• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I broke up with my gf (general breakup thread)

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a modified Nil's text might be your best option. Something similar to "I won't be able to make to make dinner on Wednesday. I'm sorry for the erratic behaviour. I'm in a difficult place right now and need to take a step back and figure a few things out. This will be last contact with you for a long time. Please don't try to contact me. Then you have to live up to it. No FB, no phone, text, call, etc. Don't end it with anything like: "I love you" "I'll miss you" "It was wonderful" "I wish you all the best" etc Edit: there's a good chance she'll respond with "bye..." "fine then..." "I love you" " "love you too" "No, we're through" "Why? I thought we were finally getting things worked out" etc. They're all baited texts. You cannot respond. Period. It undoes everything.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Mark I has managed to turn this thread into a microcosm of his relationship. Closure doesn't exist dude. You don't even want it, you want drama, or a crescendo. It's not going to happen.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
I think a modified Nil's text might be your best option. Something similar to "I won't be able to make to make dinner on Wednesday. I'm sorry for the erratic behaviour. I'm in a difficult place right now and need to take a step back and figure a few things out. This will be last contact with you for a long time. Please don't try to contact me.

Then you have to live up to it. No FB, no phone, text, call, etc.

Don't end it with anything like: "I love you" "I'll miss you" "It was wonderful" "I wish you all the best" etc

"I won't be able to make to make dinner on Wednesday. I'm sorry for the erratic behaviour. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place right now and need to take a step back but can not because the rock is holding me in and i cant figure things out. This will be last contact with you for about two days. Please don't try to contact me for 48 hours.

End it with "my heart will go on" i miss you like the desert miss the rain" "your love is my drug"

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to go to this dinner, say my peace, this will be the end then. No more communication no nothing.

And I didn't mean literally walk out on her, well have dinner, talk, then well go our separate ways. I intend to be curt, not bring up what we had, no I love you'd, no I'll miss yous, just bye.

I do not see how this can go wrong.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarkI

worship.gif

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
hahaha at this point there's nothing for us to do but sit back and watch and enjoy

here's my prediction: epic blowout in the restaurants, tears of betrayal, and some sort of sloppy sex in a dumpster

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
hahaha at this point there's nothing for us to do but sit back and watch and enjoy

here's my prediction: epic blowout in the restaurants, tears of betrayal, and some sort of sloppy sex in a dumpster

Yup.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to go to this dinner, say my peace, this will be the end then. No more communication no nothing. And I didn't mean literally walk out on her, well have dinner, talk, then well go our separate ways. I intend to be curt, not bring up what we had, no I love you'd, no I'll miss yous, just bye. I do not see how this can go wrong.
The same way everything else has, dipshit. There's no polite way to say this. You're acting like a moron. You've fucked up every step of the way in spite of all of the advice presented. Almost everything that happened was predicted before it occurred by people who've been through it themselves and watched others go through it. Why do you keep asking about advice if you aren't willing to take it? The text is your last reasonable out. You remove all risk that things go up in smoke. It leaves you with the option of salvaging a relationship with this girl, whether you date again or become friends. Quite frankly I don't care if you report back that wednesday is a stellar success at this point. Everyone will know that you're full of **** because you obviously lack the mental capacities required for even the most basic cognition. I'm very understanding of the situation you're in, but I didn't have people giving me a play by play. Seriously man, read through this thread and examine very closely whether not you deserve the faith that you're placing in your self control and maturity given a difficult and stressful situation and your actions. Of course, I'm probably getting master trolled by three fat kids on the other side of the internet...
facepalm.gif
If not, I'm looking forward to the lulz.

kungapa

Reaction score
I'm going to go to this dinner, say my peace, this will be the end then. No more communication no nothing.

And I didn't mean literally walk out on her, well have dinner, talk, then well go our separate ways. I intend to be curt, not bring up what we had, no I love you'd, no I'll miss yous, just bye.

kingofpopcorn.gif

I'm eagerly awaiting the results of this. If you don't mind, please bring a camera or at least a microphone and record it all - it would make for a fun listen.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to go to this dinner, say my peace, this will be the end then. No more communication no nothing. And I didn't mean literally walk out on her, well have dinner, talk, then well go our separate ways. I intend to be curt, not bring up what we had, no I love you'd, no I'll miss yous, just bye. I do not see how this can go wrong.
I think having dinner, waiting the length of a meal, which probably neither of you will enjoy, and then saying your piece is a pretty bad idea. Arriving for dinner, saying your piece, and then sitting down to eat is probably worse, but the real issue is why are you having dinner at all? Is this like an anti-date? I know you don't want to cancel or back out, I can understand that. I respect wanting to "say your piece" face to face, and not standing her up but maybe you can commute it down to getting coffee? Otherwise all I can see is you talking and thinking yourself out of saying what you have to say (probably what I would do), a hideously frosty meal (and you will still have to pay for that food) or some kind of awful explosion/waterworks.

kungapa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ysc
I think having dinner, waiting the length of a meal which probably neither of you will enjoy, and then saying your piece is a pretty bad idea. Arriving for dinner, saying your piece, and then sitting down to eat is probably worse but the real issue is why are you having dinner at all? Is this like an anti-date?

I know you don't want to cancel or back out, I can understand that. I respect wanting to "say your piece" face to face, and not stand her up but maybe you can commute it down to getting coffee?

Otherwise all I can see is you talking and thinking yourself out of saying what you have to say (probably what I would do), a hideously frosty meal (and you will still have to pay for that food) or some kind of awful explosion/waterworks.

All the food consumed throughout their relation ship will be coming back up.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kungapa
All the food consumed throughout their relation ship will be coming back up.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Ok, since im such a big ******* idiot, someone please explain to me why this dinner is a bad idea?

Like I said, I dont intend it to be anything other than that, we'll talk, i'll say goodbye. That is all.

How is sending her a text cancelling it, going to make things any better. Dont you guys understand I want this to END, I have been going crazy the past 3 weeks with this ****, and shes clearly not leaning towards anything new. Why should I continue to go through this? Why cant I end it?

Sending that text just sends things going for like another two weeks, and im that marsupialed limbo again.

Basically this is how I see it, she cant make up her mind, this causes me to feel like ****. If I bow out courteously, and on a good note, maybe THAT will make her think differently, because oh ****, now he left me... I dont really have control anymore.

Thats my reasoning behind it.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, since im such a big ******* idiot, someone please explain to me why this dinner is a bad idea?

Like I said, I dont intend it to be anything other than that, we'll talk, i'll say goodbye. That is all.

How is sending her a text cancelling it, going to make things any better. Dont you guys understand I want this to END, I have been going crazy the past 3 weeks with this ****, and shes clearly not leaning towards anything new. Why should I continue to go through this? Why cant I end it?

Sending that text just sends things going for like another two weeks, and im that marsupialed limbo again.

Basically this is how I see it, she cant make up her mind, this causes me to feel like ****. If I bow out courteously, and on a good note, maybe THAT will make her think differently, because oh ****, now he left me... I dont really have control anymore.

Thats my reasoning behind it.

And if she doesnt feel like that then *******, im moving on in any case

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You wouldn't be doing all of this if you didn't want to be with her. You think you're going to feel better by getting closure, but you won't. Do you know why? The end result, her leaving, will still be the same. Anything other than her saying, "Let's stay together" is going to leave you feeling unfulfilled.

I say these things because I have been there before.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
You wouldn't be doing all of this if you didn't want to be with her. You think you're going to feel better by getting closure, but you won't. Do you know why? The end result, her leaving, will still be the same. Anything other than her saying, "Let's stay together" is going to leave you feeling unfulfilled.

I say these things because I have been there before.

This is obviously true, but at least itll lend me the oppurtunity to actually begin moving on, because I havent been able to do that yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads