• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Ford

Ford

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm contemplating making a sizable purchase in a Tom Ford Shelton suit. For reference, I'm 6' 190lbs, athletic fit. Having tried the base A, I'm definitely more interested in a modern cut. From my limited understanding it has more of classic fit, so I'm guessing 42R would be appropriate.

I hope this question doesn't come off as ignorant, as I'm truthfully just introducing myself to bespoke and higher quality brands but can a decent tailor replicate the look/feel for half the price? Is there any brand, that's OTR that has a similar silhouette, or is TF unique in this space.

Thanks much

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Go to TF/Neiman Marcus/Saks Fifth store nail down your size buy on eBay? Shelton should be under $1.5k easy

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most bespoke guy who has fit similar to TF probably are English top guys which will cost you more than TF. You can get some of the cheaper Italian guys to deviate from their look but I wouldn’t bother you would risk more.

If you’re kind hard to fit RTW I suppose SuitSupply MTM in Washington can give you poor man TF, though I would think you would need to guide SuitSupply guys a lot before they give you something overly slim

pwc008

Reaction score
I have a number or TF garments. I don't think you can get near to the quality & look of TF without going over what TF costs, especially during NM or BG markdown time.

Of course, they are all cut slim, even the Windsor. I have one Windsor suit & sport coat; one Shelton suit; and one O'Conner suit. I am hard pressed to tell them apart in terms of fit. In terms of look, the Windsor is the most classic, followed by the Shelton (probably my fave), followed by the O'Conner. FWIW, the Windsors & O'Conner are double vented; the Shelton is single vented. The Windsor and Shelton suits are peak lapel; the Windsor jacket is large notch lapel (like Husbands); and the O'Conner is a small lapel, but not as a small as the O'Conner POW suit in No Time to Die.

Ford

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone’s responses. I’ve had trouble finding anything decent on eBay, mostly new garments at around $3,000.

I know there’s a few other sites: Grailed, Poshmark, Mercari - but I prefer eBay as their service is predictable.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you 100% sure about size? If you’re not in a hurry just set up an alert and wait. Also have you tried the real real, they have stupid price there, and mostly returnable (but you do pay some fee to return)

Ford

Reaction score
Are you 100% sure about size? If you’re not in a hurry just set up an alert and wait. Also have you tried the real real, they have stupid price there, and mostly returnable (but you do pay some fee to return)

Pretty sure. 42r, or 52 in basic A was snug but decent.

I’ll check out realreal. Forgot about that site!

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you want 'modern', O'Connor is your best bet. Skinnier lapels, trimmer fit. I have to size up from Windsor in O'Connor.

Shelton is in many respects a softer and trimmer version of Windsor. Whereas Windsor has three layers of canvas to create a strong chest, Shelton has two layers. The Shelton also has a thinner shoulder pad.

Shelton can also be had in a double vent.

Atticus and Cooper are similar to Windsor, and have slightly higher gorges.

Also, what's your budget?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hum I took same size in O'Conner and Windsor but yea O'Conner is definitely slimmer, but also my least favorite TF cut (as in why TF in that case, could do lots of something else)

I feel like my Atticus runs longer too (vs. Shelton), I like Shelton as modern Windsor though hard to find side vent Shelton on sale for whatever reason (eBay too, nearly every Shelton on eBay I see are center vent)

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hum I took same size in O'Conner and Windsor but yea O'Conner is definitely slimmer, but also my least favorite TF cut (as in why TF in that case, could do lots of something else)

I feel like my Atticus runs longer too (vs. Shelton), I like Shelton as modern Windsor though hard to find side vent Shelton on sale for whatever reason (eBay too, nearly every Shelton on eBay I see are center vent)

Agree about O'Connor. It seems to be the least unique look out of the models.

I would love to do MTM through TF one day. They're one of the only RTW designers offering double forward pleated trousers as part of their MTM program.

Bonus - Here's Jon Hamm in Shelton:

jon-hamm-garrett-hedlund-tom-ford-show-01.jpg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what's the px for TF MtM, I would assume you might as well pay English bespoke at that point, all the TF I got were like $1k top..., if I was to spend in the range of $7k+ I would just go all out and pay for something like Micahel Browne for whatever his current px is...

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what's the px for TF MtM, I would assume you might as well pay English bespoke at that point, all the TF I got were like $1k top..., if I was to spend in the range of $7k+ I would just go all out and pay for something like Micahel Browne for whatever his current px is...

My honest, and serious answer? Fly to Milan, where you can get MTM about $3,500 USD at their flagship. No VAT, or overseas markup.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wow, that's quite a differential, I would imagine Madison store charge $5k+ easy... (never bother to inquire, but just random guess)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads