• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to wear an odd vest?

Gentleman8

Reaction score
Patrick, does the pocket square also come from STP? I really like the way it matches the vest..

I'm certainly no expert but I thought the red was nice too.

Patrick06790

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gentleman8
Patrick, does the pocket square also come from STP? I really like the way it matches the vest.. I'm certainly no expert but I thought the red was nice too.
The first square is from Sam Hober (nee Mulberrywood). The second did in fact come from STP. The buttons in the second look red in the photo. They're not. Here's today's entry. I forgot the square here. It's a solid dark red, nothing fancy. I like red.
DSCF1490.jpg

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrick06790
The first square is from Sam Hober (nee Mulberrywood). The second did in fact come from STP.

The buttons in the second look red in the photo. They're not.

Here's today's entry. I forgot the square here. It's a solid dark red, nothing fancy. I like red.

DSCF1490.jpg

I like that. Are you wearing an odd jacket or a suit?

Gentleman8

Reaction score
eheh, I've just ordered the same vest from STP.. couldn't resist..
tounge.gif

I am wondering if this extra layer will fit well under the jacket (because of the thickness of the vest)? Normally I take size 42 and fill it all without using a vest..

Patrick, do you use a larger size jacket when your wear your vests?

Gentleman8

Reaction score
Will, my guess is that it's a jacket (because of the button down collar). I have one almost identical.

By the way Patrick, I don't know if winter is cold enough where you live but STP has very good prices on Terramar silk underwear, only $15. They are so comfortable you completely forget you are wearing them. They do not make you feel hot when you're indoors. You just wash them in the washing machine. They last 1 or 2 seasons -- eventually the thin silk develops tears.

These are the ones I get:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/pro...x?baseno=12040
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/pro...x?baseno=13040

The also make glove liners and socks liners which are great for winters sports (STP doesn't carry those though).

Highly recommended!

Patrick06790

Reaction score
Yes, that's a jacket. I haven't figured how to wear an odd vest with a suit. Or if, for that matter. The sizing on vests - at least from Orvis - is wildly inconsistent. I am generally a 42R but I had one labeled "large" that was enormous and another alleged "42" that was far too tight. I tend to use vests with my loosest jackets. That third pic is as tight as it gets (not very). I am in the process of moving and that combo was designed to facilitate shucking of coat and tie for box-schlepping purposes, and still be able to saunter over to the newspaper office (now only five minutes away) and be ready for action. Today's entry - another Orvis via STP and a wonderful shapeless old jacket that's perfect for a rainy day. I will be standing in a field this afternoon watching field hockey and soccer.
DSCF1507.jpg
DSCF1508.jpg

Gentleman8

Reaction score

That last vest is really nice as well -- even with the lapels.. And you seem to have some collection of ties! I put my belts & ties on a "spinner" hanger (as per pic). But these don't have much room on them, so you need several. My dream would be to have a walk-in closet! Some day maybe..

Ok, what about this vest then?
(it comes from Blair's, but no, I don't buy from them)..
laugh.gif

And talking about inconsistent sizes.. I'm usually 42S, sometimes 42R. Last summer I ordered a silk jacket from Jos. A. Bank, like this one but a different color. When I tried it on I couldn't believe it. The sleeves only reached my mid-forearms and the jacket length was 1.5 inches less than the shortest jacket I had.. This was not even close to 42S, even though that's what the labeled said. Either the jacket ended up with the wrong label for some reason, or they are completely off with their measurements. I wrote customer service but never received a reply
mad.gif
So J.A.B. is "blacklisted" for 6 months..
laugh.gif

That same week I also bought a CK blazer from Macy's, also size 42S, and I had to have the sleeves altered to make them half an inch shorter..... (the blazer is nice enough, the wool is textured rather than smooth, looks good for casual weekends).

Buying on the internet is often a hit and miss..

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naomideansxz