• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to learn more about suits?

viktor.to

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Haven't written here before even that I've been reading quite a lot. I have realized that there is a lot of knowledge here and that the old posts are a great resource to browse through for information.

But I have some questions which I don't seem to get answered with the search engine.

I'm starting to get more and more interested in suits and tailoring but I realize I don't know very much about it. So I'm wondering if anyone can recommend me some good books (preferably with pictures) that are worth reading about suits in general and what to look for in terms of quality and different cuts etc. Is there any magazine that someone likes?

I'm going to Hong Kong to stay there for a while so I'm going to visit some of the tailors mentioned on this forum, but I'm wondering should I bring pictures of suits I like or do the tailors now everything worth knowing?

I'm a student at the moment, but I'll probably be working in the finance sector in a year or so which made me realize that it is probably time to learn more about this stuff.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Viktor, Welcome to SF. You're right...there is a ton of information about suits in past threads. I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for but here is a list of threads searched for "books". Also, I'm sure that taking pictures to your tailor can only be a good idea. Best of luck!

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by viktor.to
Hi everyone!

Haven't written here before even that I've been reading quite a lot. I have realized that there is a lot of knowledge here and that the old posts are a great resource to browse through for information.

But I have some questions which I don't seem to get answered with the search engine.

I'm starting to get more and more interested in suits and tailoring but I realize I don't know very much about it. So I'm wondering if anyone can recommend me some good books (preferably with pictures) that are worth reading about suits in general and what to look for in terms of quality and different cuts etc. Is there any magazine that someone likes?

I'm going to Hong Kong to stay there for a while so I'm going to visit some of the tailors mentioned on this forum, but I'm wondering should I bring pictures of suits I like or do the tailors now everything worth knowing?

I'm a student at the moment, but I'll probably be working in the finance sector in a year or so which made me realize that it is probably time to learn more about this stuff.

You'd have to do a search, but I recall one excellent article by manton in which he described the construction of neapolitan suits. Actually, just search by user and go through all of Manton's old posts. He's covered a lot of what you'd need to know in a lot of detail. There's much more comprehensive info in these forums than in any book that's ever been published on the subject. Just keep looking.

Also look in the "what are you wearing now?" thread for examples of well-dressed people. Off the top of my head, some of the guys that always look good are: iammatt, edmorel, A Harris, chorse,toiletduck(i think), and soph.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics