• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to choose a tailor for my first custom suit

MyFirstOne

Reaction score
I'd love to hear your insights and experience with how to choose between tailors for a suit. I find it a little nerve-wracking. It is much more than buying in a store where I can see the result already, which in my case usually looks fine enough to be altered decently, but will never fit like a custom suit could/should. So I want to take the plunge and would love to hear how you have made that choice.

I am in SF, and have narrowed down on two (if you want to recommend another, please do)
  • Tailor's Keep has great reviews on yelp and Google. One aspect I like about Tailors Keep is that they offer alteration for outside garments. From their vibe on the website they also seem more focused on really getting to know their clients and developing a relationship.
  • HallMadden, formerly ProperSuit, also with great reviews on yelp and Google. Since HallMadden is a chain, this would depend on the person who is running the shop, Andrew, who also gets a lot of praise in the reviews.
I have read all the reviews incl. pictures and also read and watched what I could find from blogs/reviews including here. They are both offering an initial meeting so I want to visit them and get a feel for them, see how they listen and respond to questions and preferences, see some of their work, etc.

Are there specific questions you would ask them, any particular things to look for?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads