• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I bought 3 Tom Fords and I feel terrible about it.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're foolish enough to spend $6,000 on a suit because of the name, then more power to you.

Wait...you didn't get TF made to measure? You bought OTR?...dummy.

If you like the look of TF, then just buy TF; don't try to have someone replicate it. It won't be the same, and you probably won't be 100% satisfied.

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Intense -

Feel free to post pics with your face either cropped out or photoshopped out. That's the style of most pictures on the site.

You can get as high quality cloth as you want for a bespoke suit. High end designers usually do have cloths that are exclusive to them, but they aren't necessarily "better" than the best stuff you can find from the cloth merchants, just different.

In terms of fit, if you have a great tailor, fit will be better. But don't assume that it will be better. There's plenty of bespoke stuff that's not all that great.

intense2b

Reaction score
Well I wouldn't say I was "dumb" I just didn't really know what I was doing . I learned the hard way.

After Learning about custom I'm wondering why soapy people but expensive off te rack?

Having said that you actually made be feel better because you and others say that TF can't be replicated.

As far as "made to measure" at bergdorfs I'm told that its pretty much the same as buying off the rack and having it tailored ?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tom Ford suits are very well made and use good cloth. In fact, the Tom Ford suits are as good or better than lots of low-end bespoke.
Now that you have them, enjoy them, and when you are ready to try real, good bespoke, you will have a good frame of reference.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MTM is different in the sense that instead of making edits (assuming they can be made at all) to an existing RTW garment, they take your measurements to the factory and make adjustments to the existing TF suit pattern. The suit you get, in theory, will be superior in fit to a RTW version. Any alterations after that just make the fit that much better.

I understand that those that don't go for bespoke do so because of time restrictions, don't care to go through the process, or are more brand conscious.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just know that Bespoke means picking every detail, from number and style of buttons on the cuff to the colour of the felt under the collar and everything in between. It sounds to me like you're not in the right place (both in skill and inclination) to embark on a 3 month journey to having your "dream suit" realised.

Stick with Off-the-Rack for now.

Made-to-measure means that they take the basic suit and build it to your exact measurements. This is great if your clothes are difficult to fit. If they fit nice with a little tailoring then there's no point.

In this instance you lucked out: Tom Ford is probably one of only a small handful of "designers" who actually uses good quality materials. The same can't be said for 99% of designers. You might take a step up in terms of quality if you went bespoke, but frankly you're not well versed enough to notice or care yet.

A final note: DONT BUY THE MOST EXPENSIVE FABRIC. The most expensive are usually the finest most delicate fabrics. If you wear your suits more than twice per month, then you're buying something that will wear out within a few months. A VERY rough guide would be to pick something between S120 and s150, with no more than 20% cashmere. I can't stress how rough that is, but it should avoid you buying s200 cloth made from a shaved angel that then falls apart in a week.

biged781

Reaction score
1. I wish I could feel bad about spending 18k on TF's instead of bespoke without money entering into the equation.
2. If you like the style and they fit you there is nothing to feel bad about.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is Tom Ford OTR with some alterations; it's not impossible to get a good fit without going bespoke. So if you like what you bought, have a decent tailor to adjust it, and you're not a terribly hard figure to fit, you really shouldn't feel terrible.

Geezer

Reaction score

This is Tom Ford OTR with some alterations; it's not impossible to get a good fit without going bespoke. So if you like what you bought, have a decent tailor to adjust it, and you're not a terribly hard figure to fit, you really shouldn't feel terrible.

This is true, and Jeffrey's photo shows it well - compare to many examples of bespoke on this forum that fit less well or no better.

With RTW and MTM, it is all about whether the "block" fits you to start with. From experience, you can never get the same fit from RTW/MTM that you can from good (good) bespoke, unless you are one of the 1% of people whose body shape exactly matches the "block". But you can get very, very close.

Example: I get compliments (and photograph well) in an RTW summer suit (properly altered) that cost me around $200 on sale. As many compliments as traditional paper-pattern, single cutter, Royal Warrrant bespoke costing 20 or more times as much. Why? Because the shoulders and chest fit me very well, and the rest has been tweaked to fit. Of course, the RTW suit doesn't have my preferred pocket layout, has slightly larger than desired armholes, and is made of a mass-market cloth with polyester thread and won't last anything like the bespoke, but who cares for the price of a decent dinner for two?

Unless you are an odd shape (and I am just enough tall and long-limbed to meet my definition of "odd"), I am increasingly of the view that the best options are RTW that fits where it is crucial (shoulders, chest, balance, sleeve pitch), with alterations where it isn't, or high-end bespoke, and ignore the middle ground of MTM and bargain (especialy online) bespoke.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I do not know who makes the Suits for TF. I have seen the top of the line shirts from TF
they are beautiful. really well made. the price is obscene, but i can't quibble with fabric or construction.
so if it fits, enjoy.
your problem is that there is no way the pants will fit properly, no matter how much alteration is done.
if you go to the TF boutique, see if it is possible to order the jacket and pants in different sizes
they can cut to order.
I don't know how many custom tailors are going to cut a suit that will look like Tom ford

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads