• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often do you wash your hair?

heartworm

Reaction score
I wash mine twice a month... I shower every day and just clean it with hot water, since even a good shampoo and conditioner (Rene Friis) will dry my hair out.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Its so humid here that if I leave it a couple days it gets mad festy, so basically every day....may skip it if I am running late, may go twice a day if exercise is involved.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A recent trend has been the "no-poo" method of cleaning hair. That is only using conditioners on the hair occaisionally (they have a small amount of surfactants which clean the hair) and clarifying once in a while and avoiding certain ingredients in most products ('cones' - silicones such as dimethicone - and I forget what else).

It's supposed to be good for the hair and relieve it of the stress of everyday shampooing.

Sounds great except my hair smells like hair expecially after a day of motorcycling, walking around / working outside and such.

Here is a bit about it. Of course, it is directed at women (and curly hair) but it can apply to men also.

Link

NTRODUCTION TO CG:

"CG" is a CurlTalk abbreviation for "Curly Girl," a book written by Lorraine Massey and Deborah Chiel, which advocates embracing our natural hair. With this objective in mind, Massey describes a new and revolutionary routine to accomplish healthy, well-behaved waves, curls and coils.

Although the very best way to do this routine is AFTER reading the book, we understand that many people just can’t wait another day because their hair is begging for help, so in order to make this easier here’s the basic guidelines of the routine:

Ia. The first step is to either totally eliminate or seriously limit the use of shampoo to cleanse our hair and scalp, the second is to use a clear gel to help keep frizz out, and the third to handle the hair in a very gentle manner; the book included many pictures that illustrate how it’s done.

The premise for this is tri-fold: 1) the fact that most commercial shampoos contain surfactants that are too harsh for our hair and tend to rob our hair of moisture, 2) that our hair tends to be more porous than straight hair, which makes totally rinsing out all traces of shampoo virtually impossible and that residue causes frizz, 3) the fact that most conditioners (COs) contain mild surfactants that paired up with a little manual friction are more than able to lift off dirt, debris and excess oil from our scalp and hair.

It is necessary to eliminate the use of most silicones (‘cones for short) from our hair care routine because most can only be removed from the hair with rather harsh shampoos. Washing with a CO while using them would cause them to quickly build up on the hair and this results in dull, matted hair and poor curl definition.

Ib. Choosing a good CO for CG - here is what we should look for in the label:

Emollients - soften, smooth the hair and give it shine. There are hundreds of them, natural ones include all vegetable oils and nut butters, others more widely u sed are glycerides and liposomes.

Proteins - temporarily “repair” the hair and/or protect it. Occasionally proteins will build up on some people’s hair, this is really more likely to happen on healthy or relatively healthy hair. In case of any concern, just alternate with a protein-free CO. Examples of them are silk, soy, wheat, keratin or individual amino acids (components of proteins).

Humectancts - absorb water and hold in moisture. They are absolutely crucial in a CO for curly hair. Panthenol, vegetable glycerin, sorbitol and honey are just a few humectants to look for on the label.

Moisturizers - add softens and control to curly hair. Amino acids and aloe vera are two great moisturizers.

Ic. HOW TO DO A CO-WASH:

After wetting your hair thoroughly, pour a dime sized amount in your hand and using the pads of your fingertips apply to one spot of your scalp and massage well, just as you would with shampoo. Repeat until you've scrubbed all over, then rinse ALL the CO off with plenty of warm water, still gently massaging with your fingertips so the friction will dissolve any residue. Next, pour more CO in your hand (sometimes another richer CO is necessary for this step), rub your palms together and apply over the length as you normally did in the past. Try to detangle with your fingers or with a very wide-tooth comb. For extra moisturizing clip your hair up and continue with your shower, then when you're done set the water as cool as is comfortable to you and rinse your head for just a second or two, gently squeeze the excess water off.

II. Choosing a gel - must be 'cone-free and preferably clear so it will allow the natural shine through.

III. Styling our curls - The main points are: 1) to NOT ever brush our hair; 2) to detangle it only when wet and soaked in conditioner, using a wide-tooth comb or whenever possible just our fingers; 3) to NEVER rub our hair with the towel* but to gently blot the water off using scrunching motions with it; 4) to apply product gently preferably by scrunching; 5) to air dry our hair whenever possible or diffuse only partially to avoid frizz and 6) not touch it while it's drying.

*microfiber towel works best.

IV. Clarifying - Sometimes it can happen that all residue from our gel, oils, etc. may not rinse off with with water and CO and we get a little "buildup". Very often it's easy to notice right away that our hair feels "gunky" but other times our hair just seems to stop responding to the routine, it may begin to tangle easily or our curls loose definition and shine; clarifying will refresh them and usually bring the bounce back. The recipes for natural clarifiers can be found in the forum section titled “Recipes – for hair and body”.

MODIFIED CG FOR WAVIES:

The author concedes to the fact that some people may have to continue using shampoo (hopefully a lot less often than before) because of an oily scalp, this is usually more common in those with wavy hair. To avoid drying the hair, here's the CG way to use shampoo:

1) Wet hair under a gentle shower. 2) Take a tablespoon of CO and using your fingers, lightly coat your hair from the ends to the midshaft. This hair has been around longer than the hair at the roots and needs more lubrication. The CO protects the hair by not allowing shampoo to penetrate and dehydrate the shaft. 3) If you're using shampoo, squeeze a half teaspoon* (no more) onto your fingertips and apply it gently to the scalp and roots only. don't use your nails. Start at the forehead and work around the scalp, then rinse thoroughly. 4) Add a half teaspoon of CO to your hair and work it through with your fingers. Then rinse quickly, for just a few seconds. No you're ready to blot-dry your hair.

*Diluting this amount in an ounce of water or so makes it much easier to distribute and gentler to the scalp.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I shower twice day and shampoo/condition once a day. It's starting to become a lengthy process now that my hair is longish.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I play sports enough to where i have to wash it after a hard basketball game. When sports aren't involved, i probably only wash my hair once every 2-3 days. I can tell when it needs it. I don't sweat much and have virtually no body odor so it's not that big a deal if i go a few days. Gotta wash the face and stuff so it's not greasy though. When my hair was cheap's length (got a haircut yesterday
frown.gif
) it was straight too the day after the shower and that wasn't cool. Sometimes it just got too greasy and things had to be done.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
every day, if not twice a day. Maybe I'll try poo-ing ever 2 days and conditioning every day, but the reason I poo every day is because I always put wax in my hair, and you need to use poo to get that out. If you don't wash out the wax, your hair gets ******* nappy.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My hair is probably longer than anyone elses on the forum, aside from maybe Fabienne. It is also very thick. It currently reaches my lower back. If I tilt my head back, I can stick the tip of my hair into the waistband of my pants. I cannot wash my hair more than once a week ( I usually do it on fridays ) because if I washed it every other day, I'd be using a bottle of shampoo a week. I can't really afford that. Generally I rinse it in very hot water every day, just to get the dirt and oils off.

fatty

Reaction score
For long hair: when you shampoo, apply to scalp and scrub. Then when/if you condition, apply to roots and work your way up. I've known girls with much longer hair than that.

I wash my hair every 2-3 days. It uses quite a bit more water and i have to blow dry, which is effortful.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by *****
For long hair: when you shampoo, apply to scalp and scrub. Then when/if you condition, apply to roots and work your way up. I've known girls with much longer hair than that.

This is almost exactly my routine. Unfortunately, doing this to where any result is achieved requires about a quarter of a bottle of shampoo. And about the same amount of conditioner.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every day in the morning

when I go out at the evening ( 5 times a week ) I just rince it and put some conditioner

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My hair looks 100 times better if I leave it for at least a couple days, but if I leave it it gets really greasy and I always feel kinda 'eeewww" when I have greasy hair.

Which sucks because there really is a striking difference between my flat, dull just washed hair and my hair after a couple days of not washing.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Valgar
I think it is important to note how long you hair is. I have hair down to my shoulders and wash it everyday. I know when I had short hair once a week was fine. I'm going to try ever other day from reading this thread though.

See, I have shoulder-length but really thick hair that tends to fluff up after a shower. So I've started washing 2, 3 times a week max. Otherwise I just look fluffy.

Fluffy is bad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads