in my opinion.

Remove the meat from the bone, then simmer the bone in a pot with some veggie scraps (trimmings of onions, celery and carrots) and beans. You can season the beans how you like again. An idea would be cumin, bay leaf and garlic.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I find pork shoulder is cheap but it also disappears fast.

It seems that every time I buy a big chunk of it and invite some people over I get all excited about being able to make pork sandwiches or something next day but it there are never any leftovers...

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pork shoulder is one of the most forgiving cuts of meat in the entire food spectrum.

You could do zero seasoning and put it in a pot for 5 hours under low heat and it would turn out well.

Anything beyond this will only make it better. Just cook it under low heat.

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pork-shoulder.jpg

Allen

Reaction score
go out in the open, start a fire, fry it. It's delicious. No fancy recipe beats that.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
Manton's recipe sounds great. For a simpler recipe you could just rub in oregano, chopped garlic and olive oil, marinate over night and cook at 300 until done. This way you'll a multiple options in how you eat it afterward.

Except marinating overnight is useless unless you use an active culture.

Allen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
How does one fry something if all they have is a fire?

With a nice sharp stick, right through the middle, rotate from time to time. okay, I'm getting more caveman-ish than I should, but I didn't mean "just throw it in the fire". There are lots of way, best one is using a cooking grill.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Alternative to Manton's recipe:

Clean pork with lime juice (or vinegar).

In a blender add:
green pepper
garlic
onion
salt
pepper
lime zest
Sazon

blend until it is a sofrito.

Stab the pork and stuff the woulds with this mixture. Coat the rest of the pork with the balance of the mixture.

Leave shoulder in the fridge overnight (ideally for a day).

Put in roasting pan, cover and roast on 325 for 3-4 hours. You can baste with drippings & a bit of OJ.

Enjoy.

worship.gif

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
dang

why're there so many recipes.

i kinda want to what iammatt suggested. how do i cut this thing up

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Oh, guess I should stick pics in from the last time I smoked a pork shoulder:

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads